PDA

View Full Version : The Grinch came to our house...

TaChapm
12-01-2005, 11:55 AM
And stole almost all of our Christmas gifts from our garage. :( They also took Jackson's Kettler and my Peg Perego Aria Twin. Looks like they made off with over $1500 worth of stuff. I suspect it was someone in our neighborhood because there are no through streets here so we are fairly isolated.

I am so mad! They broke into my husband's truck (no alarm) and used the garage door opener to get in. I don't know how I didn't hear the garage door open. I am just so thankful that I always lock the door from the garage into the house and that they didn't come in or take Jacob's truck. I shutter to think what could have happened.

I had all of my Christmas shopping done by the end of October and had been buying things on sale (buy 1 get 1 free). There is no telling how much it will cost me to replace everything now if I can even get it. I always save all year long and then take out my money in Oct. to buy everything. I don't even know what to do now. I checked with our insurance and our deductable would cost us more than we would get back so we are just out of luck. The police say we probably won't be getting anything back which I wasn't really counting on. What a way to start December off.

Lesson learned! I am calling an alarm company today and I am also going to get one installed in Jacob's truck. It was just too easy for them. LOCK your door from your garage to your house!!! There is no telling how bad things would have been if we didn't. What kind of a low person steals a child's Christmas and trike. (Our beloved Kettler) :(

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05

http://b4.lilypie.com/p1eI0/.png[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060609/3/0/1/-6/.png

aliceinwonderland
12-01-2005, 12:00 PM
That is horrible!! I am so sorry you are going through this.

I cannot believe it (well, I can, but it's still so sad!)

MarisaSF
12-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Tara! That is truly horrible! I'm so sad and sorry for you and Jackson.
Thank you for providing the safety reminders.

missym
12-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Tara, that is just WRONG! At least they could have left the trike. What kind of a person does that to a child?

I'm so sorry, but thank goodness you are all safe.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

bostonsmama
12-01-2005, 12:12 PM
OMGosh...how awful to be violated in such a way! That is just down-right deplorable and I hope those thieves get theirs when it "comes around." It's so true that most of the time possessions aren't recovered. Perhaps you could notify your community/neighborhood watch organization? In our neighborhood a year or so ago there was a string of car jackings and break-ins. The police were remiss to do anything about it until they really raised their voices.

At night, we turn off our garage door opener (we have a light switch to do it though) so that it can't be opened no matter what...but your tragic story is a great reminder for me to keep doing that. We also took an opener out of the car that's outside our garage, too for the same reason. Have you ever watched that show "It takes a Thief" on TLC or Discovery? It has great tips for how to prevent future break-ins.

I pray for an emotional and financial recovery from this for you. No one deserves that. Hugs mama!

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

JacksMommy
12-01-2005, 12:14 PM
That is so awful. It is such a violation to have people come on to your property and take your things. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Hugs, mama!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

TaChapm
12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
You know, It has never crossed my mind that we could be broken into that way. I would have never even thought that. Now you can bet that we will be taking our opener out of the car and seeing about turning off our garage door opener.

I do feel so violated and I am just irate about someone doing this to a child. I had hoped this would be such a special Christmas and now this is just going to be hanging over us. The irony in this is that my sister bought Jackson the Grinch over Thanksgiving and it is all he wants to watch.

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

DebbieJ
12-01-2005, 12:21 PM
OMG! Thankfully you are all okay. I can't imagine how desperate a person might be to steal Christmas gifts for kids and your son's Kettler. Wow.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

jillmk
12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Oh my gosh, that is so awful! Who would do such a thing??? You poor thing--how upsetting.

octmom
12-01-2005, 12:26 PM
That is absolutely HORRIBLE!!! I am so sorry this happened to you. May the schmuck(s) who did this get a stocking full of coal and everything else that is coming to them.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

kedss
12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
:( I'm so sorry this happened to you!

daniele_ut
Tara - I am SO sorry to hear about this. What kind of an awful person would do such a thing. I am very glad that no one was hurt and that the damage wasn't worse, but I am still so, so sad that this will make your Christmas so much more difficult this year.

buddyleebaby
That's horrible. I'm really sorry.
As angry as you are, remember that they're just things (very NICE things). The important thing is you're all ok.
What a sad, scary experience.

NatalieM
12-01-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I can't believe someone would actually do that. It's sad really.

Thank you for the safety reminder. I do NOT lock the door from our garage into the house and DH always get on me about it. I will definitely remember from now on. Sorry again.

bcky2
12-01-2005, 12:43 PM
big (((hugs))) that is so horrible. thankfully they didnt come in the house and no one was hurt. how can people be so cold and mean :(

we dont lock our door from the garage to the house but i will be doing it now!

mainepotato
12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
How horrible!! I'm so sorry this happened. What kind of heartless person would steal from a child??

