PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dental advice needed for me.....any dentists?!

steph2003
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I don't post much anymore due to time & an active toddler but I don't know where else to ask this LOL!

Over two weeks ago I had a cavity "redone" on my bottom left first molar because I was told by my dentist the silver one was cracked - which made sense to me as what silver fillings I have are old/from my childhood. I wasn't in pain or anything but she said it needed to be done so I said do it!

Two weeks later that side is still extremely sensitive & tender - not necessarily to hot/cold but it hurts when I bite down on that side like there is a raw nerve or something?

I go back in & she does what is called a sedative filling to see if that will help with the pain. She said if that doesn't work it looks like I will need a root canal. I have to go back in January. So far it has helped a little but I still don't feel 100% normal on that side & am afraid to bite down hard. I'm so afraid at this point I'll need a root canal. Does this sound right? How can I go from just need a filling redone to a root canal?

I'm terribly afraid of having a root canal done not to mention it isn't covered completely by our insurance :( at this point I feel like I'm paying my dentist's mortgage!

DebbieJ
12-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Yes, you can go from having the filling redone to needing a root canal. If the metal filling was cracked, that means food particles and bacteria were able to go down into your tooth and attack the nerve. That means root canal. Oh joy.

I recently had a root canal on a tooth that had a crown. I guess there is no protection against it. Oh well.

Now I have to wait until March for a new crown because of my stupid insurance.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

smilequeen
12-08-2005, 10:58 AM
A cracked filling can definitely stress a tooth and replacing it *can* push it over the edge. I would stress that when this happens it is just speeding up the inevitable...if you hadn't replaced the filling it would have happened eventually.

That doesn't mean this is what happened to you, I really can't say that as you aren't my patient :) Did they check your bite before removing the old filling? How long ago did they place the sedative filling? Sometimes when there has been a reversible stress on the tooth it's a bit like a bruise, it can take a few days or so to be back to 100%. If it is getting better daily, that IS a good sign.

A Root canal is really NOT a big deal. People tell horror stories, but to be honest, it is very much like getting a filling. It just takes longer. (and of course, as you know, it costs more). Most people that tell horror stories had root canals when they were already in a lot of pain. Acute infections like that can make anesthetic work less effectively. We usually catch the infection before it gets that bad OR we use antibiotics to improve the situation first.

Hope that helps a little (from the sahm dentist :))

jec2
12-08-2005, 12:29 PM
steph, for the past 3 months I have been in out of the dentist getting almost ALL of my silver filling removed and replaced. In the process I have had two crowns (one still underway). Anyhoo, the first crown I had was from a tooth that I ignored treatment with last year so the decay was worse, cracked and chipped toothe etc. I was so so so scared I'd need a root canal but got away with a crown. Anyhoo, I had the same issues with ZINGS of pain just like you describe. It was driving me bonkers so I called the dentist asst. and also talked with the dentist on my next visit and during both converstations they assured me the zingers would diminish and go away over time. He explained that with all the work they had to do on the tooth, some of the nerves swelled up and can become sensitive (like when you hit your thumb with a hammer) but overtime the swelling and resulting sensitivity would be gone. It has. I suspect if you give it a little more time yours should go away too and I hope it does since a root canal would be a big bummer :(

steph2003
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I think they checked my bite before removing the old filling - I
can't remember now! agh!!!

The sedative filling was done Monday. She said I could use Advil/Tylenol for any pain but I haven't found that necessary. The only pain I feel is like the "zingers" Juliet described below...when I bite down on that side into something hard. My dentist did say the sedative filling would not be an overnight fix. So maybe I just need to be patient & let the nerves "calm" down some before I really start to freak out! It is better than what is was before the sedative filling.

I'll take your word that the root canal isn't that bad - hopefully I won't find out first hand :) Lately I feel like my teeth are falling apart!

o_mom
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
If you do need a root canal, I highly recommend getting a second opinion first and if possible, go to an endodontist. They are a much more specialized dentist and do that procedure more often. I had a friend who has had three root canals on the same tooth because the dentist she had screwed up a filling replacement and the subsequent root canal.