PDA

View Full Version : Will I need help after two weeks post c-section?

justlearning
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I'll be having a scheduled c-section (baby's breech) in less than two weeks and just did a lot of searching and reading on this board about recovery from c-sections. I was surprised to find out that the recovery can be so difficult and lengthy. (I had no pain and was running up and down stairs, taking stroller walks, and driving within two days of my vaginal delivery with DS.)

My mom's going to be here for two weeks after the date of my c-section, but then I'll be all on my own with the baby and a toddler. Do you think I need to hire someone to help me after my mom leaves, or should I be OK on my own?

After reading the threads, my main concerns are:
(1) Lifting my baby to take care of him or to do things like leaning over with him to put him in the swing or bouncy seat. An additional complication is that the ultrasounds are showing that this baby could very well be close to 11 pounds at birth, just like DS was. From what I read, it sounds like I shouldn't be lifting much more than 8 lbs. or so after a c-section.

(2) Going up and down the stairs in order to use the kitchen to feed DS. All of our bedrooms and full bathrooms are up a flight of 16 steps from the kitchen, so it seems difficult to completely avoid the stairs (unless we put a mini frig. upstairs and eat there).

(3) Getting in and out of bed to rest (or to breastfeed if I choose to do so lying down) without any assistance. I read many moms' posts that said they had to have help.

(4) Fortunately, I won't have to lift my toddler for anything--he can climb into his bed and booster seat on his own--but I will have to bend over to change his diaper on the bed or floor. Will that hurt the incision?

I should also add that my husband is very helpful but doesn't usually get home until 6:30 in the evenings. Occasionally, he won't be home until 9:30pm, so those will be long days on my own.

If you do suggest that I hire someone, can you recommend the best way for finding a good person to help? How many hours a day do you think I should hire her, and around what should I expect to pay? I've never hired anyone to help me do anything before, so I'm inexperienced at this.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions--I'm just getting nervous about the c-section and wanting to make sure that I plan for the recovery period now because it'll be hard to make calls to hire someone later around the holidays.

So...any input or advice you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! :)

cbm
12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
No experience with c-section, but I wanted to send you my best wishes.
I imagine that a lot of the recovery will depend on the person and how stressful (physically and emotionally speaking) the experience was. Having said that, in your shoes, I would probably try to line up someone to take over after the two weeks just in case. Do you have a baby sitter? One that is available at times during the day? If so, you may want to talk to her/him and see if this person would be available to come and help after your mother is gone.
Best wishes.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

justlearning
12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much for your best wishes. Unfortunately, no, we have never used a babysitter--we just swap babysitting with some friends on the rare occasion that we go out. That mom, though, already has a toddler and is having another baby just weeks after mine so she won't be able to help me, and my other friends work. I guess I need to find a babysitter but don't know where to start looking for one, especially one who's not in school.

kdeunc
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Just wanted to offer you a positive thought. I had both kids by c-section and had relatively easy recovery periods. I was home in less than 48 hours, up and down stairs (slowly at first) the first day and basically moving around fine pretty quickly. Both of my boys are December babies too so I had to be fairly mobile to deal with Christmas!! The help the first two weeks would be great and if you could find a babysitter to help out that would be good. Maybe you could find a high school student who could help out after school, with dinner, etc. until your husband gets home? You might want to talk with the Guidance Counselor at the local high school for recommendations. Good luck!!

KrisM
12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
It will depend on you mostly. I recovered fairly easily. I was in the hospital for only 2 nights. The first night home, I had difficulty getting out of bed, but after that, I was fine. Our house had 8 steps up to bathrooms and bedrooms and I did those from the first day, while carrying DS. My doctor's instructions were not to drive for 2 weeks and to listen to my body and not overdue things. My DH was home for 1 week and after that I was on my own and was fine. But, I am sure others have had more difficulties in recovery. My guess is that after 2 weeks, you'll be getting around pretty well.

saschalicks
12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
With my c-section I have to say that the worst was actually those two weeks.

On the other hand taking care of two kids while recovering could prove to be a lot. DH & I decided to keep DS#1 in day care for that reason.

(1) I could lift DS, but then again he was a little over 7lbs. I think that lifting does get easier after the first two weeks.

(2) I don't have stairs, but I do see how they can be difficult. I don't know how people who are recovering manage them, so I hope someone else with experience can answer that for you.

(3) This was the absolute worst for me, but again after the 2 week mark I think I was doing better. I think of all of the pains this was the most difficult. For this reason I do think a back-up plan of somone to help may be beneficial.

