PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting

megs4413
12-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I am a first time mom and my DD is almost 8 mos. She has never vomited before (it seems hard to believe we made it this long, but we did) and she's been vomiting all day. I took her to the doctor and they reassured me that it would run its course, but I guess i'm looking for any tips i can get to help me deal with it and keep her comfortable and hydrated. Does anyone have any good ideas about what to use to catch it? We've been using cloth diapers, but have quickly gone through all the ones we have. Anyone know what the protocol is as far as offering the pedialyte? We followed the doc's instructions but she ended up throwing it all up and I dont' know when to try it again. TIA.

o_mom
12-04-2005, 01:54 PM
First off, switch to disposibles until it runs it's course - you will go crazy with cloth in this situation. (BTDT) If she is nursing, let her nurse as often as possible BM is considered a clear liquid like Pedialyte.

Here is the info from our Dr. on vomiting: wait an hour after vomiting then give 1/2 oz pedialyte every 15 min. Every other time double the amount. If vomiting reoccurs wait an hour and then go back to the last tolerated amount. Once you get to around 3 oz, let them drink at will. After vomiting has stopped for 6-8 hours resume normal feedings.

BTW, the Pedialyte unflavored seemed to go over better than the flavors.

lilycat88
12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
If your DD isn't able to keep Pedialyte down at all, I'd call your doctor to ask for advice. We went through a stomach bug at about that age and we ended up being about an hour away from having to take her to the hospital. Her ped gave us the directive to keep trying an oz. of Pedialyte every 15-30 minutes until she either kept it down or we hit a certain number of hours without keeping anything down. Once we hit that hour limit we were going to have to head to the ER. Luckily, she started keeping a bit down. I can't remember the right/wrong about using water instead of Pedialyte but we did offer water and that was a better option for us. DD would hardly tolerate Pedialyte.

As far as the mess, we just pretty much spread sheets, blankets, etc. over the carpet wherever she was. We found that it was easier to do laundry than to try to clean Pedialyte or anything off the carpet constantly.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004