PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of Narnia books?

bostonsmama
12-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Okay, I've decided to get my nieces and nephews the book "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" for Christmas and a movie ticket each to go see the film when it comes to theaters. I found a nice paperback version at B&N w/ color illustrations on a few pages. Anyways, while reading up on the book, I saw that there's another book prior to this one in the series that "they say" should be read first. Anyways, there's 2 sets of 2 children, so I was thinking one book per family (we're really tight on money) and a movie ticket each, and I was going to get them both TLTWATW, but now I'm thinking I should give one family the first book and the other family the second book and maybe they could trade when they're done reading? They live about 10 minutes from each other's house and see each other often. So, WWYD, get them both the same book (TLTWATW) to coincide with the movie release (that is the point, afterall) or separate books and have them swap if they'd like?

TIA.
Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

s7714
12-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I say just get 2 copies of TLTWATW. The Magician's Nephew really just covers how the connection to Naria from "here" was made and how the cabinet came into existance. IMO while it does support TLTWATW, it really isn't vital that a person read it prior to reading the subsequent books. In fact, most people I know never even knew The Magician's Nephew existed until after they had read all the other books. They can always check out the other books from the library if they really like TLTWATW.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

kijip
12-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Do they like TLTWATW? It is kind of an aqquired taste or love/hate thing IME. I hated those books as a child even though I loved all of the similar literature. I just know a lot of kids LOVE or HATE it...maybe the movie will get them all interested!

But, having read them anyway I agree with the pp...just get them each a copy of TLTWATW. Frankly, it was the 1 I liked the most.

lmariana
12-03-2005, 05:09 AM
I think that's a great gift idea!

In my opinion, I'd just go for two copies of TLTWATW. That is actually the first book that CS Lewis wrote in the series, and he intended it to be read first. The Magician's Nephew is actually book 6, but the story line occurs first, chronologically. It's kind of like a prequel. The Magician's Nephew is an awesome book, definitely worth a read!

Mariana
Mom to Gabe (8/03) and Atom (10/05)
www.heinzandmariana.com
http://www.geocities.com/kellysb/images/medals/purpleheart.jpg http://www.geocities.com/kellysb/images/medals/awardbar2-6wks.jpg

AngelaS
12-03-2005, 05:54 AM
I think it's a wonderful gift idea and I'd skip The Magician's Nephew as well. :D Star Wars has taught us we don't HAVE to read/see things in order to get the point of the story. LOL :D

Bethann31
12-03-2005, 09:59 AM
I don't want to put a wrench in things, but you might want to check with their parents. My son is going on Dec 12 to see it at school and they have been reading the book in school for awhile now. If your nieces and nephews have already read the book this year/seen the movie already, it may backfire on you, and you've put too much work into this for that to happen on Christmas.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

crayonblue
12-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Definitely Lion Witch and Wardrobe first. But, I agree with the PP- check to make sure the kids haven't read this already. Maybe you already know they haven't. My 3 brothers and I all read the setas kids and loved every book.

As far as where to get this- if you want to order online, CBD has good prices.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=lion+witch+wardrobe&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=15&Go.y=1

I also buy a lot of books at Family Christian store and they often send out coupons if you get on their mailing list.

I like supporting Christian stores so I usually buy from CBD or Family Christian unless it's a book not available through them. But, I always wait until I get a coupon from Family Christian.

bostonsmama
12-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I wish I were the creative one. It was at Tara's (LBW) suggestion. She really is ingenious.

I'll look to the other books as future books (and for sure if TLTWATW is a hit, they'll be future movies made of the subsequent novels). I can't contain my excitement, too, b/c one of my BILs is very religious and I know he's mentioned this book & CS Lewis a couple years ago in passsing...so score another one there!)

Anyways, thanks all. Hopefully getting the book with the full page color panels (illustrations) will make a nice collector's edition even if they've already read it in school.

Larissa

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

aliceinwonderland
12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Yea, I'd make sure they'd like the books first, it's *definately* an acquired taste.

I have read every published word C.S. Lewis has written(I know, shocking!)and love most of it except for his attemt at science fiction which I do not like anyway. AND I had a really hard time with the Narnia series. And I so wanted to love it, I hope Erik loves it!
Though I read it as an adult, maybe that was the problem. And though I hate Disney, the new movie looks a hell of a lot better than the BBC one from way back, so maybe tickets are the way to go?

crayonblue
12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
"I have read every published word C.S. Lewis has written(I know, shocking!)and love most of it except for his attemt at science fiction which I do not like anyway."

