PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Boys snubbed at Holiday Parade....

muskiesusan
11-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Last night I took my kids to a holiday lights parade held in my hometown. We saw one of the floats handing out large boxes to the kids, so I told my boys to get ready as they would be getting a present. As the float neared, I noticed it was sponsored by Lee Middleton Dolls, which used to be headquartered in the town, and that they were handing out dolls and cradles. A man then approached the boys, holding out a box for Nick, and then stopped, asked if they were both boys, to which I obviously replied yes, and preceded to take the box away stating they were for girls only. WTF?? I told him we like dolls, too, but he did not turn back. I couldn't believe it. How could they expect to give toys to girls and not boys? If they wanted to get specific about it, the company does make boy dolls, which I am sure they would be happy to sell me.

The parade was the lead story in the paper this morning (small town, not much news, lol) and the company stated their float had toys for the kids. I think I will definately write a letter to the editor since there weren't toys for all kids, as well as the parade organizers and Middleton Dolls.

What do you think? Or, should I just chalk it up to ignorance?

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

DebbieJ
11-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Ooh, I'd be fuming! I would definitely write a letter to the editor and to the company president/CEO and get your boys the dolls they deserved!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kedss
11-27-2005, 04:38 PM
yup, I'd be upset too! I would definitely make a stink about it! Grrrr!

elliput
11-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Write your letters. Your boys were discriminated against.

mudder17
11-27-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm not usually one to make a stink about things, but your boys were definitely discriminated against, nevermind that they were rude to you and your boys! I would definitely write a letter to the editor, parade organizers and Middleton Dolls!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Momof3Labs
11-27-2005, 05:05 PM
I can only imagine the tantrum we would have had if DS had been the target of such a snub (a box held out to him and then pulled away). And how do you explain that one to a preschooler? Yep, I would write to the company and cc the paper (or vice versa) - definitely not fair to publicize their "generosity" when it was gender-distinct!

jamsmu
11-27-2005, 05:16 PM
OMG!!! WRITE THOSE LETTERS and get your boys their toys!! That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard!

g-mama
11-27-2005, 05:38 PM
That's awful! They should've provided either one gender-neutral toy so every child could get one, or had something for the boys. I'm sure the little guys wouldn't mind a doll, but there had to be older boys (like my 5yo ds) there who would've looked at it like, "huh?"

That's wrong.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

new_mommy25
11-27-2005, 05:39 PM
That's outrageous! I would have been fuming as well. Not to mention DS would have had a tantrum right there if I had told him he was getting a present and then didn't recieve one. Defenitely write a letter!!

mommyj_2
11-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Definitely write letters to the paper and the company. That's absurd.

jeminaal
11-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Definitely write that letter!

hez
11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Yup, write the letter!!!

I should have said something when Payton got snubbed at a Reds game this summer-- American Girl Doll Night. Not that we needed one, but the principle of the thing... I mean, we had to buy a darn ticket for him because he was over 34" tall for goodness' sake. Argh.

Phooey on the parade people!

sbjf
11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey Kristen, I thought of you recently when I heard or read the name Marcos somewhere. I know you and your dh love the name Marco but thought maybe Marcos would be a nice variation while sort of keeping you away from an 'o' ending.

thomma
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
That's just wrong! You should definately write some letters.

Kim
t&e 5/03

kijip
11-27-2005, 10:22 PM
WTH? I don't see why they would publicize free toys for kids and then only give them to girls.

The only time I could see freebies like that being in gender distinct boxes would be like toiletry items for adults --- like sanitary napkins vs. aftershave!

buddyleebaby
11-28-2005, 12:11 AM
That is really terrible. How heartbreaking for your boys!
I would write a letter, no question about it.
Go mama, go!

darby24
11-28-2005, 12:16 AM
What? Geez, what a dumb move by that guy.

I hope you get some action through the company and newspaper.

bostonsmama
11-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Me, 17 (me, too....I think you should totally write that letter). The last thing we need is a toy company trying to reinforce gender stereotypes. How rude of the guy...or pobre cito (little baby boy who had to endure the gift being ripped from his hands). Shame on them.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

trumansmom
11-28-2005, 02:43 AM
and WE will start sending emails!

That's just flat out wrong!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

g-mama
11-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi Bonnie! Thanks for the suggestion. We made our final decision after reading all the posts on my earlier thread about this and have decided to go with Marco anyway. Thanks for thinking of me! :)

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

jamsmu
11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
yes!!! I would definitely e-mail!!!

kensjen
11-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes, if you like, post some info and we'll start an email campaign. ;) That really pi$$es me off. My son loves dolls, and who says they are just for girls? Also, very very rude to be handing out gifts to only girls. I am so surprised the parade organizers allowed this. I hope you aren't the only unhappy parent, and they realize what a huge mistake they made.

Don't think many of us will be buying Lee Middleton dolls.... :)

muskiesusan
11-28-2005, 12:08 PM
I have started on my letters and hope to get them out today. I haven't been able to locate an email address, just a contact us form on the website, so I will keep you updated on their response and decide then if further action is needed. I am hoping the one guy was just an idiot.

Alex loves babies right now and carries a doll around all the time. They would have made his day if they weren't so shortsighted!

Thanks again!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04