PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners - Greenies dog treats may be dangerous to your dog

Twin Mom
11-30-2005, 11:31 PM
I just saw this on the local news and thought I would share. I was just thinking I need to buy more Greenies for my dogs, but after seeing this story, I think I will skip them for now. Better to be safe than sorry :-)

http://www.wsbtv.com/family/5373540/detail.html

MarisaSF
11-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Thank you! I just forwarded that story to my mom, some dog-loving friends, and my cat-loving sister!

wimama
12-01-2005, 12:32 AM
My mom just bought these for here dogs last week, when I was out on vacation. Gulp, on my recommendation. I have heard that peoples dogs really like them.

Thanks for the article. I forwarded it to my mom.

pritchettzoo
12-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Thank you! We give those to our dog! :(

ETA: We won't be any more. Just to clarify.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

zen_bliss
12-01-2005, 03:14 AM
we've bought quite a few over the years. they aren't great, they're basically cornstarch and some flavoring that makes dogs go absolutely insane for them. the "85% digestible" part is bad news, as is the shrug shoulders company response. it stinks that those owners don't have recourse for veterinary expenses.greenies are going off our shopping list now.

the article did strike me as alarmist 'something else to worry about!' filler, though. for perspective, keep in mind a similar article could be written about pieces breaking off of tennis balls and rubber/plastic toys, each with a greater bowel obstruction and fatality rate than greenies. as the article summarizes "Vets say nearly all dog treats, chews and toys can make your pets sick. They say it's important to keep a close eye on them."

murpheyblue
12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing that.

At least that saves me some $$$$. Greenies for 2 dogs are expensive!