PDA

View Full Version : Crayon marks on melamine: please help!

josephsmom
12-07-2005, 08:46 AM
DS has a wooden table-and-chair set with melamine seats and tabletop. I've just discovered crayon marks on some of the melamine areas. Of course he didn't use washable crayons for this particular project. My mistake, leaving the non-washable ones in his reach. Can anyone recommend a product that might be able to clean this up? I tried Kaboom and it did absolutely nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Helene
Mommy to Joseph, 12/29/01

tarabenet
12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
A Magic Eraser might help. That sounds like the kind of thing it is really good at, although I haven't tried that particular cleanup project. You might also spot-test the old stand-by of scrubbing gently with a paste of baking soda and water. Let it stand a bit, the rub a bit, the let it stand, etc. That always gets ink, tea, coffee and other bad stains out of my kitchen counters, anyway.

Hippoharbor
12-07-2005, 09:45 AM
My DH just drank a snapple yesterday and under the cap it read "to remove crayon marks from walls, use a blow dryer. The hot air will heat up the wax making it easier to remove". I don't know if this can help your situation, though.

Michelle

babybunny
12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Try Goo Gone which is available in the cleaning products aisle of the supermarket. It took off crayon marks from wood paneling.

kellyotn
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I have had great success with the Magic Eraser. Loooooove that thing, magic indeed.

I have used it on white melamine & crayon with no problems. I just suggest getting it slightly damp (or even try dry first) and testing an inconspicuous area first so that you can see if it affects the finish at all.

I've never had any problem, but I figure it works so good on what you want to remove, that one of these days its going to take off what I don't want to remove. :-)