PDA

View Full Version : Would you avoid artificial trees?

SweetTooth
12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I learned about lead in lights & artificial Christmas trees in a previous post. We bought a large, beautiful (and pricey!) tree last year & have not put it up this year in fear of the lead exposure. We also have fake garlands & wreaths. Below is a site with a news story on this topic. Apparently, there's a kit you can buy to test the level of lead. Would you buy this kit, avoid artificial trees altogether or just be cautious? Yes, we can wash our hands after handling the tree & keep DS from touching it, but isn't it lead dust & therefore in the air?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/5426401/detail.html

Any input is appreciated. We'd love to start decorating. By the time we get the kit & test our tree, it'll likely be Christmas already!
Thanks,

JFC
12-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Honestly, I don't know... we actually went to buy our artifical tree this year after hearing about the large amounts of pesticides on most live trees, which carries its own risks. That said, we haven't put up our tree yet and the more reading I do, the less eager I am about it. I'm leaning to using our itty-bitty artifical tabletop tree from last year... I'd love to hear what others think.

amp
12-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Can't avoid it. I'm allergic to the real thing and having a real tree in my house, much as I'd like to, would be a sure road to sickness for the holidays.

new_mommy25
12-07-2005, 04:49 PM
No.

s_gosney
12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm allergic too, so a real tree is no fun either. And as a pp pointed out, real trees often have pesticide issues. What I am doing is just trying to keep dd from touching it and if she does, we wash our hands. This is what Beth (Brittone) recommended. I haven't researched it myself, but I trust Beth's research! :)

JBaxter
12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
My oldest is allergic to all green and growning things but a cut christmas tree has never bothered him. ( it was also ok'd by his allergist)

tarahsolazy
12-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Me neither. But, I don't plan on having the tree up for more than a week or so, and I don't plan on letting DS chew on it. HE may have other ideas, but we'll just watch closely.

g-mama
12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Nope. I wouldn't worry too much.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

crayonblue
12-07-2005, 07:24 PM
DH is allergic and since I try my darndest to minimize allergens in our house, I am not going to add a live tree to his trials. So, artificial is the way we are going. Lauren doesn't touch it so I'm not worried about that.

brittone2
12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Ours is up for this year, but I want to get it tested and we'll decide from there. I feel fine about washing hands and not letting DS touch it a whole lot or put his mouth on it in terms of the lights, but the combo of the lights plus the tree (if it has lead) might make me a bit concerned. The airborne factor of the dust (which with the little bit from lights probably isn't too bad but a whole tree...makes me wonder a litttle) is a little worrisome. Lead if it isn't flaking or in dust form isn't too bad if you wash your hands, but I don't know how much falls off of the tree, so that's my deliemma. I worked in the HR dept of a battery manufacturing plant while in college, and I know handwashing (especially under fingernails and definitely before eating or putting hands anywhere near the face) is the best precaution you can take, but that one article does mention the lead dust becoming airborne from vacuuming and that's not great :(

I'm okay with doing it for this year since the tree is already up, but I do want to get it tested. If it doesn't contain lead, easy enough :) If it does we'll have to re-evaluate what to do next year. We have a grocery co-op that does sell live pesticide-free trees, but I'm sure they are expensive. I'm not planning on tossing the tree yet, but I want more information ;)

ribbit1019
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
No, we will just be very careful and try to not let DD touch the tree too much. In addition, as Tarah said, no chewing of the tree or lights (!). :)

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

SweetTooth
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I think taking precautions and researching some more is what we'll do too. Not the best theory, but we grew up with artificial trees in my family & we all turned out okay, for the most part anyway :P