PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber furniture..does it really clean up w/a sponge?

jacksmomtobe
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
We're looking for some new furniture, prev we stuck to slipcovers but according to 2 salespeople microfiber cleans up with a sponge. Has anyone had experience with this type of furniture? We would like to be able to keep our furniture in decent shape but still want our house kid friendly and for the rooms to be livable and comfortable. I would appreciate any feedback.

THANKS!

Alys the Cat
12-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I've had a taupe microfiber sectional for about two years, and it cleans up beautifully. DS hasn't made a mess on it (yet!), but I've used a damp paper towel to wipe off cat barf many, many times. It still looks great. I would definitely buy microfiber again.

brittone2
12-07-2005, 03:15 PM
ITA. Ours is taupe microfiber too :) My dog (and we had two dogs the first 3 years we owned the sofa) has jumped on it with totally muddy feet and it has wiped right off many many times.

My sofa is now 4 years old and isn't cleaning up quite as easily as it used to, but it has been by far the easiest to clean upholstery we've ever owned. It does attract pet hair to it though (I guess it generates static which is why microfiber cleaning cloths work so well for dusting) but it hasn't been that bad.

I'd definitely buy it again too. I actually think there may be some other old threads on this in the archives if you want more info.

mskitty
12-08-2005, 12:20 AM
We have microfiber on our two Lazyboy recliners. We paid for the fabric protecter on both the recliners and our cloth sofa. Almost four years later, the recliners look practically brand new while the sofa is looking dingy despite having the fabric protecter.

Spills wipe right up.... but part of that is the fabric protecter. We spent the extra it because both of our families have Lazyboys that have lasted 20+ years and didn't want to be remembering a spill for that long.

MsKitty

AngelaS
12-08-2005, 07:28 AM
My best friend and mom of 5 has a microfiber couch and she LOVES it. She's scrubbed marker off hers!

jd11365
12-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Not part of your question, but do consider leather. It's FANTASTIC! We got ours from La-Z-Boy and it's one of our best purchases! There is no such issue as spills or stains...they don't exist.

zuzu
12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
We bought a microfiber couch earlier this year. (We would have gone with leather, but leather wouldn't have looked right in this particular room.) I've been impressed with how well it repels liquid and resists stains.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

lizamann
12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I want my whole house to be microfiber! Our counter stools with microfiber cushions are only 3 months old, but they wipe up so easily. DD eats on them daily, so gets yogurt, soup, peanut butter, etc. all over them. They look like crap after the meal, but wipe right up. I don't know how long that property will last, but for now it's wonderful!

kijip
12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
I have red micro fiber and it cleans terribly and I am gladly offing it onto my husband's new apartment...

jacksmomtobe
12-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I wasn't sure how valid the salespeoples' claims were esp since they didn't seem to have children themselves. We actually have a few areas to fill with furniture. We moved in our house just over a year ago and most of our furniture from our condo was majorly not child safe (dh's bachelor furniture...stone tables not secured, etc). We only picked up a few things to start and now we have knocked down a wall eliminating our dining room (where we actually did have furniture) so we are on the lookout for quite a few pieces. For one area we are looking for a sectional (I'm not a big sectional fan but for this particular space it really works and will give us the most seating) and the most appealing ones are microfiber. I'm a little bummed to read that it attracts pet hair as our BLACK lab has been shedding a ton since we moved into our house. I would definitely be into having some of the pieces be leather. I like the richness of the look.

Katie - sorry to hear your red microfiber was not all that was cracked up to be. At least it will be going to your husband's place and out of your sight. I read your other post and my heart goes out to you.

Thanks everyone!!