PDA

View Full Version : Happy St. Nicholas Day! Anyone else celebrate?

mcdonald29
12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Dec. 6th was a tradition for DH growing up, and he was so excited to continue the tradition w/DS today. Traditionally St. Nicholas left them pfeffernussen (pepper cookies), oranges, and chocolate in a wooden shoe (FIL is German but grew up in Netherlands). Last night we had to make do with raisins, Goldfish, and a train I'd been saving for Christmas, but at least had the wooden shoe!

Does anyone else do anything special?

psophia17
12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Both my parents were born in Holland, so I'd like to get some Dec. 6 traditions going...I need to get some wooden shoes first, though. Today we went to McDs for lunch and grocery shopping - not a very exciting Sinterclaas, but we'll do better next year. I did ship a bunch of Dutch goodies to my family in NY, though - they can't get them there, but I have a Dutch store right nearby...so they got their chocolate letters, stollen, and gevulde koek this year :)

The store's website is: http://www.hollandshop.com/ and I get all sentimental when I go there...what I wouldn't give for some boerenbont dishes *sigh*

ctmom
12-06-2005, 07:06 PM
at my dd school they each left a shoe in the hallway and "St Nicholas" left a poem and candy cane in each shoe. We left some shoes outside last night and St Nicholas left us each a clemintine...

muskiesusan
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, being sleep deprieved, I forgot to put it out last night, but the boys will be getting their traditional ornaments tomorrow morning for our celebration.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

daniele_ut
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Petra - We put out our klompen by the fireplace for Sinterklaas this year! We have a Dutch store nearby and Sinterklaas was there with Zwarte Piet on Saturday. We took Logan to see them and he just stared and stared at them! We picked out some klompen for him and picked up chocolate letters, and speculaas. Logan is now addicted to speculaas!