PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE should I send him to school tomorrow?? WWYD?

jamsmu
12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Sorry, this is pretty tmi... DS had diarhea tonight. Throughout the day, he had a lot of poop, but it was basically mushier than normal. Around dinner time, he had the big D in his diaper, then had a tiny bit on the potty tonight (I know, I'm so proud!) and a little more in his diaper about 5 mins later (maybe the same poop?)

So, he has school tomorrow. I don't know if I should send him? He's not the most regular kid... usually has a series of a lot of poops (often mushy) then a day or two with nothing. So this could be it for a few days. Or he could have a virus?

Any advice?

*** UPDATE ***

So, I talked to my mom early this morning. Carson was fine all night, and this morning pooped a mushy poop that was dark. (Not D.) Mom and I went through everything he ate yesterday, and, it turns out that he had tried something new: Calcium Fortified OJ. Well, when I tried this (only once) I was pg with Carson and I felt awful that whole night. And my mom went on Calcium pills about 2 years ago and was sick the whole time. Carson had about 4 or 5 cups of the juice yesterday.

Anyway, I called his teacher and explained the situation. She asked if he did poop, would it be messy to clean? I told her it wasn't this a.m., but I can't guarantee that. I agreed to stay local and keep my cell on. Anyway, he went to school and after both she and the other director (she's a director of the PS) told me he was fine and there were no problems AT ALL. Of course, of all days, snack was supposed to be applesauce, so they changed the snack to pretzels for today. He's been fine ever since!!

mudder17
12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
If this is part of a normal cycle, and he's otherwise acting normal, then it could be just nothing. But if it is slightly more diarrhea-like than usual, then I would probably keep him home to observe. One thing about diarrhea (if that's the only symptom) is that (and I'm not positive about this, but I think it's true) that they can only transfer a virus through contact with the diarrhea. So daycare workers who change his diapers would have to be extra careful (I would hope they would be anyway!) about washing their hands and not getting any poop anywhere after changing him. And they would have to prevent him from getting any of the poop on himself where he could transfer the virus to anyone else.

Kaya went through something like this a couple weeks ago and we did keep her home from church because we didn't want her to potentially transfer the virus to the twins at church.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

octmom
12-08-2005, 06:27 AM
If you really think any of it was the big D, it may be best to keep him home so he doesn't pass it along. The rule at our daycare is 24 hours without fever or D. Of course, lots of parents break the rules all the time, but they run the risk of their child being sent home early and not being able to go to school the next day. Not sure if that is how things work at your DS's school or if he goes every day.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

icunurse
12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
We send DS to a MDO program and their policy is no fever or diahhea for 24 hours. So, if his poops are questionable, I'd keep him home. I know it's frustrating sometimes to not be able to send your child to school or a class when *you* think he's fine, but I always try to keep in mind how I would feel if I found out someone else had sent their child to the class with the same symptoms.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!