PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a single cup coffee maker?

mama2g03
12-05-2005, 11:58 PM
What kind and how do you like it? I want to get one for my mom for Christmas and of course the one I am leaning toward is the most expensive one I've looked at - the Tassimo by Braun. I like it because it does more than just make a cup of coffee. You can make tea, hot chocolate and cappucino. Just wondering if anyone has one of these and if they like it. Is it worth the $$$? I am also looking at the Keurig, Senseo and Melitta. Any info would be great. TIA!

icunurse
12-06-2005, 12:36 AM
We have one from Melitta. I bought it for DH last year at Linens & Things....it was free with the purchase of a big box of the single-serve coffe pods (around $42). The deal was also offered on other sites like JCPenney, etc. You can also make tea or anything else that comes in a pod. It's still working great and DH had no complaints (and he's a bit picky). He's used just about every type of pod by every manufacturer.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

mama2g03
12-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the tip! I will keep that one on my list. I feel better getting one that I've heard some positive feedback on and I guess I better decide soon.

Calmegja2
12-06-2005, 07:07 AM
I've had several, and they work fine, while they work, but then they stop working, and it's onto the next one.

I just chucked my second Tassimo. I bought one, and then had to replace it, because it stopped working properly. They gave me a new one, and I had to drop it on the counter, every morning, before I used it, to get it to work.

Prior to that, I had one from Gevalia, from Senseo, and one from Black and Decker. None of them worked consistently, after the first month or two.

Another thing to consider is that fresh beans make better coffee, and with pods, you lose that.

I want to love the concept of these machines. I just don't think it's right yet.

HGraceMom
12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
We chose the Keurig B100 for DH to install in his office after using one at a friend's house earlier this year. The coffee is really good - His uses little cups of coffee (think creamer containers at a restaurant) instead of the floppy filter pods, which I think makes the coffee taste fresher.

We went with the super-industrial version b/c it seems to be sturdier / more reliable than the "home" versions we looked at. The water resevoir is significantly larger which means fewer refills, key for the 3 of them in his office...

My only beef with the product is it brews a "small-ish" cup of coffee compared to the huge mugs I'm used to pouring.

edited for a brief desc. change about DH's office ;)

sunriseiz
12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
We leased a Keurig for a while at work and there were definitely mixed opinions regarding the taste of the coffee. One thing to keep in mind is that the cups for this one at least are relatively expensive, so if you (or dh) drink more than a couple a day it will add up fast. Also, as far as I could tell, this one only uses little cups made especially for this coffee maker. I thought it was ok...nice that each cup was fresh, but as the pp said they were small. In the end, we were going through too many little pod-cups to justify the cost. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

HTH,
Sunny

chlobo
12-06-2005, 08:40 AM
If you were interested in trying this without actually buying a machine I was offered a "free" machine if I traded in my old coffee maker through senseo. Here's some info.

Trade in your used coffee machine and give a new Senseo machine as a gift. Out with the old and in with the new. Senseo is traveling all over the country — from New York to Los Angeles — with their “Drop the Drip� event. Participants can trade in their used drip coffeemaker for a free Senseo machine (retail value $69.99) by visiting senseo.com/dropthedrip or by attending a “Drop the Drip� event on the ground as they travel to 10 select cities nationwide. The events offer consumers the chance to sample Senseo’s coffee and partake in product demonstrations in a fun and interactive outdoor café setting. To date over 2,500 drip machines have been dropped. Senseo’s “Drop the Drip� campaign also supports America’s Second Harvest, a leading hunger-relief organization in the U.S., for each coffeemaker received Senseo will donate $1 to hurricane relief efforts.

My old boss dreamed of owning one of these, mostly because he could never get used to putting the lid on the thermal carafe. LOL.

Mermanaid
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
I bought the Tassimo for dh for his Christmas present. I chose it because it's one of the only machines out there that brews coffee, tea and speciality drinks (expresso, cappuccino, etc.). I'm crossing my fingers that it's good.

Also, iheck with your local Linens and Things because they were having Tassimo tasting events. Plus, I used a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupon there bring the price down to a reasonable amount. I also used a 20% coupon to purchase the coffee ts (what Tassimo calls them).

Go to www.singleservecoffee.com for reviews of all the different kinds of single serve machines. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but it did offer good info.

mama2g03
12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback from everyone and the tips - I will definitely check into the Senseo trade-in event and I've got coupons standing by, too. Maybe a more basic model would be better to start with to see how things go. Although, I really like the versitility of the Tassimo so my dad could get some use out of it, too - he doesn't drink coffee, but would drink hot chocolate. It would be handy for my parents to take with them when they travel in their RV. Oh, decisions, decisions. Thanks again for your help.

Ari
12-29-2005, 06:43 AM
My Mom uses one and loves hers.