PDA

View Full Version : WWYD...starting to resist swaddle.

ajrivers
12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm at a loss...DS is 5.5 months old and we swaddle him every night, but he is starting to buck a lot and cry when we wrap him and sometimes when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

I've tried totally unswaddled and one arm out and he just doesn't sleep for more than an hour, but I feel really bad now that it seems like he really doesn't like it. I'm also worried that he is going to turn over on his face and not be able to breathe if he starts bucking too much (he did this in the swing).

It also means that every time he wakes up in the night I pretty much have to get up with him and soothe him back to sleep since he has no way to soothe himself with his arms swaddled in the Miracle Blanket.

I really don't know what to do so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!! Amy

Rachels
12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd follow his lead. If he's letting you know that he's ready not to be swaddled, I think you need to respect that. There may be a transition time where he doesn't sleep as well, but eventually he will figure it out. It's normal development for him to start wanting to sleep loose instead of constricted. It will get easier!

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

Pennylane
12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm definetly not an expert on this but did just have a similiar situation. My ds got too big to be swaddled and when we tried to put him to bed he had the "crazy arms" that kept waking him up.

I read an article that said to put them to bed with a SMALL blanket, or a SMALL stuffed toy, anything they could hold on to that was safe. I purchased a small blanket at Target (maybe 5 x5) and he did great with it. Just something to make him feel safe and secure. I even slept with it the night before I gave it to him. They advised doing that too so he would have your scent with him.

I'm sure lots of people would think it was dangerous to have anything in the crib, but this worked for me.

Good luck. I know it's hard to go through another stage...Just remember this one will pass too!

Ann

jenmcadams
12-05-2005, 09:28 PM
My little guy is one day older than yours and we went through the no more swaddle (and no more swing) at night about a month ago and it was tough. It took a few nights, but he finally got to the point where he slept as well as he had with the swaddle (at that point he was still sleeping pretty poorly). He's gotten to the point now where he's able to soothe himself back to sleep at night (and is sleeping longer and longer stretches at night), but that initial transition period was rough.

Now naps are a different story. He still naps in the swing and we swaddle him for naps...I'd really like to wean him off both the swing and the swaddle at nap time, but I'm chicken :) the nighttime transition was rough and he's doing so well with sleeping overall now that I'm afraid to rock the boat.

The only real advice I have is to definitely give him some time to try to soothe himself back to sleep when he starts to fuss at night. Luke did cry some those first few nights, but now he's able to get himself back to sleep.

Sorry no big ideas -- mainly wanted you to know you're not alone :)

jesseandgrace
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I thought swaddling was mostly for the newborn stage, maybe the first month, so I definitely understand that he doesn't want to be swaddled now that he has control of his body a little, he wants freedom! He is reaching that age where he will be able to turn himself over, it made me nervous too, but dd kept flipping, and slept much better on her tummy - I always tried back to sleep, and kept flipping her back, but she was a tummy sleeper. When on their tummy they don't startle as much and they tend to sleep better. I think you will just have to get through this phase until he learns other ways to soothe himself and stay asleep without his swaddle. I'm surprised he's put up with it this long, my kids would have both forced their way out by 2 months at the latest, but maybe I'm in the minority :).

I was WAY to nervous about blankets, pillows, or toys until closer to one - even two years old with my first, honestly I still worry about blankets and pillows, but I'm just crazy!

missliss55
12-05-2005, 11:29 PM
OK, so my DD is 4 months old and still likes to be swaddled. Doesn't resist at all. I have tried transitioning out of the swaddle (arm out) and she constantly wakes up. I worry that she is getting to old to swaddle although she still likes it and sleeps very well. I wonder when and how to make the transition?

Sorry...don't have much advice as I am kind of there with you.

cmdunn1972
12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
My DS (now 7 months) started to resist swaddling at around 3 or 4 months. To keep him warm while sleeping, I bought him a Halo "Sleep Sack". It's basically like a personal sleeping bag that's sleeveless and zips top to bottom. I like that they come in both lightweight cotton (for warmer months) and cotton fleece (for winter). Also, there's plenty of room for his feet to move. Cons are that the fleece gets pills and that the cutout for the arms are somewhat smallish. Other than that, IMO it's a great alternative to swaddling, and it costs $20 at BRU:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069EXQ/qid=1133880296/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/103-4826165-4531010?v=glance&s=baby

For a 5.5 month old, I would get the 6-12 month size. We also bought two, so we'd always have a clean one around on laundry days.

ETA: He still uses his sleep sack, and he's an active little guy, so don't worry that he might grow out of it before you get your money's worth. He also uses a "lovey", basically a small stuffed animal that he holds on to while he sleeps. It keeps his arms busy. :)