PDA

View Full Version : OT: Christmas Tree care

jgriffin
12-04-2005, 11:47 AM
We bought our first Christmas tree yesterday, a huge 8-footer! It is set up in the living room, waiting for us to decorate it. I'd like it to last until New Years (i.e. I want it to look *good* on New Year's Day, since we're having a party that afternoon). Any suggestions on how I can do this?

TIA!

Jen

HGraceMom
12-04-2005, 11:56 AM
We only had a real tree one year - and didn't get a "fresh cut" on the bottom of the tree before taking it home - the tree was very very brittle a couple of days after Christmas. If you didn't get a fresh slice off the trunk, I'd recommend doing that before you decorate.

There are lots of recipes for keeping your tree healthy-looking longer, one I remember includes a can of sprite with the water...

lilycat88
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Fresh cut to the bottom before you put it up. We generally only do about an inch or so. Then, boil your water before you put it in, especially the first time. It helps melt the sap and allow water to be absorbed better. I generally don't do hot water after the first time but I know some who do hot water every time. Keep water in the stand.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

kfcboston
12-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Best tip I ever got, from the daughter of a Christmas tree farmer - add sugar to the water every time you water it, esp. the first time you put it in the stand with water. Ours stay looking great for weeks, and loose almost no needles on the eventual trip out of the house.

Pennylane
12-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I went to Home Depot yesterday and a guy there swears that if you put Sprite and only Sprite in the holder it will last a long time! I didn't really want to spend all that money on Sprite though :)

They sell a powdered product that you add in everytime you add water to your tree which is supposed to extend the life of your tree by 50%.
I ended up just getting that.

Ann