PDA

View Full Version : More EMLA questions

lmintzer
12-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Joshua needs his blood drawn for RAST (allergy) test, and from the literature I've looked at, it appears that there is some benefit to using EMLA cream to numb him first.

Could people share their experiences using EMLA on toddlers getting their blood drawn? For example, did you contact the lab first to make sure they'd be on board with it? Did your general ped. write the 'scrip or did it come from someone else? Did you numb both arms in case they had trouble hitting a vein on the first? How did your child react to the EMLA itself (and the dressing over it)? Joshua might freak out from me putting the EMLA on and taping down a dressing. Has anyone used a different numbing agent?

heidiann
12-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I used this all of the time before we put IV's in children when I worked in the operating room. I'm not sure if the lab even has it but if not they can get it from somewhere else in the hospital. the only problem once its put on you have to hang out in the hospital for 30 minutes for it to take effect. the dressing itself is no big deal we used to put what looks like a clear square bandaid over the area usually the kids didn't even bother with it. before I put the cream on I always looked at the childrens arms or hands to see where I was going to put the IV before I even put the cream on. you could call the lab ahead of time to see if they have it in stock or if they can get it before you even go in.
thats the only numbing agent i've ever used.

HTH

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

lmintzer
12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks Heidi! I think I will either call or stop by the lab and talk with a peds person. I definitely want to have it planned out ahead of time to reduce stress for ds!