(4) The big difference is that my DS#1 needs to be lifted into a high chair, bed, couch, changing table etc. Whereas, you don't have to worry too much about the lifting.

I've never had to hire someone myself, but I know a post partem doula may work or there are plenty of agencies that specialize in post partem help that you could probably contact now to set up interviews.

My biggest advice actually comes from listening to my doctor. He said to start walking ASAP and as much as I could handle b/c it would expidite the recovery. My family would take me for "laps" around the the nursery while in the hospital. I really do believe this helped me recover *quicker*. Good luck.

muskiesusan
12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
With my last c/s I was moving around better after two weeks (still sore, but tolerable!). I thought the rule of thumb was not to lift anything heavier than your baby (which means you shouldn't be carrying him in the infant carseat), so I wouldn't worry about the size.

After #2, my midwife told me that going down stairs backwards didn't stretch the incision as much and if I needed to lift my older DS for anything, to sit down and lift him up from the side. This was great advice as DS1 suddenly wouldn't do anything on his own (a bit of jealously I think), but he did try to go down the steps backwards a few times as well.

DH had a business trip he had to take when DS2 was a week old, so I bought a co-sleeper and it made the nights so much easier. I wish I had had it after #1. I would just sit up, grab the baby, feed and change him without moving too much. I also had a step stool since the bed was kind of high to make it easier to get in and out.

I think it would be a good idea to get a list/interview postpartum doulas in case you do need help. A lot just depends on how well your body does with the surgery (I had a host of infections after #1 that would have made it harder if I had two at home).

Good luck. Maybe the baby will flip!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

g-mama
12-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Anne,

I have had two c-sections. The first was not a good experience because it was after 12 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing which resulted in a broken tailbone. The second time was scheduled and was 100% different than the first time. Since yours is scheduled, you will not have endured all the labor and pain and soreness you might have had otherwise.

With my first, I only had my dh home for three days after I came home from the hospital. After that (baby 1 week old) I was on my own. It was really hard. But the second time I arrived home in much better shape physically and everyone kept remarking on how speedy my recovery seemed to be going and how good I seemed to feel.

They do say to lift nothing heavier than your own baby, so I don't think it matters if he were 6 lbs or 11 lbs. You will have to get in and out of bed in the hospital at times to get your baby to feed him. So that reality sets in early. And even when you're home with help, you probably won't have somebody to bring the baby to you each time, especially in the middle of the night. It can be just as hard to roll over to the bassinet to pull him towards you as it would be getting out of the bed. We have stairs and I had to go up and down them at least 10x a day, probably more. I just took it slowly and I was fine. I really think that by two weeks, you will not have problems leaning over to change the baby or put him in a swing, etc. I was driving at ten days and wouldn't have done so if I felt like I couldn't move around without pain because that would feel unsafe.

It's up to you if you think you'll need help, but honestly, I think you'll probably be fine. A scheduled c/s is so different than one that follows a long and exhausting labor. You don't really have much time to find a sitter if you don't already have any leads and I'd worry that would be stressful for you to deal with right now. It can be a long process and then you'd have someone you don't know at all and would you be comfortable in those early weeks with a brand new person in your home?

I hope you have a great delivery and don't worry about it. It's not as bad as you probably are imagining!

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

lmariana
12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
I've had two c-sections. The first one was very tough, the second seemed a lot easier.

I took better care of myself this time around, which I think helped me heal more quickly. I avoided stairs entirely for the first week after surgery. For the first two weeks, I pretty much just rested and took care of the new baby. My husband took care of our toddler. I was very strict with my pain medication timing (set an alarm to remind me what to take and when), which helps you heal more quickly because you're not in pain.

For me, getting in and out of bed and laying down were the most difficult. I probably took a week or two for me to feel well enough to do it on my own. I set up a mini fridge in my bedroom with water, juice, snacks, etc. I also used it to store EBM, so I wouldn't have to go downstairs all the time.

To answer your question, I did need help for about two more weeks after that. By week 4, I was feeling good. :) Remember, no driving either for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Sudden braking could damage your incision and/or cause internal bleeding.

Just take good care of yourself, listen to your body, and rest all you can! You'll make it!

Mariana
Mom to Gabe (8/03) and Atom (10/05)
www.heinzandmariana.com
http://www.geocities.com/kellysb/images/medals/purpleheart.jpg http://www.geocities.com/kellysb/images/medals/awardbar2-6wks.jpg

kellyotn
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I've had two planned c-sections. I really didn't any huge issues either time, and to be honest was very pleasantly surprised. I think planned vs. emergency can make a huge difference.

