PDA

View Full Version : Any quilters out there?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-27-2005, 06:38 PM
I am getting close to being ready to quilt the top of a patchwork quilt I have been working on for new baby. Just a simple 4 inch square pattern that I want to put a very light batting in. Has anyone done this before? Do you use a hoop, start in the middle or at an edge, use long needles or short? Any tips would be so appreciated, I have spent a lot of time hand sewing all the squares together and afraid of messing up now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

kimbe
11-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Susan,

WOW! You hand sew your squares! YOU ARE MY HERO! :) I don't have the guts to even try that!

When I am ready to quilt, I pin the top, batting and backing together with a million safety pins. (I have the neato bent ones that are for quilting.) I make sure that everything is nice and smooth. When I quilt I use a hoop (a size that I am comfortable with)and make sure that the fabric is taught in the hoop. I start in the middle and work my way out. Sort of in a circular manner. I use #8 quilter's needles.

For batting, I always use Warm and Natural batting. It is very durable. It holds up for a lot of washings! http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=97248&PRODID=11885 I forget what the exact number is, but I think that you only need to quilt every 10 inches with the warm and natural. (Don't hold me to that number though!) I have made quite a few quilts and blankets and I used non-warm and natural for one of them and what a mistake that was! I would highly recommend using a cotton batting over a poly one. Harder to quilt through, but much more durable!

I also use a soft thimble and a little rubber disk to help grab stuck needles.

I hope that I have given you some useful information! I would love to see a picture of your quilt! Let me know if I can help anymore!

ellies mom
11-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Like Kim said except that I'd probably quilt closer together, no further than 5-6 inches apart. Also I use a different thimble. The one I use is like these. They are spendy but I love it.
http://www.notions.fabricstodyefor.com/images/Notions/ThimblesOnQuilt.gif

Enjoy the quilting, quite honestly, it is probably my favorite part. Be sure to show us the end result, and way to go on the hand sewing part!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Thank you to Kim and Veronica, I will definately check out the batting you recommend. Yes, sometimes I just crave something handmade that a machine has not touched. Thanks for all your help to you both. When you pin do you just go around the perimeter? Or through the body too?

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

tarabenet
11-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Pin all the way throughout. Start in the middle, and work your way out. (Also the way to do your quilting, generally.) Pins should be on a sort of a grid -- for your pattern, maybe one in the center of each square? Make sure back hasn't slipped on you as you go, or you'll have puckers. Oh, and start with batting and backing that are two inches larger than the top, all the way around. This is more important for machine quilting, but never a bad idea for hand quilting, either. When you are done, the back will have drawn up a bit. Just trim everything so it is all square, and bind! Good luck Susan!

JulieL
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Another vote for Warm and Natural batting - I LOVE this batting!

I don't use a hoop, as I never could get the needle to go through it for very many stitches. I did it free hand, and started in the middle as well. I'm not a novice quilter so I go by my rules and not the "main stream" ones. After seeing about the quilters at Gee's Bend, I figure anything goes, and we're all artists in our own right!

Good Luck!!!

JulieL
11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
oh and make sure to get QUILTERS pins NOT any saftey pin. The bent ones are best but you can also by the straight kind. The pins are made out of a metal (nickel I *think*) so they won't leave a rust on the fabric over time. And definately pin the whole darn quilt, as this is how you make sure all three layers aren't puckering.

I too would love a pick of your quilt, I'm still working on my daughter's baby quilt.

kimbe
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi Susan,

I was talking with friend today about quilting today and I thought about you and your quilt! (I thought of you because my friend asked if I had sewn the squares together by hand and I said NO!) How is it going! I would love to see a picture!

mskitty
01-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I pretty much agree with the previous posts. Warm and Natural is a great batting for baby quilts. Every 5-6 inches for quilting or tying. Make sure to stay consistant with your threads. I use 100% cotton fabric and use 100% cotton thread otherwise the quilt can get a little funky when its washed and how it wears over the years. Another option to the safety pins is to baste the entire quilt before handquilting it. Always start in the center to work imperfections out to the edges. Use whatever type of needle is most comfortable for you. Usually most hand workers prefer short and sharp ones :)

I'm incredibly impressed by your handwork. :) I have no patience and am a machine type of gal all the way.

MsKitty