PDA

View Full Version : Cake help, miscalcuated amount of flour

niccig
12-04-2005, 04:08 AM
I baked a cake for a Christmas brunch tomorrow morning. It's a yoghurt pistachio cake from an Australian cookbook. I totally miscalculated the amount of flour when I converted it from the metric measurement to US cups. I think I only put in 1/2 the amount. The cake looks OK, it rose until it nearly overflowed the bundt tin. I tested a little bit from underneath (I hope no one notices), and it's moist, but it's supposed to be that way. I don't have time to make another one, as it took 2 Tivoed desperate house wives episodes to shell enough nuts. Should I go ahead and serve the cake, or stop on the way and buy donuts???

On my way home from the brunch, I am buying an electronic kitchen scale. I will never have to convert grams to US cups again! As it is Mum had to send me Australian measuring cups and spoons as they are different to the American ones. Why or why can't we have standardised measurements!

Nicci

DebbieJ
12-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I have no idea if your cake is okay. I hope it turns out--let us know!

But I wanted to mention that they sell the pistachio meats at Trader Joe's, already shelled for you. I'm thinking they're salted, though, so maybe it won't work.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

niccig
12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Debbie,
DS and DH got sick today so I just dropped the cake off at the brunch, grabbed a bagel and left. I was looking forward to having some. I called my sister in London this morning and she said it would be fine, just a little moist. I'll find out tomorrow at the mother's group. I forgot about TJ's. Next time I make it, I'll get the nuts from there.

Nicci