PDA

View Full Version : OT: Do You Have Dried Rose Petals In Your House?

Wife_and_mommy
12-03-2005, 12:19 AM
If so, what did you do with them?

I have a spaghetti jar full of them. I'm in *serious* nesting mode and am thinking I should just toss them but they have sentimental value. DH gave them to me when we were dating more than 7 years ago. Should I be brutal or is there something useful I can do with them?

I'm going to dig them out of the kitchen trash while I await some opinions. Thanks alot! :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
Our second morsel due late January 2006!

mamamayi
12-03-2005, 02:30 AM
I use them as potpourri (you can always add oil to them) and put them out on a nice dish or small bowl. I also have this wonderful lead crystal box that I display some of them in. I keep that in our bedroom. It is a hexagon shape with a mirror in the bottom, and the entire box is see-through. They look really great in there and I can get to enjoy them.

muskiesusan
12-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Well, don't tell Dh, but I tossed mine when we moved. I had kept every petal from every rose he had ever given me, but I just didn't know what to do with them anymore!

I justify it by telling myself I would be much happier forgetting about the days I was surprised with flowers on a regular basis, lol!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Wife_and_mommy
12-03-2005, 08:27 AM
LOL. That's the policy I took when I threw them in the trash--Don't ask, don't tell. ;)

I dug them out but think they're going to end up in the trash again. I like PP's idea. I'll put the jar in our bedroom for now out of toddler hands' reach. I honestly think at times that the seven years of love and commitment we've shared is more important than rose petals and the love/c. don't take up room in my house! (Well, unless you count the kiddos I'm having to declutter for! ;) )

crayonblue
12-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Don't throw them out!!!! A few years ago, during one of our many moves, I put all my dried rose petals from all the years we dated, in a beautiful glass bowl. The bowl was a wedding present from a Czech friend who bought it in the Czech Republic. I specifically asked DH to be VERY careful and to put the bowl in the front seat of the UHAUL so that nothing would happen to it. I put the bowl in the velvet box it came in. I stayed behind and cleaned the house. Well, the black velvet box blended in with the black UHAUL seats and was never taken out of the front seat. A few weeks after our move, I asked DH where he had put my bowl. He got the most horrified look on his face. We tracked the truck all across the country but the bowl had never been turned in. We checked pawn shops in our area. Nothing.

I wish I had those dried rose petals! Even more than the bowl. I am NOT sentimental and throw lots of things out but those flowers were important to me!

tarabenet
12-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Or you could mix in a little extra rose fragrance (get a good one), and put them in a little pillow(s) to use as sachet-like things or closet fragrancers. Easily put out of DC's reach, but still around for sentimental reaons.

CiderLogan
12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
I think they would be pretty just sitting in a glass bowl. Also, I've used petals to decorate for events (showers, etc.) so you could save them to put on the table or something if you plan a romantic or other special dinner with your DH!

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another one due 5/29/06!

Wife_and_mommy
12-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Awww. That's awful! I'm sorry that happened.

I think I'm going to keep them but find something else to put them in. Now that probably won't happen until our 10-year anniversary......

Thank you for the other responses as well. All I needed was a little encouragement not to be so brutal. :)