PDA

View Full Version : D.O.: anyone here is one, used one, experienced with one, etc?

knaidel
12-07-2005, 02:25 PM
We are switching from out current pediatrician to a family practice- which is huge. There are 10 attending physicians, and a bunch of residents, and I noticed that a few of the doctors have D.O. after their names instead of M.D.

I don't really know much about osteopathy, except that it's not the same thing as chiropractor! I am under the impression that a D.O. is a licensed medical doctor, but with training also in more alternative/natural medicine.

Can anyone tell me more?

DebbieJ
12-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Hmm...my friend's DH is a D.O. I'll have to ask her.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Sillygirl
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM
The DO designation is partly a historical relic. Osteopathic medicine was a separate school of thought about a hundred years ago, and they set up their own medical schools. Some differences persist - DOs tend to be better trained in anatomy than MDs, for example - but by and large the curricula and approach to diseases are similar. Many DOs are more open to alternative medicine, but not all.

If you're looking at attendings, board certification is more important, in my opinion, than MD or DO. There isn't a great way to tell among different residents, but they are supervised by attendings, so finding one you like is more important. They won't be there long, though - a peds residency is 3-4 years.

Last thing, and I say this truly not trying to flame any DOs out there - but DO schools are a little easier to get into than MD schools. So not everyone who's a DO got that particular degree because of a love of the osteopathic philosophy or commitment to alternative medicine. Some went because they couldn't get into an MD-granting school. I still know many DOs who are fine docs, though.

Bottom line, look for board certification and a personality you like, and don't stress the trailing letters.

brittone2
12-07-2005, 03:03 PM
From what I remember learning in school (I'm a physical therapist), MDs and DOs both do basically the same medical school, but their boards are different. If you want to have the option of doing osteopathy, you have to take the osteopathic boards. That means you can still do rotations in allopathic medicine (which is what most MDs are), but you have the option of also doing osteopathy. If a young doc takes their allopathic boards, they can't do osteopathy. (I hope one of the docs here will clarify this but this is what I remember I think..)

Osteopaths do tend to have a more holistic slant and they learn how to do osteopathic adjustments (somewhat like a chiropractor). In practice though, there are DOs that continue to use those skills and practice that way, and then there are DOs that pretty much practice just like any other MD and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (they don't do adjustments very often, they don't treat all that holistically). Similarly you may find MDs that are somewhat or quite holistic despite being an MD rather than a DO.

DOs IMO are every bit as qualified as a medical doctor as an MD. Nothing to worry about and there's a good chance that you wouldn't even know the difference unless you looked at the letters after their name.

here's a quick explanation from a google search:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/doctor/osteopath.html

pittsburghgirl
12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Rachel,
My DH and I go to a practice headed by two brothers who are both D.O.'s. We have been very happy with their approach to our care (admittedly we are pretty healthy so we just see them for basics.) I was a little skeptical when I first switched but DH already went there, and his mom (a nurse) knew the dr's from the hospital and was always very impressed with their patient care. I had always gone to MDs but I feel that we get more attention with our current providers, and they actually know us even though we aren't there much.

We do still have a separate ped for my DS, but if I had not found a practice I was comfortable with I would definitely consider taking DS to these drs... they are very patient focused.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png