PDA

View Full Version : Prenatal vitamins with DHA

quinnsmom
11-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I am looking for advice on which prenatal vitamins to take. We are about to start TTC and called my OBGYN for a prenatal prescription since that's what I did before we conceived DS. They don't give out prescriptions anymore and told me to get an over the counter vitamin.

I am looking for prenatal vitamins with the omega 3 fatty-acids. So far I have found a vitamin called Primacare One from drugstore . com and another that actually has a prental vitamin geared toward each stage of pregnancey called Promise Prenatal - they have a DHA supplement in addition to this vitamin. This particular vitamin interests me because of the decreased iron levels in their preconception/1st trimester vitamin ias supposed to help decrease the "sick to your stomach feeling". I was SO sick during the first trimester with DS. I will try anything if it helps me not feel nauseated!

Has anyone tired either of these or can you recommend a prenatal with the Omega 3's?

Thanks!

icunurse
11-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I can't give a recommendation about a prenatal, but a few of my friends who were getting queasy from their pills cut them in half and took a part in the am and a part at night. Good luck!!
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

brittone2
11-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I took Primacare prescription prenatals while pg with DS. Maybe they have an over the counter version or now sell it over the counter. It had a morning dose that contained essential fatty acids and calcium (not sure if it had DHA specifically) and a regular prental PM dose. That would give you the calcium and iron at separate times which supposedly helps a bit with absorption and maybe having the iron containing portion in the night dose would help with the nausea a bit?

quinnsmom
11-27-2005, 09:45 PM
You're right - they don't have an over the counter version of the Primacare. I thought I would be able to order them online - but they asked for a prescription/doctor contact.

So back to my research...

June Mommy
11-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Another vote for Primacare!

Momof3Labs
11-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Can you just take two separate pills? One OTC prenatal, and one Omega 3 supplement?

quinnsmom
11-28-2005, 01:26 PM
>Can you just take two separate pills? One OTC prenatal, and
>one Omega 3 supplement?

That's what I decided to do. I ordered the Source Natural's Mother's Choice Prenatal mulitple vitamins and they come with a supply of seperate DHA softgels. This was actually a good deal price-wise compared to the Promise Stages that I was going to get.

saschalicks
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
This time around my dr gave me a prescription of the new pre-natals that have an extra Omega 3 capsule. I have to say that I take my vitamins at night b/c of the sick factor. I did that w/DS#1 and OB said it was fine. I highly suggest that instead of in the morning. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the vitamin, but stuart natal sticks out in my head.

cvharris
11-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Enfamil makes a DHA supplement called Expecta that you can buy over the counter (I bought mine at Target) and use along with the regular prenatal vitamin of your choice. I did this until my regular prenatal prescription ran out and then switched to a prescription that included DHAs.

My midwife gave me a bunch of samples of prenatal vitamins with DHA to try and I ended up liking one called OptiNate the best. It's the same company that makes the Prenate GT, which I took during my first pregnancy. The OptiNate is two pills that you take daily, one a regular vitamin and the other the DHA supplement. I take them together at night.

I also tried the PrimaCare and the PrimaCare One. I had a tough time with the size of the PrimaCare One vitamin - it is huge. The regular PrimaCare is a lot like the OptiNate (it's two pills) but they specify one pill for AM and one for PM and that seemed like too much for me to remember.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
It's a BOY! Baby brother due 12/18/05