Both of my actual surgeries were pretty rough. With #1, DD was stuck very very breach in one side of my heart-shaped uterus. They had a hard time getting her out - lots of tugging, pushing and pulling - and my drugs were wearing off!! With #2, he was stuck enough that they needed to forcep him out, so again, pretty rough.

Get up and moving as soon as you possibly can, it helps a lot I think. With my first I wasn't out of bed until the next morning, but with my second, I was w/in a couple hours (I was helped into a wheelchair initially, then walked soon after). Just roam the halls and walk. :-)

I didn't have any issues with the steps in my two-story house, but my boss's wife had a **very** emergency c-section and had to spend a week or so sleeping in the living room because she couldn't take the stairs. I'm not exactly sure of the circumstances though, whether her doc was cautious, she was scared, or if it simply was too painful.

In my case, my doc just told me to not carry the baby down the stairs the first couple days in case of sudden pain, but it never happened. She also said driving was unofficially ok if I wasn't taking the narcotics (I didn't) and I felt ok with the stretching motion. My car with #1 was a manual transmission, so I waited two weeks, but with #2 I waited 1 week or so with an automatic transmission. I didn't ever feel like I was "pushing it". I actually felt a little silly with some of the restrictions, except for the no vaccuuming one. I "couldn't" do that for at least a month. (Or so I told DH.) Definitely listen to your own body and don't push it, I have read others who said they did and that they paid for it with additional soreness etc.

I did not have any issues lifting either as a newborn into their seats, carriers, strollers etc. When I had the 22 month old to worry about, I taught her before #2 was born how to climb into her own car seat - huge help.

Breastfeeding was fine, no problems whatsoever. Some people swear by a Boppy to help keep the baby off the inscision, I didn't find it necessary though. Probably depends on your torso height. Laying down was great, too!

With #2, he spent 13 days in the NICU, so I had lots of help for #1 in that time as I stayed at the hospital and only went home at random times during the day. By the time #2 came home, all help was gone and DH had to go on a business trip during days 15-19 or so. We fared fine all alone. The oldest cuddled with us on the couch a lot. When I shopped I got the cart where I didn't have to lift her in (the ones with the big plastic attachment, or the "car" ones). Honestly, any help would have driven me nuts at that point. I just didn't feel a need for it. I think I would have liked to have a Mom's Day Out, or a friend to watch DD - just for her to be able to burn off some energy and have some fun. But, we didn't have anything lined up and I didn't end up bothering with it.

Obviously, everyone is different and some people have a terrible time and for some its a breeze.

But, my experience really was pretty easy. Not as easy as the typical vaginal I'm sure, but not horrific at all.

And, who knows, maybe the baby will turn! Two weeks is a long time!

Best wishes,
kelly

kimbe
12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I agree with past posts that it will depend on you. I had a c-section after 30hrs of labor with an hour of pushing. I think that I recovered pretty fast. I had DH yelling at me to sit. DH went back to work full time after a week and I was on my own and I had no problems.

1 - My doctor allowed me to lift only the baby. (Not baby in carseat etc.) I didn't have much of a problem doing this. When I was BFing at night, DH would get DD for me so that I didn't have to get out of bed.

2 - I didn't have to go up and down stairs too much because we have a split entry. I did spend the first week on the first floor and kept the stairs to a minimum. It took me a long time to get up them. My doctor said stairs are okay, but try to make as few trips as you can.

3 - Once I got home, I was pretty okay getting in and out of bed. It just took a little extra time for me to get out of bed -- I sort of had to roll out and onto the floor and then get up. I didn't HAVE to have help. I would def. try to have the baby in the room with you. If you can have someone get the baby for you for the first couple nights so that you don't HAVE to get out of bed would be a good idea. Lying down to feed didn't work for me. Oh, after two weeks DH started sleeping through the night :) so I was on my own for the night shift.

4 - Bending over didn't hurt too bad. I would def. change the diaper on a bed and not on the floor.

I didn't need any help after two weeks. I am sure that you will be fine if you don't have any. You will have a quicker recovery time because you will be well rested when you have the c-section and you won't have all the pain and ugh, swelling that you would normally have if you went through labor and then had a section!

I hope that helped. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!!!!!!

smilequeen
12-05-2005, 09:35 PM
I think everyone is different in their recovery time BUT all of my restrictions were for 2 weeks, so my assumption would be that on average most are doing OK at that point.

