PDA

View Full Version : How can I plug in my laptop in Europe???

aliceinwonderland
12-05-2005, 12:41 PM
and not have it die?? Do I just need an adapter for the plug, or a whole power converter thingie. I'd rather not take chances, $$ laptop (well, for me anyway).

We're using it as a DVD player on the plane(for DS, he only watches Signing Times and nothing else) and then I'll supposedly write a paper over winter break ;) It only has 4 hrs battery life...

Thanks in advance!

bostonsmama
12-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I just looked at my laptop's battery and it says it will accept both 110v or 220-240v, so all I would need is a little adapter. Some cell phones chargers also work in this manner. So,in short, maybe...check out this interesting travel article
I'll post more when I have more info:
http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/electronics.htm

Otherwise (if it doesn't say it on the battery pack part that gets plugged into the wall:
Some airplanes have 110 outlets in the bathrooms (or first class section) for small appliances like shavers...but I've never tried it to recharge a power-thirsty laptop.

The 220v outlets will absolutely damage any appliance that cannot accept 220v since the surge needs to be knocked down through a converter to 110v. Those little plug converters are great for hairdryers (& other dual power mini electrics) that do both 220 AND 110 through the twist of a screw on the handle.

BTW, converters (as I lived in Europe and had a few for our American appliances like the microwave, toaster and stereo equipment) are like 50 lbs and very heavy and fussy (and expensive...like $200-300).

If there's a travel store at your local mall, you might ask if they have (or if anything exists) that can help you with this problem. It is very rare (if not unheard of) to find 110v outlets in any part of Europe.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

aliceinwonderland
12-05-2005, 01:44 PM
oh, ok, thanks. Will turn laptop over when I'm done using it :)

bostonsmama
12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
it should actually be on your power cord. There will be a big black box attached to a wire that plugs into the wall on one end and a piece that plugs into your a/c adapter outlet of your laptop on the other. It is that black box that will tell you whether your battery will accept the 220 current. Or, if you have a battery charger, that charger will have to say it accepts the 220v current (usually it will say "Input: 100v-240v"). Anyways, take a look at the pictures in that link I posted. But I guess not all laptops have this feature. Mine is a Toshiba.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

aliceinwonderland
12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Duh! You're right. It says exactly that, 100v-240v on the fat part of the power cord...This is an IBM. Thanks again :)