PDA

View Full Version : bronx zoo in december?

jennifer860
12-03-2005, 09:39 AM
DS (26mo) and I are going to visit a friend of mine in lower Manhattan. We have one day to sightsee (but we live in Connecticut so it's not like we'll never be back). I'm not sure I want to lug him through the crowds in Rockefeller Center - has anyone been to the zoo in the winter? Any other favorite spots?
TIA!

dowlinal
12-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Depending on when in December you go at night the Bronx Zoo is decorated and lit up for the holidays. I believe its Fri-Sun starting at 5 pm until Dec 18th and then it's every day starting at 5 pm.

I have never been to the Botanical Gardens but we are going to try and get there this year. They have a holiday train display that is supposed to be really beautiful and this year they've added an whole gingerbread display that I believe includes a gingerbread house that kids can go inside. Here's the link http://www.nybg.org/train_show05.php

ellies mom
12-03-2005, 01:52 PM
I can't speak for the Bronx Zoo directly but I actually prefer going to the zoo in the winter. It is less crowded and the animals seem to be more active than in the heat of the summer.

jennifer860
12-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Thank you, the Gardens sound perfect! DS loves trains, and it will make for some great pictures. :-)

JustMe
12-03-2005, 03:54 PM
I am originally from NY (the Bronx to be exact!) and still visit my sister there every year. The Bronx zoo is awesome! Depending on the weather, though, if you don;t want to be outside for a really long time, the Central Park Zoo is also nice. There are a lot of animals, but it is nowhere as big as the Bronx zoo, so it makes for a shorter visit.

I also want to mention that the Children's Museum of Manhattan is also great if you want an indoor activity. When I was there in Aug they had Dora and Dr Seuss exhibits among others!

Enjoy!

Robyn