PDA

View Full Version : Oh for crying out LOUD - WWYD??

Judegirl
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
So my 19-month old can just about get out of the crib, but if she makes it she's plummeting to the floor - there's very little tentative energy with this kid.

I have stupid-short arms and cannot reach her with the crib rail up unless she's standing. Since she's still night-waking multiple times, we go in there and need to get to her for various reasons, which requires raising and lowering the crib rail. We're getting there with a dliuted bottle, but not quite there yet.

So I'm thinking a crib tent won't work. Am I wrong? I do not want to put her into a toddler bed yet - she's still very impulsive and reckless and I'm afraid she will wake and start playing rather than call for us. And, well, I'm just not ready for her to be in a bed!

So what should I do? I'm frustrated - we're just starting to make some progress at night and we're not even moved in and babyproofed yet; the crib is our only safe harbor.

Thanks for any ideas/advice,
Jude

Momof3Labs
11-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Why wouldn't a crib tent work? I don't understand what you mean by that. This is exactly the situation that we used it for - and it worked perfectly for well over a year!

Judegirl
11-30-2005, 02:27 PM
The reviews I read on Amzon for the Crib Tent II said that you can't get the rail down with the tent on...not the case?

Momof3Labs
11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Not the case at all.

kath68
11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Can't help on the crib tent front, but as a temporary fix, maybe you should put a bunch of pillows at the base of her crib -- big couch pillows, or something -- to cushion her fall, just in case.

It sounds inevitable that she will be making it out on her own, and it is unrealistic for you to keep vigil waiting for it to happen. I know a couple of parents who did the cushion thing, and they heard it the first time the baby made it out of the crib, yet the baby wasn't hurt. One child was a little stunned by the fall, and didn't try it again for quite a while.

I have never used a crib tent, but can you put the crib sides a bit lower and then use the crib tent -- so that way you can still reach in, but the crib tent doesn't have to be detached?

Judegirl
11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, problem solved, then...I wonder what they're talking about! Is the one you have the Tots in Mind Crib tent II??

Thanks!
Jude

Momof3Labs
11-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Yep, it is. Maybe it has to do with the style crib? I don't know, but we never had that problem.

Karenn
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Maybe it with the old style crib tent. We can't get the rail down when it's on our crib. We have the old one, not the new one. I know sometimes with similar products it seems like they just shift all the old reiviews to the newer product. My first thought would be to keep a step stool next to the crib that you could climb up on to reach in and get DD.

Toba
11-30-2005, 03:08 PM
As everyone already said ... a Crib Tent II will definitely work!! My son was maybe a month or two younger than your DD and got out of the crib one night while my husband and I were watching TV. Nothing like the pitter patter of little feet on ceramic tile when there definitely should NOT be pitter patter sounds to make your heart stop! Our son was just not ready for a toddler bed (still not two or three months later either), so the tent was our only option and it's worked out great!

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*