I had an unplanned c-section (after 24 hours labor). The first day really sucked, I was so sore and so tired. BUT...for me, I was really only uncomfortable during my hospital stay (c/s was Mondy night and I went home Thurs morning). I had to take it easy the first few days at home, but I was really doing pretty well. I was a bad patient and carried the carseat with my son in it to and from lactation consultant appointments every other day during that time, pediatrician appointments, etc. And I was driving b/c DH was working and I didn't have anyone around after the first few days. I could get out of bed on my own. I just had to take things slow.

cbm
12-05-2005, 09:45 PM
I was reading the other responses and some suggested a post partum doula. That is a great idea! You may want to ask your doctor or the hospital where you will deliver about how to look for them. That is how I found a massage therapist that specialized in pregnant ladies.
Good luck.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

simba
12-06-2005, 12:01 AM
HI!
My recovery was super fast, also becasue my DS was in the NICU and I had to go back and forth. Also parking is always so diffucult and I had to walk at least one block each time, this after 4 days.
1) Lifting was no problem, but my baby was not even 7 pounds
2) goimg up and down was no problem at all after two weeks.
3) getting in and out of bed was no problem at all after 5 days
4) bending, no problem.

That said, the incision did hurt and I had to do things slowly, but things were doable and under control. hope this helps.

KBecks
12-06-2005, 08:56 AM
For me, I did not have help at all after my C-section. I think DH stayed home the first 2 days, but I think that was the weekend.

That said, I have a high pain tolerance and I was feeling good after surgery.

I liked having the privacy of being alone and not worrying about having to be presentable.

I pretty much camped out on the family room couch and kitchen area, and DS stayed with me and in his bassinet.

DS had several doc appts after he came home, and so I even was able to get out of the house with him right away, drive and manage the infant car seat.

WildMax
12-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi- newbie to the BBB.

Sounds like the others have offered up plenty of good suggestions and advice.

I would like to add a little reminder, pain medicines have been known to constipate a person. I was in the hosptial for 4 days after my c-sect. 4 days of pain meds really did a number on me. I just wish I had taken Metamucil or Citracel each day. Once home a couple of days under the care of my dear mother I was much better. I'm just surprised they allowed me to leave the hospital without going, if you know what I mean.

Everyone is different. Good luck!

octmom
12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Good advice! A couple of friends and I have talked about one bit of advice not emphasized enough for new moms-- take the stool softeners!!! My favorite nurse in the hospital told me I should take them, but that I would have to ask for them and the nursing staff would not bring them autoamtically. I didn't remember enough and paid the price a few days after I came home. Ugh. It was rough.

My DS was over 10 pounds and I carried him around with no trouble after my C/S. I was a bit sore for the first few days, but by two weeks after I was in good shape. I have been told that my pain tolerance is high and I gave up taking percoset quickly after my surgery. One of my friends seemed to have a much tougher recovery after her C/S. I did not drive for a couple of weeks, per doctor's orders, so the worst part for me was feeling stir crazy! Actually, I think it was almost exactly two weeks after my C/S that I woke up to have real ankles again and I found that I was at my pre-pg weight. I guess that may be what happens when you have a HUGE baby, a very large placenta, and you retain a ton of fluid. :) Something tells me it may be tougher to take off the weight this time around.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

amp
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Well, yesterday I hit 2 wks after my CS (my 2nd one) and DH went back to work, so I'm on my own w/ a newborn and a toddler. Obviously not a lot of experience, but here it is anyway...

1- My instructions said not to lift anything over 15 lbs for 2 wks. I still haven't had to lift DS too much, but did lift him briefly before the 2 wks and am fine. He is about 28 lbs. You should be able to lift your baby just fine. I had big babies too, and that's not an issue. Lifting a carseat carrier might be, if you are sore, but shouldn't be restricted though.

2 - They did not restrict my stair climbing w/ this CS, but did tell me to limit is last time. I tried not to do stairs more than 2 or 3x per day, just because it hurt and wore me out. Again, there was no restriction told to me this time at the hospital.

3 - I haven't needed assistance getting in or out of bed since the first week or so.

4 - In order to avoid bending over to change the diaper, or getting on the floor and having to get back up, I've taken to putting a towel or changing back/sheet saver under DS and changing him on the couch or bed while I sit on it. That way I don't hurt my incision, althoght frankly it's improved enough at 2 wks that I did get on the floor last night with no trouble.

