PDA

View Full Version : OK, Frequent Flyers, I have another question...

wdland45
12-08-2005, 10:02 AM
I am a worst case scenario kinda gal. Please forgive these stupid questions - I just need so reassurances...

So, we are scheduled to fly on Saturday. Weatherman is predicting a snow storm here dropping 3-6" tomorrow (Friday). If Friday's flights are cancelled, what happens to all those people who were supposed to travel on Friday? I am just concerned that we will get bumped off of our Saturday flight to make room for Friday passengers. Does that happen? What does happen to all those people whose flights are cancelled? My flight is already full.
UGH! I hate relying on others to control when and where I go someplace - so much easier to drive (just takes too long)! TIA.

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

bensmom
12-08-2005, 10:14 AM
IME, if you have a confirmed ticket on Saturday, they generally will not bump you off the flight for Friday passengers. They will try to fit the Friday passengers on other flights. Even with oversold flights, they generally don't bumped confirmed passengers until they ask for volunteers to bump.

I would definitely plan to arrive at the airport on the early side though to get your boarding passes (or print these at home before you leave) and to deal with potential crowds. Holiday times are often crowded, and bad weather just makes it worse.

Have a great trip!

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

bostonsmama
12-08-2005, 10:20 AM
You can call your airline to be sure, but for the most part, the airline system will look for spots that are already open in other flights-even first class, then they'll ask for volunteers to give up a spot for some sort of attractive financial compensation, then when that's exhausted, they will bump the smallest amount of people AND offer them financial compensation like a travel voucher, food vouchers, phone vouchers and/or first class status on the next flight. It's a crapshoot as to whether it'll happen to you & your family, but in my mind there isn't much you can do to prevent it. As long as you have a confirmed, paid ticket, you check in early (maybe at home and print your boarding passes at home), you're halfway there.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -
James Baldwin

Momof3Labs
12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
As long as you check in plenty early, they will not take your seats away to deal with Friday passengers. The bumped passengers have to be fit into seats that are open, not seats already taken by other ticketed passengers!