PDA

View Full Version : The Little Gym: Did you like it? Was it worth it?

jbowman
12-06-2005, 05:26 PM
The Little Gym is opening in January in the town where I live. I am interested in opinions, experiences, etc., that you've had with it. We are thinking of taking Ellie (she'll be two in a couple of days), and then later, DD #2. Was it worth it? Would you do it again?

I tried searching for threads on this, but came up with nothing! I hope this isn't redundant!

TIA! :)

jmac588
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I've only been to about 3 birthday parties there but I thought it was great. Although, keep in mind, I've never been to a Gymboree or similar. The kids always have fun on the equipment (balance beams, parallel bars, etc.). HTH.

jayali
12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
We currently are enrolled at the Little Gym and I am so disappointed. Each week there is supposed to be some sort of "lesson", but the teacher we have has a really hard time relating it to the group. Either that or I just don't get it. Also, while she says to let the kids wonder that the place is completely safe I wonder how true that is and keep an eagle eye on my son. Let's face it, the equipment is full-sized gym equipment, so how safe can it be for an 18 month old - DUH!. The format of our class is really unstructured. We spend a lot of time "exploring", which means DS and I are using gym equipment on our own. I hate classes that really an on your own with your child for an hour. Seems like these types of classes are really more of a social outings for mommies without anything concrete for the kids. DS and I are on our own at the playground. The reason I am paying for the class is for structure and instruction.

Whew - now that I got that off my chest I will say that I do think the success of the class is really dependent on the teacher. We also do a music class that both DS and I love. He is IN LOVE with his teacher!! We did a make-up class with another teacher and he hated it. So like I said you really need to check out the teacher. Take as many free/trial classes as they offer.

Also if you have a My Gym in your area check that out. My Gym, like Gymboree, offers a free hour of play time in addition to your scheduled class time. I think that would really come in handy during the winter. We live in NJ and have all ready had snow so I wish we had gone with a place that allowed us to use the facilities in addition to class time.

Sorry so long winded, but hope it helped a little.

Sarah1
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
LOVE the Little Gym. Totally worth it. Hands down Audrey's favorite of all her classes.

Marisa6826
12-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Sophie has been going for two 'semesters' now, and I've just signed her up for her third one. We LOVE it, but I think a lot of it has to do with the instructor and also the parents in your particular class. This current semester, I switched out to a different class. Mostly because Sophie was already somewhat ahead of what this particular class was learning (she already knew body parts, shapes, colours), but there were also a few Mothers that thought the place was more for a coffee break sans coffee, and not paying attention to their kids (who were the most out of control ones there, naturally). Anyway...

They do offer a freebie class so you can check it out, and I highly recommend doing so. That way, you can get a feel for what the class is like. She'd be in the "beasts" class, right?

I think it's totally worth the money, and (obviously) would do it again.

-m

Marisa6826
12-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Jeannine-

Just curious. Which LG do you go to? I'm also in NJ (Essex County), and really like the one here.

I do totally agree that it depends a LOT on the instructor. Have you considered switching to a different time slot?

-m

jbowman
12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Thank you for your responses! I really appreciate your insight! We have a free class that we can attend, so I think we'll do that.

And yes, Marisa, she'll be in Beasts--I can't think of a more fitting title! ;)

jayali
12-07-2005, 09:03 PM
We are in Monmouth County and our Little Gym is in Manasquan. After reading all of these posts I am so sad. Sounds like we just are having a bad experience. Unfortunately the only other "Birdie" class has the same teacher. Once this semester is over we will probably try Gymboree or My Gym. I have heard some good things about the ones in our area.