PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is there a better way to scrub my floor than on my hands & knees?

Karenn
11-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I have a vinyl kitchen floor. It seems like the only way I can really get it clean is to use a scrub brush on my hands and knees. The mops I've tried and the swiffer type things just don't get it as clean as I think it should be. Am I missing something? It seems like there should be a better way.

TIA,

Momof3Labs
11-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Hire a cleaning lady to do it for you? ;-)

hellosmiletoday
11-28-2005, 09:55 PM
It may be the type of vinyl? We just got new upgraded vinyl floors (armstron solarian) and they are easier to clean than any other type of floor -- even easier than wood.

I use microfiber cloth attached to a clorox mop, and just use water. Armstrong does not recommend using detergent so that it doesnt get in the indentations of the vinyl. They also make a special cleaner that I'm supposed to get for free soon...but I'm not sure if I would even need it.

Dont use ammonia or anything that would strip the floor of its finish or possibly discolor it.

HTH...I think vinyl is so much easier to maintain than tile.

hellosmiletoday
11-28-2005, 09:55 PM
It may be the type of vinyl? We just got new upgraded vinyl floors (armstron solarian) and they are easier to clean than any other type of floor -- even easier than wood.

I use microfiber cloth attached to a clorox mop, and just use water. Armstrong does not recommend using detergent so that it doesnt get in the indentations of the vinyl. They also make a special cleaner that I'm supposed to get for free soon...but I'm not sure if I would even need it.

Dont use ammonia or anything that would strip the floor of its finish or possibly discolor it.

HTH...I think vinyl is so much easier to maintain than tile.

mskitty
11-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I hear ya on the vinyl floors. We do the swiffer wetjet like once a week... but about twice a year I get down on my hands and knees to do the old fashioned scrubbing with Soilax. I took this into account when we redid the kitchen/dining room vinyl. I picked one that looks like leaf prints so the dirt sort of blends in since we aren't the world's best housekeepers.

MsKitty

trentsmom
11-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I use a rubber broom (something like this http://www.swedeclean.com/scandinavia/virtualstore/rubberbroom.html ) I throw some soapy water on a section of the floor, scrub with the bristles, flip the broom over to gather up the dirty water, and use a towel to soak up the dirty water. Then I repeat with the next section. It's been a really long time since I've done it. I just use the swiffer wet cloths and don't look too closely at the floor!

mamamayi
11-29-2005, 12:27 AM
I bought a scrub brush that has a long handle that screws into it. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it from! I just did an internet search and you can get a deck scrub brush, which is supposed to be good on a variety of surfaces, for less than $20. It has plastic bristles, and you screw the handle into the brush part. Here's an example:

http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup34606.html

It looks a little different than what I have, but the same idea.

AngelaS
11-29-2005, 07:14 AM
Nope. LOL I always do mine on my hands and knees too! For quick spot cleans, I spray some vinegar and water and then wipe it up with a rag. :D

Moneypenny
11-29-2005, 11:01 AM
My compromise is to only do it on my hands and knees once a month or so, with a regular sponge mop with hot hot water and ammonia the rest of the time. (Actually, DH does the sponge mopping so I shouldn't take credit for that.)
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
We made it to a year!

wencit
11-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I asked my mom the same question when I first moved into my own home, and she said no. She said she's tried all the various mops, Swiffers, rags, etc over the years, and nothing gets the floors as clean as getting on your hands and knees.

I tried it for about 6 months, and found that it was so tiring that I eventually made a deal with DH. Now he cleans all the floors and vacuums the carpet, and I deal with the yuckiness in all the bathrooms. It's working for us so far. :)