By any chance did you use a credit card for any of the things that were stolen? I know American Express has some kind of Purchase Protection Plan that will reimburse you for items stolen within 90 days of the purchase. I don't know how much good it will do, I'm just racking my brain for anything that might help.

I'm so sorry! :-(

redhookmom
12-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh my, I am so sorry. I have no idea what kind of person does something like that.

annasmom
12-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Tara:

I am so sorry. I cannot imagine how angry I would be! Please try not to let it ruin your holiday season! (I know that will be hard!)

kellyotn
12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh how crappy. In our area, its happening all over this holiday season. They think its the same group of people even though its happening miles and miles across the metro area. :-(

Great tip about NOT leaving garage door openers in cars and locking the garage doors from the inside.

Just another sad thing you need to worry about - a co-worker's house was broken into during the day awhile back. The police told them they needed to worry about the theives COMING BACK because they knew they'd be replacing everything with new stuff. grrr. Glad to hear you are getting an alarm. (He lived on a nice cul de sac, they broke into the basement window and then pulled their vehicle into the garage, they even took food!)

So sorry this has happened to you, I can only imagine the sense of violation. Yes, the losing "stuff" you've worked hard to get deals on is bad enough, but knowing they were in your property is just creepy.

I'm just so sad and angry for you!

wencit
12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
That's truly despicable.

On the other hand, I'm so glad to hear that everyone in your family is all right. I know it's hard to remember, but that's the most important thing.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

TraciG
12-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I am so sorry :(

jec2
12-01-2005, 01:08 PM
that stinks :( I am so sad for you. So sorry about the beloved kettler too. Hugs to Jackson and you mama.

hez
12-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Tara, I am mad, mad, mad for you. Oooooo this burns me up. I'm so sorry you're dealing with inconsiderate (insert profanity here) people.

(((hugs)))

MegND95
12-01-2005, 01:13 PM
What kind of horrible person steals a child's trike??? What a terrible way to start the holiday season. I am sorry that you lost so much and now have to be worried in your own home.

Jenn98
12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Are you kidding me? Someone stole your Christmas? Your child's Christmas?! What kind of person does that? That is just horrible. I wish there was something we could do to make you feel better. I know it doesn't really help (financially) to hear "At least you're all okay." I know when I'm down I need to wallow in it a bit before I can be positive. I hope your Christmas spirit comes back soon! Hugs to you Mama and hang in there! We will be thinking of you!

Jenn

pritchettzoo
12-01-2005, 01:19 PM
That is horrible! x(

Our garage door has a lock button on the main panel next to the house door. You push that and the openers don't work. You might be able just to replace that mechanism.

Did you buy things on your credit cards? Some of them have lost/stolen guarantees for a year. It's worth a call.

I hope Santa takes a giant poop in the thief's stocking! Grr!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

starrynight
12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
That is awful :(. I'm so sorry.

mudder17
12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh Tara, that really sucks! I'm so sorry you're going through this. It tells me that we need to be more careful as we are also in an isolated (dead end) street and don't get through traffic. I trust the neighbors that I know and I would love to trust everyone, but your story tells me that maybe it's better to be forearmed. :(

Big, big hugs! I'm so glad you and Jackson are okay!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

KrisM
12-01-2005, 01:27 PM
That is just horrible! I hope you are able to replace at least some of the things.

momathome
12-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Tara - how incredibly awful for you! :( It is unbelievable to me that people are capable of such things. I saw on our local news that a large number of toys that were donated for Toys for Tots were stolen - bah, humbug! Tis the season and I hope those losers get what they have coming to them. x(

Dcclerk
12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Tara, I am so mad for you. How dare they?! Keep your eyes and ears open. It always amazes me how stupid people can be. Someone sideswiped my DH's car and then drove away. Stupid dumbass parked down the street from our house a few days later, proudly bearing the paint from my DH's car on the side of his car (and his car's paint was on my DH's car). We called the police, they came out, and a few months later after the police had a warrant out for his arrest, we had a good-sized check written to fix the damage.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you!

HannaAddict
12-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Tara,

That is just awful. I would call your credit card companies and see if you can get coverage for some of the items. And I would start patrolling www.craigslist.com in your city or area as well as calling local pawn shops or consignment shops (Kettlers are fast moving at our local consignment shop) and checking ebay. Seriously. One of my office assistants had his car broken into and his very nice golf clubs stolen. His car was a beater but he'd scrimped and saved for the expensive clubs and they were in his trunk. He checked ebay withouth luck, but found them on craigslist. The cops even arrested the bad guy. It is a long shot, but it might be worth a shot. And since craigslist is free to list things and Kettlers, etc. are easily sold on it, it is a very popular way to fence things these days.

