PDA

View Full Version : OT--Chiropractors and pain

sidmand
12-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Okay, I've never been to a chiropractor before but my back and legs are killing me. I think pregnancy sciatica may have stayed around and I figured I would give it try.

But I don't know how to tell if it's actually working. I don't feel better, but I know it's been a pretty short time (I've been five times in two weeks so far). He has me on a schedule to come three times a week for four weeks, but I just can't fit that many in. I'm thinking two times a week at the most...

But it hurts A LOT every time he does an adjustment to any part--he does my back, my sides, and it especially hurts my head/neck. Granted I have a lot of tension from 35 years and from carrying my 19 lb DS! But should it hurt so much? And will it stop? I'm getting to a point where I'm tensing up and dreading going and since I can't tell yet that it's helping...If I knew for sure that it was supposed to hurt and that soon it won't and it takes a bit of time, but it will help, that would make a difference.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Momof3Labs
12-06-2005, 06:07 PM
I've been to two different chiros over the last 5 years - one uses the Palmer method, which tends to be more, um, jarring. The other is much more gentle and specializes in pregnant women. In both cases, I might have some soreness immediately following an adjustment, but it is gone in a day or less (relaxing, limiting your lifting and hot or cold as advised by your chiro helps). When I went to the first chiro, I just went as needed. It normally took only one visit to feel much better, though once it took two visits. With my new chiro (who also recommended the 3 visits per week for 4 weeks thing - sorry, can't do that), I felt much, much better after about 3 adjustments over 2 weeks. Now I haven't been in for a few weeks because of travel and scheduling conflicts, and feel like I can use an adjustment, but I'm not in a lot of pain. I just feel a little out of whack.

I'd suggest that you stop your visits for a little while and see how you feel. It may also be worth a second opinion, or even consulting a physical therapist (whose treatment takes longer IME but can still be very effective).

It also could be something that could be better treated by a different type of doc, but that's out of the range of my experience.

jd11365
12-06-2005, 07:24 PM
ACCUPUNCTURE!!!

I swear by it, and so do my friends who have suffered from sciatica pain and have taken my advice. You only need one or two visits...at least with my guy...and you are healed! I mean healed!

brittone2
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I was also going to suggest a physical therapist (disclaimer...I used to work as a PT but in pediatrics). Another benefit is that it may be covered under your insurance (would be more likely than chiro being covered in many instances). You may need to ask for a referral from your PCP for it to be covered depending on your insurance and scope of practice laws in your state.

I personally do not think it is possible to say one takes longer than the other.

After 2 weeks of treatment, I'd expect to see *some* improvement at least. The combo of it being as painful as you seem to find it plus not finding relief would lead me to check out some other options. Personally, for a pregnant woman I'd be opposed to aggressive mobilizations since your ligaments are already more lax as a result of all of the pregnancy hormones.

If you go the PT route, you can often find someone who has taken additional continuing ed in women's health/pre/post natal issues. Look for someone in an outpatient orthopedics practice.

HTH

barbarhow
12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Debbie-I went to both a DO and a chiro for the last trimester of Anna's pregnancy. I had adjustments twice a week for severe pelvic pain. Usually for a few hours afterward I would be sore and then the pain would improve for a couple of days. Have you told him that it hurts? I know that feeling of dreading the adjustment. Maybe you could see if massage is covered by your insurance. My chiro actually has massage therapists in the office and it is covered as a PT service. I only pay a copay.
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

brittone2
12-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure that is legal...there's a big difference education-wise between a PT and a massage therapist. I don't believe massage therapists can legally bill for PT services in any way. It is also illegal in most states for a chiro to say they provide physical therapy, as you have to be licensed as a PT to make that claim (chiros can provide "rehabilitation" though). Maybe they are billing it under some other code but not as physical therapy. I haven't worked in an outpatient ortho setting in a while but that sounds odd to me.

Anyway, if you are looking for physical therapy (to the OP) I would not go to a massage therapist. Massage can be helpful, but that is only one of many modalities (treatment methods) a PT can use. A massage therapist is pretty limited in their scope of practice with regard to their other options. If insurance is paying, I'd go to someone who has other modalities available in their treatment tool box ;)

sidmand
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I had been thinking of trying pretty much all that was mentioned: acupuncture, massage, PT, and orthopedist.

I'm thinking chiropractry (is that a word) at least at this place is not for me, at least not at the moment.

