PDA

View Full Version : How to nip DD's new habit in the bud? It's Nose Picking!

cmo
11-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Here's another one the parenting books don't address much! DD has discovered the little treasures in her nose, and thinks they make a lovely snack besides. Blech! I'm not sure how to curb this new habit (or at least to keep her from doing it in public). She is 3 years old. Anyone BTDT?

Thanks very much! :-)

Chris

ctmom
11-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Whenever I catch my 4 1/2yo in the act I just casually ask her if she wants a tissue. It lets her know I saw her doing it and she usually stops...Of course dh jokes "what is the best way to break her finger? Punch her in the nose!!"

bostonsmama
11-28-2005, 10:37 AM
When I took care of a toddler for a couple weeks, his mother told me touch his hand while in the nose and say, "Hey! We clean our noses with a tissue. You don't want to get sick do you?" Since kids have such germy hands it really is a bacteria issue...they are putting virus and bacteria from under their fingernails straight into their dark, moist mucosal membranes....making it ripe for developing an illness. You don't want to embarrass them, but clearly explain why and where the appropriate place is. You can make it tedious by saying she has to wash her hands before and after and use a tissue...but it's so hard for little ones to wrap a tissue around their fingers and fit it in their nostrils...so you have my sympathies.

Here's a pretty good article explaining why kids do it and how to respond.

http://www.parentkidsright.com/pt-nosepicking.html

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

kensjen
11-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I have noticed with my son, that the bigger deal I make of it, the more he will do it. I try to ignore it for the most part.

Your DD is older and may understand a more logical explanation about why we don't pick our noses. LOL But I would do it very matter-of-fact, for some reason when kids know how much something bothers us, they love to do it. ;)

egfmba
11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I've got the same problem. But, since DS has started school, I've found salvation.

His teacher makes them wash their hands every time they put a finger up their noses. Granted, it's a small class, so she has time to do this, but it works at home, too. Now he just needs a warning about washing his hands and he takes his finger away from his nose. And he's only been in school a few weeks!

Tedious, but it's working for mine.

Good luck!

eva

P.S. I don't help things much. I keep telling him to let me know if he finds any gold, 'cause I'm poor! :)