My guess is you'll be fine after 2 wks and to wait and see how you do. Even after 1.5 wks I was worried about dealing w/ the logistics of a newborn and toddler after surgery, but by yesterday I was handling most physical stuff well.

Also, my driving restriction was for 2 wks also, and although I haven't yet driven, I could if necessary.

My best advice to you is to get out of bed and start moving the day they tell you to (usually the day after the surgery after 24 hrs), even though it will hurt like hell! And keep moving as much as you can handle. It will get better! And, when you get home, do what you can, to keep from getting too sore by laying down all day, but don't do too much, as I've found that wearing yourself out can cause more pay and delay recovery. Let others do stuff for you and your toddler while you care for the baby. Or let your toddler come to you to read, cuddle, help out etc.

Good luck! It'll be harder and easier than you think! You'll see!

bunnisa
12-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Okay, I have no experience w/ c-sections, but my first thought was: Isn't 2 weeks plenty of time to try to turn baby around?

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

justlearning
12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, we are going to try an external version right before the c-section. If it works, then hopefully I'll be able to deliver vaginally if there aren't any problems. However, my doctor seems uncomfortable attempting the version now because there are some risks of the baby becoming distressed, etc. Also, the baby's already around 9 lbs. according to ultrasound estimates, so I think it's harder to flip a larger baby than a smaller baby (of course, it's going to be even harder right before the c-section after the baby's even bigger).

The c-section is scheduled for the 16th, so at this point it doesn't seem worth it to go through the pain associated with the version and the possible risks to the baby. But...if any of you think that I'm giving up too easily on this (due to being persuaded by my doctor to go this route), then I'd appreciate hearing so.

octmom
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
This is really such a personal decision that I don't think anyone ought to try to convince you one way or the other, IMO, other than a qualified medical professional who is familiar with the specific details of your situation.

However you give birth, good luck! I took a childbrith prep class before DS was born and the instructor (a L&D nurse) repeated over and over-- the reason you are in this is to have a (healthy) baby! Don't let yourself get too wed to lots of specific ideas about exactly how the birth will be, because things can change in a moment. A plan is good to have, but flexibility is also very important. And always remember the end goal-- a baby!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

kellyotn
12-06-2005, 04:56 PM
They tried a version with my first baby. In my case, given my wildly heart-shaped uterus it wasn't happening. They told me the main risks were that I could go into labor from the pressure exerted, etc. I don't reccall hearing about much else in the way of risks. But, at the c-section her cord was wrapped firmly around her neck twice and that seems pretty scary that we were messing with her position not knowing that.

Anyway, we did it at 39 weeks when labor wouldn't be too scary if that happened. Another worry about trying before labor is that they get the baby turned, only to send you home and have the baby flip all over again in the following days or weeks. In my case, they were confident that if they got her turned, she wouldn't have room to go back. (Though who knows?)

I was on an IV medicine (a muscle relaxer to minimize the liklihood of contractions I think), the baby was constantly monitored via u/s and heartrate monitor. The doc doing the version was a surgeon of some sort. She messed around for about 5 minutes and said it wasn't happening. That was that. I was prepared for much more discomfort, but we just didn't really ever get to anything too radical because it wasn't to be. I had to stay in recovery for quite a bit of time so the baby could continue to be monitored for heartrate and movement.

All circumstances are different, you have to trust your instincts and your relationship with your doctor. I hope the version is successful! I would think you'd have a decent chance given its your second baby and your uterus is BTDT. ;-)

FWIW, at the version w/ all the u/s-monitoring both the u/s nurse and the doc said my DD was "over 9 lbs", 8 days later she was born at 8 lbs, 2 oz.

Good luck!

kristy
12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I had both of my boys via c-section and was suprised at how fast I recovered. Getting around was no problem after the first week. However, I did need help when I took both boys out to the store etc. I was so afraid that ds #1 was going to have a meltdown while we were out. We could have both gotten hurt.

pixelprincess
12-07-2005, 01:19 AM
I have had one C-section only so don't have quite the same experience as pp's. Although, my recovery took longer than others. DS nursed for long stretches at a time and I was exhausted. If help is an option, I'd say go for it since you'd be taking care of a toddler too.

Good luck!

Globetrotter
12-07-2005, 02:40 AM
I think it depends on several factors. My first c/s was rough, BUT it was after a very long labor. DD was small and not latching on, so basically the whole first week was a non-stop cycle of nursing/pumping/finger feeding/changing :( I wanted to nurse on demand, despite the pain, and I'm glad I did it but it wasn't easy shifting position every hour or so.

