PDA

View Full Version : What would the weather be like in S. FL in Dec-Jan (x-post RL)?

kozachka
12-08-2005, 06:17 AM
We are visiting MIL in Hollandale, FL (30 mins north of Miami on the coast) during Dec. 24-Jan 8 and I am wondering what's the weather like typically during this time of the year. Gotta plan what to bring for all of us in terms of clothing, shoes etc.

karolyp
12-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Florida weather this time of year can be very tricky as it can either get really cold or stay really warm. Furthermore, because this state is so darn long, it can be freezing up in pensacola, mild in Orlando (where I'm at), but warm down in Miami as many cold fronts seem to stall out before getting all the way down there. So, my suggestion is to pack for weather in the 70's, but bring stuff you can layer too (and check with your MIL too just before you leave).

HTH and enjoy your trip!!!

ed for spelling

mudder17
12-08-2005, 08:15 AM
So any idea if we'll be doing any swimming in an outdoor heated pool around Christmas in Dunedin (very close to Tampa)? :D

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

karolyp
12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
That's a good question. I'm sure the water would feel good, but it's just the getting in and out part that would give me the shivers!! It also depends on what your tolerance of cold weather is too. I get cold very easy (but I am a FL native so go figure), but what's cold to me probably would feel good to someone who's from your area!!

I would suggest packing a swimsuit JIC bc there might be a chance!!

heather_c
12-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Elena,

My ILs live in Sunny Isles Beach, just south of Hollandale. We visited them for Christmas 2003 and will be there again this Christmas. In 2003, one day it was warm enough to lay out at the beach, but too cold to swim. Another day, we needed light sweaters to keep us warm when we were outside. One issue in S. Florida is the winter wind blowing in from the ocean. If it is windy, it can feel much colder than it is.

Like the PP recommended, I will be bringing clothes for 70s, but will also bring a light jacket just in case. You may be able to wear lighter clothes during the day, but the evenings can be cool. I hope this help.

Heather

Matthew - 9/7/05

http://b1.lilypie.com/3UZGm6/.png

NatalieM
12-08-2005, 10:09 AM
I was raised in Pembroke Pines which is not too far from where you're going in Hallandale. From what my family tells my its been a bit chilly in the morning and warms up during the day. I'm sure it will be about the same when you are visiting. However, it can be beautiful one day and rainy the next down there. So I'd definitely plan to do layers. Shorts will be fine, but I'd also bring a jeans,sweater and jacket (and umbrella :-) ) I remember on Christmas Day a few years ago we were all sitting at the dinner table sweating b/c the air conditioner broke and it was 86 degrees and HUMID. Have fun in Florida. Whenever DH and I visit family we always hit the Aventura Mall!

Mommy_Again
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
It's been really warm so far this winter. Usually we'd have cool weather by now (in the 60s), but we are still in the high 70s, low-mid 80s. That said, who knows what will happen between now and when you get here. You won't need a winter coat, but maybe a few light sweaters or cotton jackets to be safe. You definiately will not be able to swim in the ocean- way too cold, but heated pools will be great.

Ari
12-29-2005, 06:34 AM
It's a great time of year to go to Fla, it's beauitful, My Mom used to live there, we would go every Dec.

hautemama15
12-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Kudos for Aventura Mall! Thats my favorite mall here. Hallandale is very close to North Miami. Pretty much everywhere near the coast is going to be warmer. We have had days of waking up with 55 degree temps and by 2PM its 75. In January/February it does tend to get a little cooler though. I would say just pack everything! Jeans, shorts, a couple of lightweight sweaters or long sleeved shirts and a jacket. Nothing real heavy though. Bring a swimsuit just in case it is nice enough one day. And, make sure you have an umbrella. It rains for no reason all the time! Have fun!