PDA

View Full Version : Numbing before shots

scout123
12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
A friend of mine works at the health department and she was talling me about some moms who put a numbing cream on their DC's arm before shots. She said these children rarely cry and aren't afraid to come back for shots later on. Has anyone done this? If so, what type of numbing cream did you use?
Thanks,
Angie

JustinsMommy
12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I have not used it, but it is called EMLA. Their web site is: www.emla-us.com

deenass
12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
EMLA was used on my son before his circumcision. It was also offered to me in the hospital before they inserted my IV (I declined, didn't want to wait the 45 mins for the pain meds). I beleive it is only available by prescription.

redhookmom
12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I have not used the numbing cream but your post brought something else to mind. I always ask the nurse to wait thill the antisptic (is that what it is?) dries before they insert the needle. A nurse told me a long time ago that the antisptic hurts more then the needle. I have know idea if this is really true.

Sillygirl
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM
I think the more common use is before blood draws. Those needles are bigger and they need to stay in the skin longer while the blood is withdrawn. Vaccination needles are pretty thin and are in-and-out. But when I worked in a clinic for kids with AIDS, who get blood drawn a lot, they all came in for their visits covered with blobs of EMLA under Saran Wrap (since it needs to be applied thirty minutes before the draw.)

dr mom
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
LET cream is similar to EMLA (lidocaine, epinephrine and tetracaine, vs. lidocaine and prilocaine in EMLA) and works in 15-20 minutes vs 30-60 minutes for EMLA. That's what we use in our office, but only for blood draws or IV insertion, not for vaccinations. Shots are usually over pretty quickly, in my opinion not worth the hassle of numbing the skin - although I do give DS tylenol beforehand, and nurse when shots are given.

You need a prescription to get either product.

I agree with the PP who said to let the skin dry before giving shots, in my experience it's the rubbing alcohol used to clean the skin that stings like heck if not completely dry before the needle enters the skin. Also, if the skin is loosely pinched at the injection site, seems to hurt less to give a shot. Ice numbs the skin too, but is a PITA to keep on long enough to take effect.

Rachels
12-05-2005, 10:09 PM
I've used EMLA for blood draws with Abigail since her veins roll and it often takes a few tries. It seems to help marginally. I wouldn't think it would make that huge a difference for shots. It numbs only the surface of the skin. Most of what hurts about a shot is the stuff going into the muscle, not so much the stick.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya