PDA

View Full Version : besides DOWN what is warm material for a winter jacket

TraciG
11-25-2005, 11:21 PM
need help, I want a warm cozy winter jacket that isn't so puffy, need help PLEASE !!! Also where should I shop for one ?

THANKS

MarisaSF
11-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Gore-tex is in the warmest jacket I've ever put on. Are you looking for fashion or function?

mamamayi
11-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Wool is warm, especially if lined with Thinsulate or some other flat insulation. Best to have button or snaps, too, as zippers can let in the air if they don't have a flap to cover the zipper.

new_mommy25
11-26-2005, 03:04 AM
I really like wool. JCrew sells great coats and you can add a thinsulate layer for extrra warmth. I like this one http://tinyurl.com/bqvq7

TraciG
11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I want functional, I have a Fall wool coat, no way warm enough, I have to walk up the block to go food shopping so i'd like to be warm more then fashionable !!

Thanks

MarisaSF
11-26-2005, 03:10 PM
FWIW, my gore-tex (ski) parka is from LL Bean from many years ago. It is waterproof, longish (covers butt), and keeps out the wind too. I would think that LL Bean has better prices than REI/North Face, but I'm not 100% certain.
Good luck!

tiapam
11-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I would go with fleece or fleece lined. Check LL Bean and Lands End. Fleece is great for layering. I think both of these places also have jackets with zip out liners.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

fauve01
11-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Shearling! My warmest coat is definitely my shearling jacket. I wore it in bitter freezing cold Chicago and bitter freezing cold Detroit and bitter freezing cold Milwaukee and bitter cold freezing NY, and I was not be cold at all! My down, fleece, wool, and gore tex coats don't hold a candle to it. it's super lightweight too. I'm planning on getting a longer length shearling coat if we ever move back to a place with a cold winter even though they are crazy expensive (but oh-so-worth it IMHO if you are cold).

so, i don't know how warm you want, or how you feel about wearing animal skin, or how much you can spend, but I definitely recommend shearling (real shearling, not fake/faux) for exceptional warmth.

HTH!
Anne + DD 10-03