PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Outdoor Holiday Decoration Inspiration!

kfcboston
11-26-2005, 04:32 PM
This is out first winter here in our home, and I'm excited to decorate! I plan a less-is-more approach, that will include of course the wreath with bow on the front door. I'm contemplating how to do up our window boxes, as well as the possibility of using a spotlight. I'd love to do a single white light in each window, but 6 of our windows (incl. 4 in front!) are in kids' rooms and would be put out between 6-7pm. So I'm considering a low-key spotlight instead.

Please share your thoughts and inspirations for the front of your house, lawn, etc. - and photos!!!

barbarhow
11-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi Katie! I am so envious of your window boxes! I want them more for winter than summer. I would fill them with greens and some winterberry or holly. You can also put a short string of lights in each as an alternative to the candlelight in each window. Have fun!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

kfcboston
11-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Hey B! Definitely good thoughts. May head over to ACMoore today and poke around - if I can get out of the house! :)

barbarhow
11-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey-I'll email you-want to get together sometime before the holidays? Maybe Susan is around, too?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

kfcboston
11-28-2005, 11:48 AM
that'd be great! as far as i know she is around.

got some pine needle greens and berries yesterday - already have lots of pinecones here. we'll see how it comes together.....

jvorhis
11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Real greens and fruit we use. I love that look! I will post a pic of our house when it is finished.

CiderLogan
11-28-2005, 01:56 PM
A lot of families in my area do either a wreath on each window (which is pretty but expensive) or a larger wreath attached directly to the house if you have a big area without windows. I also love garland tied around any posts or railings you may have near your front door/porch. But I'm really no help because I tend to just hang a wreath and that's it! Maybe in the future I'll get more creative with lights, etc...

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another one due 5/29/06!

brittone2
11-28-2005, 05:17 PM
There was an amazing farmhouse nearby when I lived in PA and they used Pineapples in the center of the windowbox and other fruit as well. It was fabulous!

hellosmiletoday
11-29-2005, 11:15 PM
The idea of placing a light on 4 upstairs windows sounds good, as well as using some simple wreath and garland with red bows.

Where is the best place to get these items....I know often they go on sale before christmas. This is my first year owning a house:)

Mommy to baby girl 5/04