PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts mamas, tell me about your town

Rachels
12-08-2005, 08:04 AM
We're kicking around the idea of moving. We need to be in commuter reach of Boston (waah-- I'm more of a Northampton kind of girl). I do want to get farther from the city, though, and I'd like to be in a place with a neighborhood feel. After seven years in my current house, I still don't even know the names of most of my neighbors, and that is NOT what I want. I'd also like to not have to get on the highway every time I need to run an errand, so a more or less self-sufficient town would be ideal. Any recommendations?

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

kfcboston
12-08-2005, 08:43 AM
As you know, there are tons of Mass. folks on the boards here, so I hope you get a lot of feedback! I rented for a year or two near the library on Spear Ave., so I understand where you're coming from. Unforuntately, it's tough to find much Northampton inside the 128 belt! Maybe Watertown? Arlington? I can think of a lot of nice suburban areas that are certainly expensive, but not with much unique-ness. I grew up down in SE Mass. along the 95 corridor, which is definitely suburbia, if that's what you're looking for. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more details.

Good luck!!

sidmand
12-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I always wanted to live in Northampton! But DH and I couldn't find jobs for the life of us out there (went to college at Mount Holyoke and WNEC and tried to stay--all of DH's family is in Western MA).

I live in Franklin and it meets some of those requirements, I'd say. We also have two commuter rail stops in Franklin (much of the reason we moved here although since we moved here neither of us commutes to Boston anymore!).

I also like that it's really close to Providence. It's so much easier to get to TF Green airport. We're about equidistant between Providence, Boston, and Worcester.

A few other towns that may meet some of what you're looking for (except really the college/Northampton atmosphere--couldn't find that for a price we could afford out here): Bellingham, Foxboro/Mansfield, Sharon/Walpole, Sutton?

Good luck!

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

aliceinwonderland
12-08-2005, 09:23 AM
When I worked in Cambridge a girl commuted from Marblehead each day. But it's expensive there...

heatherlynn
12-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm in Shrewsbury. You can catch the train to Boston from Worcester, Westboro, Grafton. I don't know what Northampton is like, but Shrewsbury is very suburban-like. Four (!) grocery stores w/in a minutes, Michaels, Panera, new coffee shop, and a gazillion other places to shop.

I've been here for a little over 2 years now (originally from California), but I've met the nicest people here. I have so many friends here, that I will be so sad when we go back. DH and I had to pick up my van from the repair shop and couldn't take the kids, and I had offers galore from my neighbors to watch them for us. And I felt totally comfortable leaving them!

Some towns you might consider in this area besides Shrewsbury would be Westboro, Grafton, Southboro, Northboro (all have excellent schools, I believe).

Anyway, I am definately no expert on Massachusetts by any means, but I love our little neck of the woods. Good luck and keep us posted!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

JFC
12-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Rachel - I'm not in Mass. anymore, but spent HS, college (in Amherst), and 8 years after around Boston, so I'll try to give you a bit of help. If Northampton is your thing, you might enjoy parts of Brookline, Cambridge, Watertown, etc. We spent a few years in Winchester (just N. of Cambridge - not too much like NoHamp., but they have the commuter train and a very cute downtown, nice parks, etc. - it is expensive, but we had a great, great apartment (on Lewis Dr. - it is all one building - right off Church Street). I also went to HS on the "South Shore" area - in a town called Sharon (a PP mentioned as well). It is a very nice town, EXCELLENT public schools and again, train to Boston. Canton, Stoughton, Foxboro are all surrounding towns and very nice as well. I used to work in Wellesley, Ma., which also has a nice downtown, schools, parks, train, etc. If I had my way, we would have lived in Newton - very cute town - again, it is expensive, as are a lot of choice places around Boston. HTH!

Raidra
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
We live in Beverly (North of Boston) and love the area. Our neighborhood is very friendly, and there are a ton of great kids places. Boston is about a half hour on the highway, and 40 minutes by commuter rail (we have 4 stops in Beverly).

In Beverly, we have lots of restaurants, several grocery stores, a few kid's clothing stores (Rugged Bear) and toy stores (Learning Express), and whatnot. The malls are a short jaunt down the highway, but you can get to them fairly quickly on the backroads. All of the touristy, antique-y places in Essex, Ipswich, and Gloucester are just a short drive north. We have lots of farm stands and hiking trails on the North Shore. Beverly has a ton of great parks, too.

Housing costs are pretty expensive around here, but well worth it. We have fantastic schools in Beverly, beautiful beaches, and a fun downtown area.

We have a great playgroup, too, that you'd be more than welcome to join. ;)

Good luck!

aguinn
12-10-2005, 03:08 PM
rachel described it well: a second vote for beverly! and we don't have cape traffic!

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

jesseandgrace
12-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I would say Belmont sounds like a good fit, not as "cool" as Northampton, but similar in some ways, on a much smaller scale. Nice town with good stores to shop in, right near Whole Foods, commuter rail to North Station takes 17 minutes, but Alewife station on the red line is right there too, so even more convenient. You are so close to Cambridge and all it has to offer that it is almost like being in Cambridge with better schools. There is a great library, ice skating rink, and town pool, so a great place for kids. There is a bird sanctuary and also some very large parks where you really get to feel nature, but still be right near the city. I think it has a somewhat small town feel even though it is right near the city.

HannaAddict
12-11-2005, 12:14 AM
I love Marblehead! I would love to live there. Sorry that isn't very helpful. :)

Kimberly