PDA

View Full Version : OT: Xmas tree garland

Wife_and_mommy
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know how/where I could find instructions for putting ribbon on a tree as garland? I've always wrapped it around but saw a really pretty tree last year that had it kind of bunched up in random places(sorry, it's the best description I can come up with). I want to do that but can't find directions for how/where to put it. I'm very frustrated and my tree is sitting with lights and nothing else. If I can't figure it out by tomorrow night, it'll go up as usual but I really wanted to do it differently this year.

Thanks you so much for any ideas.

DebbieJ
12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Hmm, I don't know about the bunches thing.

I decorate with gold ribbon as opposed to the glittery tinsel/garland. I secure it all at the top and let it cascade down vertically as opposed to wrapping it around.

Maybe when I get it all finished I can post a pic. Mine is sitting with lights only as well.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

octmom
12-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Do you use ribbon with wire in it? I think it may be called French ribbon? I suspect that kind of ribbon might allow for more shaping. Just a thought. HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2005, 07:35 AM
I would love a pic of yours. Thanks, Deb. The way you do it would be a change from the usual so that would be awesome.

It's also nice to know my tree isn't the only undecorated one! I have *always* had my tree up and decorated before Thanksgiving. I feel like such a slacker but life has gotten the best of my tree-decorating time.

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Yes, I should have specified. I do used 2.5 inch wired ribbon.

octmom
12-07-2005, 08:58 AM
It's a little hard to see exactly what the ribbon is doing, but I think it looks very pretty just sort of woven thorughout the tree as you have it. I'm not sure how you would cluster it.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

muskiesusan
12-07-2005, 09:16 AM
I use ribbon in my tree similiar to yours, but I will say my ribbon fills it more and is also a bit more random. I don't know if it's the clustered looked you are referring to, but I get the look by cutting the pieces up into smaller, more manageable pieces rather than one continous piece. This allows me to play with it to make it look fuller. You can't tell it is cut pieces since the ends are tucked away. I will try to post a pic later, or find one from last year.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2005, 10:02 AM
That would be awesome, thank you. I think my description just wasn't very good. I don't like the thought of chopping up my ribbon(it has sentimental value) but I do like your look better than how I've done it in the past so I guess I could be strong if you could tell me about what sizes to chop them to.

Thanks alot, Susan.

murpheyblue
12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I use wire ribbon as garland but I wrap it around the tree a la a traditional garland. The key to making it look good for me is to let the wire in ribbon work for you to create some texture and waves so the ribbons not just wrapped flatly around it. I'm probably not explaining that well. I'd be happy to take a picture but I won't be home until tonight.

muskiesusan
12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't chop up the ribbon if it has sentimental value! Maybe use it as you normally do and buy some complimentary ribbon to fill it in with (Hobby Lobby has it cheap!). I actually use two different style ribbons on mine.

I will try to post a pic later!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
See, that's what I've always done. I didn't use the wire in the ribbon to my advantage. After looking at pics of last year's tree decor, I definitely need to do something different.

I think Susan may be able to help me but I would love to see a pic of yours too. :) I could use all the help I can get if I have to resort to the usual.

spanannie
12-07-2005, 04:11 PM
We use ribbon as garland. My tree is HUGE so it's a real undertaking to wrap it. I just wrap it around the tree. I kind of loosely twist the ribbon and tuck it into some branches, so it doesn't look like I've just wound it around. Notice the lovely bottom of the tree ;-) My DD enjoys loosening the garland and removing all ornaments.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31029.jpg

spanannie
12-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Why do all of my pics always come out so big? I resized by 50%!!! How much should I be resizing?

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
It's not too big! It's showing detail. ;)

I guess I haven't put as much effort into putting the ribbon as I always thought I did. It never looked nearly as beautiful as yours. Thank you for sharing.

Our tree is in a corner so I, at least, don't have to make the entire thing look good but I'm definitely going to spend more time putting it up than I have.

I can't wait to see the other pics.

spanannie
12-07-2005, 04:58 PM
You're very sweet...and I think your tree is beautiful too.

Our tree was in a corner, but my DH moved it, so i had to decorate the other side of it, too. Our tree is such a pain to decorate, but I really enjoy it when it's done.

ethansmom
12-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Have yet to do it this year, so this is from memory. ;-)

I store the ribbon on a roll and then twist the roll as I'm winding the ribbon around the tree. Then, once the entire ribbon is on the tree, I go around and randomly twist sections and push other sections further into the tree.

BTW, I do lights, ribbon, then ornaments.

It does take forever, though.

Wife_and_mommy
12-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Oh my gosh!! Thank you. I'm not the type who can see it and do it. Your instructions help immensely. Now to see if I can hear it and do. ;) I will give this a try.

Thank you!

I know everyone's busy but I would still love to see Xmas tree pics if you have them handy. :)

muskiesusan
12-09-2005, 06:26 AM
I am sorry I haven't posted a pic yet, but my kids are now both sick and permanently attached to me! I haven't been able to transfer the photo over from my computer as a result, and actually, I still haven't been able to get a decent photo (bad lighting).

Just to let you know, I cut the pieces in different lengths, usually a couple of feet in length, but it various. I learned the trick from my MIL who is a florist. She said most of the Christams and floral displays you see out have cut ribbons as you can achieve a fuller and more flowy look.

HTH

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Wife_and_mommy
12-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Susan,

Thanks so much for the additional info. I really appreciate it. I'm working on trying to do it without cutting the ribbon but might just go to town, so to speak.

I hope your boys feel better soon. Here's to a winter with no more illnesses! :)

Thanks again.

Mamma2004
12-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Could I just ask how many linear feet of the 2.5" wire ribbon one needs for an 8' tree? Thanks so much!

Stephanie

P.S. You have all inspired me to go out and buy ribbon tomorrow!

Wife_and_mommy
12-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, I had 30 feet for several years and just bought 30 more. The original 30 were not enough but I never knew how bad it looked. I have yet to finish my ribbon garland so I can't say for sure but I think that 60 or 75 feet would do you.

HannaAddict
12-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Annie,
You have a gorgeous tree! It looks like a professional decorated it. Wow. I think my tree needs a makeover. Thanks for posting this picture, it is just really beautiful.

Kimberly

Mamma2004
12-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Thank you! I have been looking for the "right" ribbon and once I find it, I just want to be sure to have enough!

When you finish yours, I would love to see a photo!

Thanks again,

Stephanie

spanannie
12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks!

You should see it today...the kids have been having their way with it, lol!