My Dad's wife has been telling me over and over to see my doctor. It's just that doctors can never seem to find what is wrong with me! And I just couldn't bear another appointment where they told me they couldn't find anything wrong (although I'm in pain) and then tell me since they can't figure it out, it must be my diabetes. Argh.

I guess I should at least give the doctor a chance. And I'm just not a fan of these adjustments and if I can't relax, I don't think they're going to help too much, are they?

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

brittone2
12-07-2005, 12:14 AM
I just wanted to say I hope you get some relief soon. A general practice doc may not be great at diagnosing or treating you (just because they have so many other areas that they must be knowledgable in...they aren't always great IME with orthopedic stuff) but should be able to give you a referral for PT (if you go that route) without much hassle if you ask for one. I reread your post and realized that this was something you mentioned lingering from what you were pg, and obviously you aren't currently pg...so disregard my comments on that ;)

Also fwiw, I doubt you'll need to see an orthopedist. If you were t hinking that based on my post, I just meant a PT with a background in orthopedics, but I can't imagine you'll need to see an actual orthopedist unless things get really bad.

With PT or chiro, you may experience some discomfort or soreness during or after treatment, but this should be lessening, and after a few sessions if it isn't any better whatsoever, I think it may be time to try something different. IMO you shouldn't be dreading the adjustments and not getting any relief. There are good and bad chiros and good and bad PTs, just like any profession. I hope that you'll be able to find a practitioner (of whatever type) that can help ease your pain.

Let me know how things go if you get a chance.

julieakc
12-07-2005, 02:48 AM
I went to a Chiro for the first time a few months after DS was born. Back and neck were killing me. After my first adjustment I felt worlds better! A tiny bit sore, but almost total relief of pain. I saw the Chiro about 3 times over a two week period and then he pronounced me done...said just to come back whenever I started feeling bad.

A few months ago I did go back....different Chiro, as the first one moved...saw Chiro #2 twice and again was pronouced done and told just to come back as I felt it was needed. Again, I felt a tiny bit sore after the adjustments, but worlds better in terms of my pain and mobility levels.

As one of the pp mentioned there are good and bad doctors, therapists, chiros, etc. out there and perhaps this chiro wasn't a good fit for your needs, or as you mentioned perhaps this method of treatment isn't for me.

As for me....I personally love a good adjustment...even though I've only had a few. It helped me SOOOO much.

Definitely try a good massage too and see if that helps at all.

Good luck.

barbarhow
12-07-2005, 05:55 AM
I wasn't suggesting that she see a massage therapist for PT. I was suggesting that massage might help in the pain that she is having. As someone who has had quite a bit of musculoskeletal pain from a herniated disc to diastasis it is a wonderful adjunctive therapy.
Whether or not it is legal to bill the way my chiro is billing-honestly I couldn't care less. I need the massage to get by, I get it as an affordable rate, he is reimbursed. I know that many other chiro offices offer massage that is covered as well. I have seen others here posting on the same. Perhaps our state is just more liberal or my insurance provides better coverage. I doubt that my chiro is doing something blatantly illegal.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

trumansmom
12-07-2005, 09:37 AM
My chiro also had a licensed massage therapist in his office. I was prescribed a deep tissue massage before each of my appointments. It was GREAT! I also have the touchiest insurance in the world, and they didn't say a word!

Most enjoyable "prescription" I've ever had! Better than Darvocet!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

brittone2
12-07-2005, 11:20 AM
I wasn't saying massage isn't wonderful at all. I wasn't saying your chiro can't bill for massage. I was saying that *if* he's billing massage services to insurance as "physical therapy" in most cases that is not legal. If he's billing massage to insurance under a different code, it is probably just fine.

Unfortunately, billing practices are handled unethically/illegally all of the time by all sorts of practioners. I've witnessed things as a PT in the outpatient offices where I interned too. It happens all of the time, but I don't think of it as a casual thing...I actually consider it quite serious. I'm sure your chiro is on the up and up, but I just was pointing out that if it is being billed as physical therapy that is most likely not legal unless a PT is providing the massage.

I mentioned the difference between massage and PT only because a lot of people do not know the difference between the professions, which is one of the things I found most frustrating about my professional organization (the American Physical Therapy Association). They have not done a good job at all in educating the public about a PT's education, training, and areas of expertise. I wasn't suggesting you didn't know the difference, I just wanted to make sure the OP knew what options were available to her and what the differences are so that she can decide which practitioners she would like to see.

Sorry if my post came across wrong...I was just trying to point out there are differences between chiro and PT, and PT and massage since a lot of people don't know where the boundaries are between those professions. Just trying to help the OP ;)