I am so sorry this happened, but so glad you had your door locked and that your family is safe.

Kimberly

brittone2
12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Oh no!!! That is just absolutely horrible. I have no words.

Thanks for the reminder to disable the garage door opener in some way if possible. We don't have a garage at our current house but in our former home I often forgot to lock my vehicle at night and the garage door opener was in there.

Again, I'm so so sorry. I hope that there is some way that you'll still be able to have a wonderful Christmas despite being hit by these awful creeps.

kristenk
12-01-2005, 02:25 PM
That is soooo horrible. I can't believe someone would do something like that. I'm so glad that you and your family stayed safe.

ribbit1019
12-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Ugh! That is so terrible! I am so sorry this happened to you Tara! I really hope that you can recover from this.
Thank you for the safety tips I will take them to heart.

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

zuzu
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
That's horrible. And so very wrong. :(

Thanks for the reminder to always lock the door from garage to house - I sometimes forget.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

punk mama
12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
NO! This makes me so angry! What is wrong with people?!

Around 9am on the morning after Thanksgiving, DH and I awoke to a loud noise near the front of our house...it appears that someone was trying to break into our backyard (huh?) cuz a post on our gate was split in two. We live in a safe neighborhood on a through street, our car was in the driveway, and it was daylight! I just don't get people.

I hope you recover from your loss and enjoy the holidays anyway. The grinch will get what's coming to him...hopefully sooner rather than later.

-Faith

Rachels
12-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm wondering if we can help you replace at least the gifts for your children. Would you like that kind of help?

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

ctmom
12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
That SUCKS!! like a pp said, keep checking your local craigslist, you never know, your stuff might start showing up for sale...

murpheyblue
12-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I am so sorry that happened. It is truly awful.

Depending on the volume of what you lost v. your dedecutible, you might consider making an insurance claim.

Jenn98
12-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I was thinking the same thiing. My DD is too little to notice any gifts let alone one or two less. I'd love to help. We usually adopt a family this time of year and I'd rather adopt a family I "know" anyway. Please, what can we do?

Jenn

TaChapm
12-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Thank you for offering! Right now I think I will be able to find most of the items again. I am just upset because I bought a lot of Leap Frog toys while they were buy 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us. I am pretty sure I can find those items again but just not at the good deal. We had bought the Leap Frog desk with the my first leap pad and the Learn Around playground and the learning table. I can replace all of those items but just not at the good deal I had received. We also had tons of Thomas the Train and Bob the Builder toys that were taken and some nice wooden toys for Tyler. I just always bargain hunt so it is just going to cost me so much more to replace what is lost. The Kettler was an Air Jumbo that was through Neve's coop so I won't be getting that good of a deal again either. If any of you see any good deals on these items let me know. I am not going to have the money to even start to replace everything but finding a good deal will at least help.

We don't have any credit cards so everything was purchased with cash. Thank you all for the suggestion though. I am looking on craigslist in the 3 towns around here for the items. I think these items were to be resold because why else would they take my stroller. I might call on you all if I need to find something special but as of right now I am pretty sure I will be able to find most of the items again.

Thank you all for your kind words. We are upset but really feeling pretty lucky that it wasn't worse and that we are all safe. I do think I will have the boys in the room with me tonight. :) More for me than them.

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

pb&j
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
That's awful. I'm truly sorry this happened to you. :(

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

kensjen
12-01-2005, 04:34 PM
That is just plain terrible!! I know people steal things all the time, but it really gets to me at the holiday time, especially when it is stuff for CHILDREN! Ugh!

I am so sorry this happened to you. Let us know if you need anything.

Karma will get the thieves.

caheinz
12-01-2005, 04:35 PM
I can't believe that people would do this. Steal items that obviously belong to a CHILD.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll use it as a reminder to DH to keep that garage-to-house door locked (he forgets occassionally), AND to keep the garage door shut (he hasn't left it open for a couple of months, but...)

And I would be up for contributing something to help you replace the toys... "stuff" though it is...

barbarhow
12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Tara-I am so sorry that this happened. We had a similar thing happen a few years ago. Nothing was recovered. It's such a violation.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

deborah_r
12-01-2005, 05:36 PM
How awful! I'm glad you are all OK though. Those are some mean, mean thieves.

KBecks
12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
I am so sorry to hear it, and glad that your family is OK. It can be so scary.

