PDA

View Full Version : OT-Do you use your Self-Cleaning Oven feature?

bostonsmama
11-28-2005, 12:57 PM
DH just bought me that new oven I've been wanting and over Thanksgiving we got some drippings on the bottom that crusted over. This is the first time I've ever had a self-cleaning oven (in my entire life!!), and while I'm happy it has the SC feature, i don't want to heat the oven up to 550 degrees for 3 hours (yikes, expensive) for just a little goo. Besides, the instruction manual says the fumes can harm birds and small animals, and it's just too cold to be ventilating the house.

So, for those w/ SC ovens, how often do you use the SC feature, and do you pack up the kiddies and leave the house? And what do you use to clean small spills. The manufacturer says no oven cleaners.

TIA.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

ctmom
11-28-2005, 01:33 PM
we use it a few times a year, but only when I go out with the girls and dh stays home. For small spills I try to wipe clean after it has been on for a while, like after I cook a roast, using the same cleaning pads I use for the smooth cooktop.

My sil using the SC feature after the kids to to sleep.

HTH!

DebbieJ
11-28-2005, 02:17 PM
We had spillage also. Tried to use the SC feature and it started smoking horribly and then it caught on fire. I kid you not. DS and I left the house while DH opened all the windows with the smoke detectors blaring (darn wired detectors with battery backup--when one goes, they all go and you can't shut them off!)

The flames died down within a minute. DH then resorted to good ole soap and water with a nylon scraper. Got most of it up. I don't think we'll be trying the SC feature again anytime soon.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

bostonsmama
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
That makes a lot of sense according to the instructions. It said something about wiping up all excess goo or you can permanently stain and damage the bottom pan during a self-clean cycle. So, why ever use the stupid feature? Oh well...off to try soap and water....fussy little oven! ;)

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

hellosmiletoday
11-28-2005, 03:26 PM
In the house I rented before, I only used it twice in two years, when I moved in and when I moved out :). I've only used it once in the past 6 mo in my current home -- when i moved it:) I am a cleaning freak, but the oven is one thing that doesnt bother me.
THe house does smell pretty bad during the cleaning cycle. I didnt realize how toxic it was so next time I use it I will definitely go outdoors.

I'm not sure that easy off would be a preferred...the fumes from that are really toxic as well!

Remember to take out the baking racks before using the self-clean feature...or else they can be permenantly damaged!

urquie
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
in five years, i have never used the sc feature on my oven (which was new). i just line the bottom of the oven with one huge piece of tin foil and replace it when ever the spills on the bottom smell stronger than the food i'm cooking. :) i think most stores sell the extra large rolls of tin foil.

kdeunc
11-28-2005, 06:53 PM
I think that there are some oven cleaners now made for self-cleaning ovens. You might want to check those out.

Piglet
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
We use ours a fair bit. I set it at night so that it doesn't bother us and I try to leave a window open if I can. I actually leave my racks inside and have never had any damage. It is best to scrape off the really big goo, but sometimes I don't even do that. The worst thing is pie drippings - anything with sugar in it smokes horribly.

kransden
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I just used ours for the first time. It was a BAD sugary spill! It takes a total of about 4 hours. We opened the kitchen windows and used a box fan to get rid of the smoke. As I said, it was a bad spill. After about an hour -- no more smoke. When I opened the oven afterwards there was a little pile of ashes. So it depends on how bad the mess is. If you think you can get it clean in under an hour, I wouldn't bother.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

kaileysmom
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Actually, when we bought our house I had the Whirlpool guys come out to look at our microwave and he told me not to use the SC function on our oven (Whirlpool as well). He said the intense heat for such a long time will actually damage the oven. It is digital and he said the mother board (or whatever it's called) will burn out. He said it's best to just use EasyOff or some sort of cleaner.