PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Moving Around Mama?

tamandrob
12-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Our first child is due mid-february. Over the next three years we will be moving every six months for my husband's work. For all except the first move (August), we will be living in furnished apartments, so moving only clothing and other living accessories. I am thinking about how to set up the most stable environment for our DC during this time. Does anyone have good advice on this? For example, I am stumped on what to do about a crib. A full crib seems like too much of a PITA to move around with us, a PNP seems to flimsy, and I think the DC will outgrow a portable crib before all the moving around is done.
Any ideas on any of this would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Tam

mamamayi
12-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't know how much help this will be, but here goes. You may just want to bite the bullet on the full crib. I say that because it is safe and durable, and probably better for day to day use. Yes, it will be a PITA to move, but that will hopefully only happen a couple of times while you are in the moving mode. I am thinking that the everyday safety and convenience will outweigh the other. Maybe someone else on here knows of a really good portable crib or something similar...

Probably the best thing you can do for your DC is to have several comfort items that will always stay with him/her. A certain blanket or toy. Even better, maybe a certain music CD that you play. That way DC has visual and auditory comfort items that stay the same no matter where you do. And of course DC has you! The most important thing!

May

Melanie
12-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Dd loves her Amby Hammock to sleep in. If she wakes in the night I just bring her into our bed to nurse and sleep.

tiapam
12-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I would probably want a full crib, but you might be just fine with a PNP till your August move. And if the PNP is working out, you can keep using that, if you want. If you don't like the idea of putting your newborn in a PNP (or even a PNP bassinet) you might consider getting (or borrowing) a nice bassinet which you can usually use for about three months.

Instead of a high chair, consider the Fisher-Price Healthy Care Booster seat:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2001&e=detail&site=us&pid=27475&selcat=bgboost

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

aliceinwonderland
12-04-2005, 05:25 PM
have not had your exact experience, but this summer I lived in a different city for 3 months, while our son split his time between me and his father. We're doing it again this coming summer.

We tried to keep a routine for him in place that was the same everywhere. He has his own room in our house and we gave him his own room in my apartment, but we found it was just easier to have him sleep with us, as he (understandibly) developed some separation anxiety. We had the Pack n Play, but rarely used it.

I guess my main advice would be to be flexible in what you expect from the kiddo...My son was sleeping very well before our summer, and then his sleep got worse. He also "regressed" a bit in that he now needs to sleep with one of us for half the night. Rather than fighting this, we go with the flow. As long as baby has you and her/his dad there, she/he will be ok because you are her main points of reference. They are far more flexible than we adults are. :)

I hope someone chimes in with house-proofing advice: we do not houseproof, so I have no clue there.