A good friend who lives about a mile from me was AT HOME with her 2 little ones when someone tried to break in to her house. She is very safety conscious and doesn't open the door unless she is expecting someone. The thief came in throug their breezeway and was knocking / pounding on their back door. Then he started to kick in the door to get in. He was just getting the door open and he heard my friend on the phone talking to the police. Then he ran. The police didn't catch him right away, but they think they caught the thief a couple months later, if it was the same person.

So, be very careful! It's so sad, but these things happen. I've been meaning for us to get deadbolts and stronger locks, maybe we should do that now.

lizamann
12-01-2005, 05:55 PM
The b*st*rds!

jamsmu
12-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Oh Tara, i'm so sorry. :( hugs to you!

btw, visa has a similar policy, so if you paid with visa, they may help.

wendmatt
12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Oh Tara, that is sooooo terrible. I'm just sick for you, I'm so sorry to hear that.

dr mom
12-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Grinch is not a strong enough word to describe how angry I am on your behalf, but I'll restrain my tongue since this is a family board.

I do believe in karma, and that evildoers will ultimately reap what they sow. Who would be so selfish as to steal from a child??? x(

Sorry this spoiled your holiday joy - at least there is comfort in that your family is safe and you weren't harmed by the criminals. I know that doesn't begin to make up for what you lost, both in material possessions and in peace of mind, but so long as your family is safe and healthy those other things can be made whole again. *hugs* to all of you.

muskiesusan
12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
How awful! It really is unbelievable that people would do this sort of thing. I can't imagine how invaded you feel.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

daisyandacorn
12-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Shudder...sucks to be that miserable person (or people).
I'm glad that your door was locked and that you're safe.
Susan

kboyle
12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
OMG, that's is truly horrible. I am sooo sorry that has happened to you and your family. We live in a pretty low crime small town and I normally keep my keys in the car, but I will definately grab them and lock up now. We always lock the house, but for some odd reason, the car is never locked. Actually, we never used to lock the house, but after some big electronic purchases DH has insisted that we lock up.

What terrible people out there!!

cleo27
12-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Oh Tara, I am so sorry this happened. I cannot imagine how awful and violated you all must feel.

How horrible that someone would steal a child's toys!

Hugs,

COElizabeth
12-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Tara,

That is just horrible! I am so sorry.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

hellosmiletoday
12-01-2005, 10:03 PM
How aweful. I never even thought about someone breaking into a car and getting the opener. We only have one car so its always parked in the garage, but we do leave the windows in the garage open (for ventilation)...which in retrospect is not a good idea...we also keep the inside door from garage to house unlocked...again BAD idea.

Mommy to baby girl 5/04

cbm
12-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I am very sorry this happen.
I am glad you and your family are safe.
Best wishes,

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

mommy_someday
12-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Wow. Unbelievable. How could someone do that?!? What an awful way to start your holiday season. I'm so sorry. Does homeowners' insurance cover any of this? Best of luck replacing everything. Who knows...maybe you'll find even better gifts than what you started with. (((hugs)))

SweetTooth
12-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Tara,
I'm so sorry. I can't believe some people. I hope you & your family still manage to have a happy, peaceful Christmas.

RwnMayfair
12-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Tara, I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( I hope things get better, or something good happens before the holidays!

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051122/0DU8.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/11Vom5/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051122/bQLg.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

bluej
12-02-2005, 06:57 AM
That is awful! How do these people live with themselves when they steal from children?

I'm glad you and your family are safe. I'm off to remove the garage door opener from my van, I never use it anyway and I certainly don't want someone else using it!

McQ
12-02-2005, 09:26 AM
That is just so low and awful. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I second the thought to look on Craigslist. The ladies on strollerswap busted someone earlier this year who had stollen strollers and tried to unload them there.

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

lmintzer
12-02-2005, 09:53 AM
OMG, Tara! I'm so sorry--how awful. I didn't read all the responses, but will your Homeowner's policy cover most of this?

tippy
12-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I can’t believe that happened to you! I would feel absolutely violated. I remember when I was a kid someone stole mine and my sister’s bicycles from the driveway. My step dad got in his car and drove around the neighborhood. He actually found a car parked in Nathan’s parking lot with our bikes sticking out of the trunk. He put them in his car and drove away. I still can’t help smiling when I think of the thieves returning to their car to realize they had been “robbed�!
I was wondering if you could call your local news station and let them know what happened. Maybe they could even do a story on it. You know, get the word out, and prevent it from happening to other families. Ya never know. Maybe someone will turn the Grinch in!
I have a leapfrog learning table I would be thrilled to be able to send you. DS no longer uses it and it has the "new legs". It's in great shape....let me know.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

darby24
12-03-2005, 01:15 AM
What awful new, I'm so sorry.

What a rotten person, you've really got to be low to steal a kids trike. :(