PDA

View Full Version : Making cool felt stockings -- can i do it?

phirey
11-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I love love love these stockings

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30867.jpg

and the others available at http://www.hableconstruction.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=272

but I'm too cheap to pay $58-$100 a stocking. I mean, they're just felt for criminy's sake! So how hard do you think knock-offs would be? Do you think I need real wool felt or the acrylic stuff at Michaels OK? Is wool felt stronger in case I really load up a stocking with something heavy? I don't have a sewing machine, but maybe a hot glue gun would do?

Has anybody attempted something like this?

babymama
11-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Ooh,,,those are pretty. I am not really a good judge of these projects, so I can't say...but if the job gets to be more than what you can take on, you might consider taking the job to a seamstress. The alterations place where I take the occassional garment for alterations does all kinds of sewing jobs based on a pictrure alone (including wedding gowns and formal wear). This option will probably not save you as much money as D-I-Y, but it would vbe really convenient, asnd I'm sure much cheaper than the retail price.
Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

buddyleebaby
11-26-2005, 11:47 PM
YES YOU CAN!

lizamann
11-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Those are so cute!

I bet it would be really easy to do. You would want to sew the actual stocking and hang tab, though, since I think glue wouldn't really hold together with stuff in the stocking. So you could handsew the stockings, and then glue the designs on. It really wouldn't take much to handsew them. Use some contrasting embroidery floss and do a blanket stitch, or do a simple running stitch which is easier (you can google these for directions.) And use some liquid white glue like Elmers, because doesn't hot glue get stiff when dry? You want some flexibility in a stocking. And I am partial to natural fabrics, but the acrylic stuff should work just fine.

Looks like a fun and easy project!

barbarhow
11-27-2005, 07:37 AM
I made this one 2 years ago and now have to make another for Anna. I am doing hers with opposite colors so they are complemetary but not identical. I think wool felt works best.
http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/feature/ff1003_stockings/ff1003_stockings.html

I am going to preview and make sure the link works.

ETA-I made the one that is shown in the link. The others are pretty cute, too. HTH.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

phirey
11-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Oh, that's perfect! Looks like I'm headed to JoAnn's today! Thanks for the link -- I needed a little direction before i ended up with felt scraps spread all over the kitchen table.

Thanks!

nd93
11-27-2005, 10:08 AM
I need to make a felt one for DH to match mine that my grandmother did. I would recommend using the best fabric you can find and sewing rather than gluing, that will help it last a long long time. Let us know if Joanns sells wool felt. With their coupons that would help the cost.

Is there a machine you could borrow from someone? Or else like PP suggested, hand stitiching would be fine, just a little time consuming but I think you be very happy with the result in the end.

marcywench
11-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I would handsew the stocking and hang tab. I made some about ten years ago. They are still in great shape! I used fusible web (iron on stuff you get at joanns) to attach the designs. It looks great.

Good luck.