PDA

View Full Version : gift ideas for a single 40 something woman...

ctmom
12-06-2005, 12:31 PM
I need to get my sil a christmas gift and she is the one person who stumps me every year...She is divorced, without children, but she does have a dog. Does anyone have any ideas that don't include candles, lotions, picture frames and any other "I don't know what to get this person standbys"!! I'm thinking maybe a cookbook or two. Does anybody have any suggestions for a cooking for 1 or 2 cookbook? She is a workaholic and really doesn't have many hobbies...

Thanks!

psophia17
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Do you know if she's a tea or coffee drinker? A sampler of different teas or coffees would be a nice gift, and appropriate for a workaholic. For tea, an assortment of loose teas and a small teapot would be nice, and for coffee maybe a selection of different beans and a coffee mill...

I don't know any cookbooks good for 1 or 2...I have always had a fridge full of leftovers :)

bunnisa
12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Does she like to cook? If she's a workaholic she might not have a lot of time.

What's your budget? I'm thinking a wine-of-the month subscription, or a gift certificate for a high-end carryout deli type place.

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

kedss
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
maybe a magazine subscription? Like Gourmet, or one of the other cooking magazines?

or maybe a gift certificate for a favorite restaurant?

I also like the tea/coffee idea. :)

juliasmom05
12-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Our local grocery store does cooking lessons. How about cooking lessons? Or how about a gift certificate for a local spa for a manicure or massage or something like that. I like the idea of cookbooks but unfortunately I don't know of any for 1-2 :(. I also like the coffee/tea gift basket idea. Peets has a good selection of Holiday items.

http://www.peets.com/Default.asp?rdir=1&

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Dcclerk
12-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I think something to make her feel pretty and special is always great, like a gift certificate for a manicure, some decadent slippers, a great smelling heat wrap, some expensive line make-up sets (they seemed to have some really good deals at Nordstrom when I was there on Saturday and they did a great job of wrapping the make-up I got for my SIL). I'm a big fan of things from Redenvelope and Garnet Hill this season.

If you decide to go with a cookbook, I recommend anything by Cook's Illustrated, America's test kitchen. Very few pictures but REALLY helpful descriptions of what they did in order to arrive at the best XYZ. I take a lot of liberties when cooking, and really like to read why something works and when it doesn't. I have quite a few Cook's Illustrated cookbooks, and I really believe they have made me a smarter cook who can throw things together without a recipe more easily.

Good luck!

KBecks
12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
The mother of all cookbooks is The Joy of Cooking. It's awesome. I'm not a good cook, but I love using it as a reference because it has info and how-tos on all kinds of foods.

Otherwise, I'd look for something by Rachael Ray.

Ari
12-29-2005, 06:42 AM
How about a gift card ?

Jen841
12-29-2005, 08:34 AM
What about some really plush towels? There is something special about those.

If she cooks, Rachel Ray is my fav for fast/easy meals. I appreciate high end cooking gadgets, but that is b/c I once really loves experimenting with food (pre-2 kids!)

Would she use an individual coffee maker or tea maker?

Starbucks gift card and a high end travel mug?

New handbag? Coach?

We error to B&N gift cards for our single don't know what to buy for people. We figure they can use it for books, music or stationery.

Tiffany pen set?

Basket of Trader Joe's easy to prepare foods?

Gosh, I am out of ideas. Sorry!