PDA

View Full Version : Hanging wreath on glass door??

bostonsmama
11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
We put in a new glass storm door at our front entrance. I like to hang wreaths year round, but here's my dilemma. If I hang it on the door (w/ a metal over-the-door hanger), it scrunches up b/c the space is too small btwn the glass door and metal door, which also prevents the glass door from closing when we leave. When I hang it on the outside, the metal hanger--which fits fine--scratches the glass and when the twigs/sticks blow in the wind they scratch the glass, too. What do you do? and is there anything out there that can go behind a wreath to help prevent scratches?

ETA: What about two large suction-cup hooks? One to anchor the top and one to anchor the bottom so it doesn't scratch against the glass? Anyone know where to find these?

TIA.
Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

Sandy
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
3M makes some Command Adhesive products that you can stick directly to the glass door. Maybe they will work?

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/command/products/index.jhtml

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

JTsMom
11-30-2005, 01:38 PM
nak

you can find suction cup hooks at target or home depot

octmom
11-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I think I got my suction hooks at Michael's a few years ago. The brand I have is Snap Hooks, I think. They hold really well. I've only used one hook at the top of the wreath on the outer glass door and never had any probelms with scratching.

HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

linsei
11-30-2005, 03:19 PM
I have the same storm door dilema. Currently my wreath is squished! The suction cups seem like a good idea. Your thought reminded me of the suction cups we use for the candle cords in our windows. The size is small, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches, but they have a slit for an electric cord on the opposite side that would be perfect to put on the metal part of the wreath to protect the glass. Check the electric candle section - they might have larger sizes. I would probably use 4 of them though; otherwise, the wind would probably cause it to scratch on the sides.

Linda

http://b2.lilypie.com/xz6em5/.png[/img][/url]

tiapam
11-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Can you put some clear contact paper on the part of the glass that is getting scratched? Also, some clear packing tape around the metal hanger.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

icunurse
11-30-2005, 03:40 PM
We have a few of these that we use on both glass and metal doors. They work great! Here's a link to one place we've purchased them from, but search under "magnetic wreath holder" for more options. I think they might even be at Walmart....

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=910

ETA: Here's a better price (no shipping!) if you live near an Ace Hardware...
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-magnetic-wreath-holder--pi-2117582.html

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

marie
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
I second the magnetic holder. Also, if you use totloks on your drawers/cabinets, the magnetic holder works as an emergency backup "key". multitasker - gotta love it :)

marie
mama to alexandra 9/03

phirey
11-30-2005, 07:11 PM
We got our magnetic wreath holder at Target -- love it!

bostonsmama
11-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Unfortunately my car just died and we wound up with over $600 in repairs to replace the timing belt, bearings and water pump...oh, and DH had to replace the alternator for the 3rd time...so I think I'm going to go the cheap route and try that clear packing tape either around the door or around the back of the wreath. But I'm gonna look for that magnetic wreath holder as soon as we can afford it!!

Thanks again!
Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

hellosmiletoday
12-01-2005, 12:49 AM
What kind of storm door did you put? We are getting water inside our house and need to get one ASAP!

Mommy to baby girl 5/04