PDA

View Full Version : Another air travel question regarding online check-in...

MegND95
12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
We are flying from O'Hare at Christmas on United. When dh made the reservations, he got seat assignments. Problem is, dh and my older two kids are seated one right behind the other. I called immediately when I noticed the problem and was told they COULD NOT change the seats, as there were no more groups of three. How that is possible since we made the reservations in early September, I have no idea, but that is a post for another day. So, I was PROMISED that we could make the change the day of travel. My question is this...can we still check in online?? Obviously, I want my kids sitting with their Daddy and not some stranger, so I am paranoid that I will misstep in the process and have my family scattered all over the plane.

Any advice would be welcome!

deenass
12-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I would check in online and get boarding passes. When you get to the gate, explain your situation and see if they can help you. They may be able to or they may say that you need to wait until you get on the plane and the flight attendant will help you.

Chances are pretty good that they will work it out on the plane. Who would really want to sit next to two children without their parent? Someone will change with you.

ctc221
12-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm not exactly sure about United's policies since we usually fly Continental, but here are some suggestions:

I would call reservations regularly (or check online if you have online access to your reservations) to see if seats can be moved around. A lot of times, even if the seats are full, there will be changes as the travel date approaches. If you check in online, you might be able to change seats when you check in (that's how it works for Continental). Finally, if you aren't able to get the seats you want before the travel date, ask the agents at the airport. If it's still full, the flight attendants can help you out. Especially when it comes to children and keeping families together, the other passengers are usually pretty accomodating. One thing that will help if you have to make an onboard switch is to make sure that everyone's seat right now is a "good one", i.e. aisle or window. It would be much easier to get someone to switch from their original seat (especially is it's a middle seat) to an aisle or window. I have seen people refuse to give up their seats if they were going to switch into a middle seat. Aisles seem to be the most popular, then window.

HTH! Good luck, and have a great flight!

AC

DD 02/02
DS 11/04

wagner36
12-06-2005, 01:28 PM
There's some sort of FAA rule about which and how many seats can be booked ahead of time. They will probably just rearrange them for you at the gate - I would just try to get to the gate pretty early so that they have time to rearrange everyone. Charlie and I weren't even set to sit together over thanksgiving! We got bumped to first class both times, so I wans't complaining...

Momof3Labs
12-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Don't wait until you get to the gate to rearrange them. Do it at the ticket counter, when you check your bags. If they can't do it then, you can check again at the ticket counter, but I wouldn't wait until then to ask.

hez
12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Ditto. Ask early (when you check your bags bags) and ask often (ask again at the gate if the counter doesn't give you what you want), and ask nicely. Finding an agent who doesn't look stressed helps, too, 'cause they're generally in a better mood and willing to do the extra to help you out :)

We didn't have seats assigned on the flights we just took in November, and checking in early online (3 or 4 hours early) worked for us-- decent seats all in a row.

Good luck!

sarahbrown29
12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
From a former frequent traveler on United from O'Hare ...

Go ahead and check in online. You may be able to change your seats there. If not, continue to check in. When you get to the gate, explain the situation to the gate agent. But be prepared ... you may have to wait until near the end of boarding for them to change your seats. That is why there isn't any reason to get there extra early.

If you can't get your seats changed by the gate agent, or don't want to wait until the end to board, go ahead and board when you normally would, and ask the flight attendants for help. They can ask other passengers to change seats to accomodate your family. The only time this is a big issue is when you are asking someone to switch from a window/aisle to a middle seat. No one wants to sit in the middle!

Good luck!

mharling
12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I would call the day before your flight and see about changing them. A phone person for United told me that seats get released the day before and they can be assigned over the phone vs. in person at the airport. I don't think they can do this the day of the flight though. It worked for me this summer; I think I called around 5:00pm. And if it doesn't work, I agree that you'll likely still somehow be able to sit together.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

Sarah1
12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Don't worry about it. We've been able to change our seats at the gate when I couldn't do it beforehand. It won't be a problem, I'm sure!

Zansu
12-07-2005, 09:07 AM
This has happened to us on AA, so United may be different.

Check in online. You need to do this to make sure you have seats on the plane, in case you're running late, and so you can check in at the curb or skip the check-in counter if you are not checking luggage.

The check-in counter loses control of seat assignements 3-4 hours before a flight. They can assigne you an available seat, but they cannot help with special requests.

Go to the gate and tell them what you need. There is usually a group of seats reserved for last minute situations or people with limited mobility, etc.

No airline is going to let a young child sit next to a stranger if the parents are on the same flight. And very few travelers want to sit next to any child if they can avoid it.

I would suggest that you limit your carry-ons as much as possible. If they have to move people who are already seated, and all of the overhead bins are taken, the people moving will not move their bags, and yours may have to be checked. If you're carrying presents, ship them ahead of time.