The second ended up being scheduled, though I was trying for a vbac. I was also very prepared for the experience and had an extensive birth plan. The recovery was easier, though I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I didn't have any feeding issues with DS. I did nurse on demand, and it was tough but worthwhile for me.

Definitely don't be scared to take your pain meds. I tried to tough it out some, but I think you will be better off if you take them. JMO. The first several hours were okay, simply because I was drugged out! The first couple weeks were the hardest for me, and I needed help for at least a month to six weeks. But that's me. You're not supposed to drive for a few weeks (I think it was six??) and I had to take DD to preschool. I had to climb steps after I got home, but I used to go up and down only once/day. The sooner you get up and walk around, the sooner you will recover, but don't overdo it, and avoid lifting things.
IMO, you will have an easier recovery if you have help. Postpartum doulas are a good bet. You could schedule one for a few hours before DH comes home.. I found those to be the hardest times as everyone was tired and cranky.

Keep things within easy reach so you don't have to move around much. Could you change your toddler on the bed, to lift him to a higher level? Good luck. It'll be fine.
Kris

julieakc
12-07-2005, 03:00 AM
I stayed in the hospital for the full 4 days after my c-section....wanted to take full advantage of resting, plus DS was in the NICU so I was in no hurry to leave him....would have stayed the whole time he was there if I could have.

Anyway...I didn't take any pain medicine after coming home...wasn't taking it as often as I could have while in the hospital either. I felt pretty good moving around although I was a bit slower than normal for the first week or so, especially with stairs...that might be a problem for you since you have a two-story house, but probably not for two long.

Certain positions or quick movements would be a little painful, but more in the realm of discomfort.

As for the lifting...the way it was told to me was not to lift anything heavier than your baby....obviously the bigger the baby the more strain, but you will want and need to take care of him..even if you do have help.

I started driving before I was supposed to too since I needed to go visit DS in the NICU.

The worst part of recovery for me was that the incision starts to itch, especially when the hair starts growing back...of course this falls under the annoying category.

Since you did so well after your vaginal delivery, hopefully your c-section will be an easy recovery for you too.

Good luck and congrats on your pending arrival.

essnce629
12-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Not going to comment on the c-section recovery since I've never had one, BUT I definately think you still have time to get your baby to turn. First off, I'd highly recommend visiting http://www.spinningbabies.com/ and trying some of the many ways to get your baby to turn. Also, I'd be running to a chiropractor who is familiar with working with pregnant women and knows the Webster technique. Chiropractors who use the Webster technique are extremely successful in getting breech babies to turn and there are no risks like that of external version. Also, even if the Webster techniqe doesn't work, it increases your chances of the baby turning during the external version. When I first interviewed my midwife for my homebirth, she said that she always sent all of her clients with breech babies to the Chiropractor for the Webster technique and in her 10 years of practice, she only had one mom who's baby refused to turn-- and that ended up being because the baby had an extremely short cord. Here's some more info on the Webster technique and you can also search for a qualified chiropractor in your area:

http://www.icpa4kids.com/webster_technique.htm

Also, studies show that having regular chiropractic adjustments during pregnancy shorten labor by 20%. I made sure to go a couple of times during my last month of pregnancy and definately think it helped me to have a super fast and easy birth experience (9 hours from first contraction to birth, 8 of which were pain free). Lots of time insurance covers some or all of chiropractic care, and even though mine didn't (military insurance at the time) I still only had to pay $30 a visit, which I definately think was worth it (and I was a poor full-time college student at the time).

Here's some info on external version as well.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980901ap/coco.html
The success rate before 37 weeks is 80%, while after 37 weeks it drops down to 63%.

I'd definately try all of the techniques on the Spinning Babies website first along with going to the chiropractor, then attempt a version if the baby still hasn't turned. Only after a failed version, would I schedule a c-section, and not until at least your due date.

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

justlearning
12-08-2005, 04:16 AM
I really appreciate each of you taking the time to share your experience with me and/or send good wishes. I feel much more encouraged now that I may be able to do OK on my own once my mom leaves. She also ended up changing her flight tonight so she's actually going to be here now for 2 1/2 weeks after the c-section date, so that will help even more so. I've also discussed with DH some possible options for coping after she's gone in case I'm struggling then (e.g., having my toddler attend daycare for a couple of weeks).

I'm going to keep thinking positively, though, about the possibility of my baby turning over before next Friday and will try to follow some of the suggestions found at spinningbabies.com.

Thanks again for all of your input--I'm always so grateful for the opportunity to get feedback from other moms on here.