I am impressed! I took a C.S. Lewis class in college- my very favorite class ever. We read many of his books and then I read a lot on my own. My favorites are Mere Christianity and Till We Have Faces. I liked The Great Divorce too. Actually, I liked everything I have read. I do agree with you on the science fiction- not my cup of tea.

And, yes, the Disney movie better be tons better than the BBC version or the old cartoon!

aliceinwonderland
12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I went through what I call my "C.S. Lewis phase". I just got DH to read the "Great Divorce" recently as he has "issues" with the beyond or lack thereof ;) (still does). I also like "The problem of pain" (though I try hard ot accept the premise and am unable to do so in the end) and the very first one I read "The Screwtape letters" :)

Thatchermom
12-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Sorry for the hijack, but where did you go to school? I took a Lewis class in college but I didn't think very many schools offered one.

DDowning
12-04-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm in the middle of a bit of a holiday trip right now and grabbed this book in the airport travel shop. I might be an oddball but I thought the Magicians Nephew placed first was very appropriate. It gives you a segway as to the background as to how Narnia was created. It also gave you a great more insight in to how cruel and hard Queen (Witch) Jadis was in the beginning. You can't help but think its loosely constructed much like the Bible is regarding creation, death, sacrifice, good foresaken by evil, etc. There's even the instance of the forbidden apple like the story of
Adam and Eve. One of the magic apples taken by permission is then planted into the real world. The tree grows and grows until one day it topples over. From this wood is how the wardrobe came about and thus why it is magical - it never forgot its connection to Narnia.

Anyway, if you could swing it, I would try and get them a book that covers all of the chronicals.

crayonblue
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
DH and I went to LeTourneau University, a small private, Christian school in Texas. We took the Lewis class together. I think the same professor is now teaching a Tolkien class. Where did you go to school?

crayonblue
12-05-2005, 09:40 AM
The first one I read was The Screwtape Letters also. I think that is a good Lewis book to start with. Really gives you insight in to how his mind works!

Thatchermom
12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
DH and I went to Multnomah Bible College in Portland, OR. DH definitely didn't take the class with me - he has very little appreciation for Lewis, but I married him anyway. Just this week he has started reading Wardrobe for the very first time. He is not thrilled with it, but he is reading it aloud to DS, who can't get enough of it. Wonder if your prof and mine know each other?

crayonblue
12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
COOL! I looked at Multnomah along with Moody and Wheaton! But, I am from Texas and my mom REALLY wanted me to go to a near-by school. And, this is a really bad reason to pick a school, but there was a really gorgeous guy I knew who worked at LeTourneau! :)

Interestingly, DH who is not a huge reader, LOVES Lewis. In fact, he went through a few years of asking for Lewis books every Christmas and birthday.

Oh, and I bet your prof and mine know each other! Dr. Batts is quite infamous around the Christian college circuit. DH and I were up in Manitoba, Canada for Christmas one year and ran into a professor who knew him!

marie2
12-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I have loved the Chronicles of Narnia ever since I read them as a child. Way back then they were published in the order Lewis wrote them, but now they are published chronologically. But once I read the first one, I HAD to read them all (and I still love to get hooked on a good series!). All that to say, the Costco here in Atlanta has a paperback of all seven books in one volume for $11.99.

bostonsmama
12-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, I appreciate your advice on this note because it's really what convinced me to get the 2-book boxed collector's set of _The Magician's Nephew_ and _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_. I had 2 sets of books shipped to my SIL's house for roughly $35.

http://tinyurl.com/7gzhr

They look like they're gonna be great...and they can choose to read them in whatever order they want.

I did break down and call my SIL and she was absolutely thrilled that we were sending the books (neither relatives own the books). She was also planning on taking her kids to see the movie anyways, so I told her she could either take them to see TLTWATW now and say it was from us or use the tickets after Christmas morning for whatever movie they want to see! Yeah...one less thing to think about.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Larissa

James Baldwin

bostonsmama
12-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I did actually buy that version of The Chronicles of Narnia from Costco here, but when I wrapped and went to ship them, it was going to be over $15.00!! So, it was back to the drawing board for me...and amazon came through with free shipping, so I rationalized spending more on the books since it would be the more money to buy and ship the less kid-friendly books (really, i was unimpressed that there were so few pictures and couldn't afford the really nice hardback version w/ color illustrations and a map on the front-also $30 at Costco). Anyways...just wanted to explain. If it were my kids and there weren't 2 to buy and ship, I'd get the $30 version from Costco.

Larissa

James Baldwin