PDA

View Full Version : Ear Infection Question

Pennylane
12-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi ,

Just came home from the doctor and my daughter has a double ear infection, Yuck! She is miserable :(

My question is, How long will it take before she starts to feel better? The doctor put her on Amoxicillian (sp)for 10 days. We have big plans this weekend and I was wondering if she will be up to it by then.

Thanks,

Ann

trumansmom
12-08-2005, 02:09 PM
She will probably start to feel somewhat better by tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about changing your plans, but would make sure to take Tylenol with you just in case.

Doesn't it make you feel so helpless when they don't feel well? :(

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

icunurse
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
DS just had an outer ear infection and the ped put him on ear drops for a week. He never really seemed bothered by it, but I had been giving Motrin for a fever anyway. The first night I didn't give the Motrin (send day of the ear drops) he woke up during the night crying twice. Maybe coincidence, but I gave him Motrin for the next two nights and he slept fine.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

cmo
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
We have always noticed a big improvement within the first 24 hours (after 1 or 2 doses of antibiotics). Like the PPs have suggested, do keep the motrin or tylenol handy, though! Your weekend plans are probably safe. :-)

lilycat88
12-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Ditto what the others said. 24ish hours or so. Don't be stingy with the Tylenol or Motrin, though. We're ear infection veterans at our house with 15 or 16 doctor visits with diagnosed ear infections under our belt. If she seems to be in quite a bit of pain, you can also ask about getting numbing drops for the ears. Some other moms haven't had good luck with them but they seemed to help Susanna quite a bit. Especially when she had both ears involved. It's worth a try in my opinion.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

Pennylane
12-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Is it o.k to use Motrin or Tylenol in addition to the Amoxicillian? They doctor didn't mention that to me.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid all our plans were going to fall by the wayside!

Ann

lilycat88
12-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Absolutely fine. Motrin if your DD is over 6 months (according to my ped, although there are differing opinions) and Tylenol if not over 6 months. Just follow the guidelines for weight. Don't worry about the age guidelines on the bottle. Motrin will last longer and I usually give that at night.

Tylenol Dosing Chart

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp

Motrin Dosing Chart

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

HannaAddict
12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
The Infant Tylenol or Motrin (our ped prefers Infant Tylenol even over six months) is for pain relief while the amoxicillian fights off the infection. If your ped hasn't told you what dose to use with your child, I would call them and check. My ped actually told me to give my son Infant Tylenol (in addition to the antibiotic/amoxicillian) even though my stoic little guy wasn't complaining since he could tell the ear probably hurt quite a bit by how inflamed/infected it was. Our ped also prefers that you come back to the doctor for a quick looksie right after finishing the antibiotics (or sooner if your child still feels crummy) to make sure the amoxicillian worked. Amoxicillian is a first line antibiotic but our ped said he's seeing more and more infections that are resistant to it so sometimes he has to change to a different antibiotic. Our baby medical info books also advise having the ears checked to after the antibiotics are finished. We just got over the first ear infection and the amoxicillian worked, but he says it is really becoming a problem so he wants a chance to check. HTH.

Kimberly