PDA

View Full Version : What was your DC favorite/most usefull 2nd birthday present?

kozachka
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
A lot of DS friends are turning two and I am running out of ideas what to give without repeating myself. So far I've gifted an Alex's easel, Hanna Andersson fleece jacket, Mega Blocks. There is a particular boy, that DS used to be very close to, who is turning two soon that I'd like to get something special for, preferably for under $50 including shipping. He likes cars but I don't think he needs any more. I could just give him a gift certificate but it does not feel special enough to me.

kellyotn
12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
My DD loves the My First LeapPad. She got it when she was 26 months. It says its for 3 years and up, but she would sit for long stretches of time and just tap the pen around. She learned to always hit the "Go" button (to sync the page and the pen) right away. Now that she's three she can really play the games, etc. But, even before they get to that stage they can have fun pointing at various things on the pages.

I was surprised at how much she fell for this toy. She's big into all types of books though, I think she just sees it as her "talking" book. Of all the toys she got last Christmas, this is the one she's played with the most - far and away.

jbowman
12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
We're in the same boat! DD turns two in a few days and it seems that ALL of her friends are November/December '03 babies! I've been giving Aquadoodles or Magnadoodles as gifts (I really don't mind repeating myself!). The kids seem to love them--but more importantly, they are great gifts for the parents b/c they'll occupy their kids for awhile! ;)

redhookmom
12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
We have been giving the game Zingo to many frinds lately. It has been a big hit.
There is a race track that my son use to play with at his Grandmother's. I think the brand is Fisher Price, I have seen it at Toys R Us. The cars are inserted and then ratchet them, you then place them on the track and they go round and round and eventually crash. It's lots of fun, not frustrating at all and sturdy.

kozachka
12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Both of these are excellent options and I would keep them in mind for DS' other friends but I was hoping for something more special for this particular boy. Our Costco had a great deal for Aquadoodle, wish I picked it up. Now that I am out of the country I am limited to online offerings.

kozachka
12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds like fun. Would you happen to have a link for it? I tried googlilng it and keep getting a bingo type game such as this one on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/9nspw. Don't think it's the same thing.

justlearning
12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I think it's hard to know what to get him without knowing what he already has or doesn't have. What my son has really enjoyed since he was 2--and especially more recently since he's been exposed to Thomas books and videos--is his Thomas train set. I just made a purchase from trainsgalore.com, after doing a search on here and reading positive reviews. They have some nice sets that would fit within your price range, and some are more unique than others so they should work even if he has the basic sets. There are also a ton of different trains and pieces you could buy to go along with his Thomas set, if he already has one. Of course, it wouldn't be such a great gift if he has all the Thomas he needs or if he's currently collecting a different line of trains.

Other possibilities could be something related to physical activity, like a grow-to-pro basketball goal or a trampoline (my son's getting one this Christmas--it was from toysrus.com and it came to $50 after shipping). Again, you would have to know what he already has to know if these would be good gifts and to also know if they have the space to accommodate a larger item like this.

Good luck! It sounds like you're a great, thoughtful friend.

kellyotn
12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
I've given these a couple times. My DD loves her name puzzle and can spell her name b/c of it!

www.constplay.com is the main site.

http://tinyurl.com/d39df
Name Train (I think they are Brio-compatible)

http://tinyurl.com/a3qmo
Name Puzzle

kozachka
12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Thank you for your ideas. Fortunately, I know the kid and his mom pretty well and have been to their house a week ago. His mom just got him a generic wooden train set from Target, which he likes but does not love. They could use a train table (the track is set up on a piece of cardboard from Home Depot for now), wish it were in my gift budget. I know for a fact that this boy does not own anything Thomas, he did like DS' engine when they played together in the park but I am not sure if his mom would approve of it. I gave another friend's son a Thomas set this summer and she was not too crazy about the whole Thomas thing. I might get him something train related from Target, one of his mom's favorite stores. At least she'd be able to exchange it.

They live in a two-bedroom apartment so a trampoline is out of the question unfortunately. His dad plays basketball so the boy might be attracted to a basketball stand but I am not sure whether it's something that can be used in an apartment.

Please keep the ideas coming.

kozachka
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you for suggesting these, they are great. I particularly like the name train, but 3-4 weeks for delivery are more than I had in mind. Bookmarked it for future though.

Oregonmother
12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
We are temporarily in an apartment and DS loves his basketball hoop. We have the one from little tikes. He uses it several times a day. He also loves his little tikes golf set. Another sugesstion would be a FP learn through music. We got DS one for his birthday and two of his playgroup friends also, and they all really enjoys it. Another thing he really likes is his Melissa and Doug wood veg/friut that you can cut. It is velcroed together. He also really likes his M&D puzzle that has fish in it with a magnetic fishing pole and you "catch" the fish in the puzzle. What about the little people ramps around garage. We don't have it yet, but it is always a hit at DS friends houses who have it.

ctmom
12-06-2005, 08:06 AM
what about puzzles, something like this would work well since it comes with its own storage...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007Q1JR0/qid=1133874222/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-4820241-7772653?v=glance&s=toys

HTH!

Ari
12-29-2005, 06:46 AM
we have an activity cube by parents and my dd loves it. it keeps them busy for a long time.

bnme
12-29-2005, 07:54 AM
What about the Mega Bloks Tiny n Tuff Fast Tracks? It comes with ramp/tracks to build a downhill road. My boys, 17 months and 3 LOVE this toy and play with it daily for hours. We have had it since DS#1 was 2. Target has it for $30 and you can get additional cars and also a Tiny n Tuff garage/car wash as an add-on.

Or how about a play food set? There is one I like that comes with a table top stove and I think there is also one with a grill. I am not sure who makes it but I know I've seen it at Kid Surplus.

I'll mention another great gift idea, but it is more than your budget - we got our boys the new Step2 Canyon Road Train and Track table. It is great because they can't take apart the track, it has a hard cover that can be used as a play surface for blocks or other train sets, and you can use it with Matchbox-type cars and Thomas wood and Take-Along trains.

Oh, the Geo Traxx train by FP is another idea....

Jen841
12-29-2005, 08:20 AM
fyi if you are feeling crafty, you can make a name train. They sell the parts/letters at Michaels and/or A C Moore for $1 each. It is one of my standard gifts along with burp clothes.

Jen841
12-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Jude is 2, here are some favorites from his birthday to Christmas...
Big Wheel
Geo Trak
Basketball Hoop
CD Player (cheap one) and CD's (Dan Zanes and ALL Ralph's Worlds)
Alex Carry Along Play Mat- this with a set of Viking Cars would be great for a car lover!
M&D Cut up fruits and veggies
Binoculars (I told my Aunt and Uncle they are fine and dandy until he starts looking in the neighbor's windows)
Puzzles (the fav right now is a M&D Firetruck Floor Puzzle)
Tents- I have bought Firetruck and Bus ones at Ross for <$20 that were huge hits!
Books- anything Curious George, Katz,... basically any book he loves
Workbench- Craftsman workbench and a new Home Depot toolbox

Oh, and a Matchbox Car case. Who would have imagined the fun this would provide

The Alex playmat we just bought at Learning Express for $15. It will be great for going places!

newnana
12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm a bit weird with this one, but my gift is always a savings bond. While the interest rates aren't terrific, it's a long term gift. Any toy I give will be forgotten in a matter of months or years, but the savings bond will continue to grow and can be used towards a college education or something else. As a kid, that gift is no fun. As a parent, it's one less item of clutter to manage and a gift that keeps on giving. Just a thought,
Michelle