PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get overwhelmed going into Toys R Us?

hez
12-03-2005, 12:28 PM
I usually stay away from Toys R Us just because Payton's overloaded on toys already and I can get decent gifts at Target, which is closer to my house. So, usually no need to go there. I had to go this morning though, because Payton's gift exchange buddy wanted something specific that our Target was sold out of.

WOW. Intellectually I knew there were a lot of toys and lots of kinds of toys in the world, but it's been so long since I've been to a Toys R Us that I was completely overwhelmed. Thank heavens I had a specific toy to buy and could get in and get out. WOW.

Think I'll plan ahead next time and just order on-line ;)

jesseandgrace
12-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I find it really hard to shop there, I now try to buy things online or from small toy stores!

muskiesusan
12-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes! I hate that store and always leave with a headache as there is so much noise.

I went in a month ago to return a birthday gift that Nick had received from there. I didn't know they had changed their policy and required a receipt, which I was a bit put off by, but whatever. The clerk told me that she couldn't help me with the return, but instead I could donate the item to their Toys for Tots drive. I have to say I was really taken aback with how she told me this and makes me hate the store even more!!!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

brittone2
12-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Honestly, I feel like that in lots of big stores. I get a headache, go into brain fog mode and totally forget what I'm looking for, and I get overwhelmed at the sheer volume of *stuff* and people. I feel like that in Costco, the rare trip to Walmart, or the rare trip to TRU. I love shopping online ;)

I swear they pump some sort of disorientation drug into the air in those stores so you go into some kind of trance and never leave LOL ;)

DebbieJ
12-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I hate TRU. The store is poorly organized and is always dirty. Gives me the creeps.

I'm so glad we have a Learning Express nearby!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kimbe
12-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Poorly organized is an understatment. You can get seriously lost in there! It is like a labyrinth! I never go alone! :)

hez
12-03-2005, 04:53 PM
> I never go alone!

I think that was my mistake this morning!

daisyandacorn
12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
It's just way too much of everything!!!!
We do go there for Playdough, other than that - no way!

ETA-Went looking for play food last year and all they had was fake McDonalds-thanks but no thanks!

KBecks
12-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Yes! I'm trying to avoid TRU and Chucky Cheese for as long as humanly possible.

(I go to TRU, but want to hold it to only 1-2x per year.)

m448
12-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Ha! How true, I always feel compelled to go down every aisle. Really, since I've revamped the kiddo's toy stash I rarely make it to Toys R Us. I will peek in now and then if I'm looking for a specific toy (like our quest for the perfect pop up play structure) but really have struck out each time. I'm finding it easier and much more pleasant to shop online and make sure I get a great deal on exactly what I need.

I remember Toys R Us being overwhelming even as a child and now as an adult/parent it's just a headache and a half.

I call Target the black hole. I can't make it out of there with a purchase under $20 so I realllllly limit my window shopping at Target.

lisams
12-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I really don't like going to TRU - forget trying to manuveur a shopping cart, the prices aren't that great, people shopping there seem to always be so grumpy, and my biggest peeve is that about 3 employees were hanging around asking if I needed help while shopping but when I went to check out only one register was open with maybe 10 people in line. I felt like going back to the "helper" employees and telling them they could help me out by opening another register!

I did get a laugh when after waiting in line for 30 minutes, about 10 feet from the register was an employee checking reciepts to make sure they matched what you had in your bag. Really? With just one register open, he should have just stood right next to the cashier and watched the people leave to make sure they didn't pick up anything between the register and the door. They aren't using their employees effectively.

I love on-line shopping - you can stay in your jammies, read reviews/compare prices, check out in minutes and not have to deal with grumpy people :-)

tina-t
12-04-2005, 09:01 PM
I hate going in to Toys R Us. I also get overwhelmed. All those toys give me a headache. I prefer to do my shopping online now or just get to Target.