PDA

View Full Version : How many BH contractions is too many??

LucyG
11-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I know they're normal, but I just seem to be having a lot of them. They aren't painful, but I'm definitely feeling them. I'm 24 weeks, and started having them at 8 weeks with this pregnancy. I was 80% effaced and 2 cm by 34 weeks with my DD, and started having BH at 20 weeks with that pregnancy. I'm a little concerned, since we are supposed to go to Disney World in a few weeks, and I'll be walking a lot there. I have a midwife appt. on Wednesday of this week, so of course I'm going to discuss this with her. Just wondering if any of you had a ton of BH contractions that turned out to be nothing to worry about. TIA!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
nursed for 2.5 years!
And . . . Blessing #2 due in March!

tiikeri2
11-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I had a lot of BH contractions with both pregnancies. Is it possible that you are not getting enough water? Both my doula and my doctor would recommend taking 36 oz in 1/2 hour and lying down on my left side for a while to take care of bothersome BH contractions. It worked too! (water intake diluted the oxytocin in my system, or something like that)

You may just have an "overachieving" uterus that really wants to be fit for the delivery! :)

I don't know what to tell you about WDW. I think if the contractions are going strong there, you should definitely get off your feet and stay hydrated. It's not worth risking an early delievery IMO.

Talk to your midwife, and I'm certian she will have much better advice/info than I! Just know you are not alone with the strong BH!

Kay

momma_boo
11-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Definitely discuss with your midwife, but I had more frequent and stronger BH contractions with #2. Of course, I was more active since I was chasing around a toddler. They used to be strong enough that it would force me to stop what I was doing and just breathe through it. Oh, it didn't seem to affect my readiness at the end (in terms of how dilated I was). Just drink lots of water when you get them and try to relax until it passes. (I'm remembering DH dragging me up and down every aisle at costco while I waddled along with major BH contractions the whole time).

pritchettzoo
11-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Drink some water! I had more with Eli, probably because I was chasing Gracie instead of sitting at a desk. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

ilovetivo
11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I had a lot of BH's too and way early. I think 12 weeks maybe. More than 6 an hour is too much, if the water and laying down doesn't settle them down.

g-mama
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I've had tons with each of my three pregnancies. They start early for me, in the second trimester. With my first, they had me track them and I was having 4-8 per hour. They put me on bedrest for 3 days and since that did not affect anything and my cervix was not dilating, they decided that was normal for me.

With each pregnancy, they've become more frequent and stronger in intensity, which my OB told me to expect. Right now, at 37 weeks, I have about 8 per hour that can be so strong, I have to stop moving and breathe through them like a real contraction. Just went today to the doctor and I'm not dilated at all.

Of course, everyone is different, but wanted to tell you that it can be normal and not be anything to worry about.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05