PDA

View Full Version : Rash after shots?

barbarhow
12-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Anna got her 6m shots yesterday. Little fever this am and has a rash. I am not sure if it is due to the vaccs or the antibiotics. She is on day 9 of Amox. Any thoughts?
Little red bumps not raised. Allover.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

JBaxter
12-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Call the ped but sounds like an amox reaction to me. Thats what Nathans looked like. ( he has been on antibiotics twice and is allergic to both amoxicillin and augmentin Im almost afraid of whats next :( )

phirey
12-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Sorry f this was posted before, but what's she on the amox for? Any chance it could actually be a viral infection and this is a post-viral rash? Also a possibility. Rally all three are a possibility and you may never know! :-(

dowlinal
12-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Barbara,

That is exactly what happened the one time Madeline had amoxicillian. We were going to whole foods and when I went to get her out of her car seat she was just covered in bumps. I called my ped in a panic since she had been on the antibiotic for 9 days already and was told that sometimes it takes time before an allergic reaction to an antibiotic becomes apparent. This was in summer time and the ped also said that the warm car probably contributed to the severity of the reaction. I thinking that if you have Anna bundled up then that could have the same effect.

A

barbarhow
12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
It looks like a drug rash to me but it's been a while since I worked ER-and it always feels different when it's your own kid with the rash. YKWIM? And I have multiple antibiotic allergies-so probably whe is inheriting my sensitivities.

barbarhow
12-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Ear infection. The first go around we did not treat but 3 weeks later when it was still red or red again the doctor thought it best to treat. I don't think it's a post viral rash-but one never knows.

barbarhow
12-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Ear infection. The first go around we did not treat but 3 weeks later when it was still red or red again the doctor thought it best to treat. I don't think it's a post viral rash-but one never knows.

barbarhow
12-09-2005, 10:44 AM
She wasn't really bundled but she does get warm in her jammies at night. DH had her at home this am and just told me it looks much better. I think it is probably from the amox. Thanks.

barbarhow
12-09-2005, 10:44 AM
She wasn't really bundled but she does get warm in her jammies at night. DH had her at home this am and just told me it looks much better. I think it is probably from the amox. Thanks.

marcywench
12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Barbara...this happened right before I took the peanut for her shots today. Doc said either a) viral rash or b) reaction to the red dye in the tylenol suspension I gave her for her shots today.

Of course, you have the amoxicillin in there, too... A couple of possibilities. Hope your wee one's better.

HannaAddict
12-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Barbara,
As others have said, it sounds like a reaction to the antibiotic, especially with the timing. My son just had his first ear infection and I asked what to look for if he was allergic to Amox. and our ped said it would probably take until day 8 or 9 to show up and just be a rash. Hope Anna is feeling better! (We love our ped too, FWIW.)

Kimberly

AngelaS
12-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Meredith got a rash after her first time on amoxicillan at about 7 months. She was on it 5 days, then off it for two and then broke out. Here's a pic. This was the first day--they got worse and they weren't raised either.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31101.jpg

eta the right name of my child. doh!

barbarhow
12-10-2005, 06:35 AM
That's exactly what it looks like. It got worse as the day went on yesterday. She doesn't seem particularly bothered by it but it sure looks awful. I called our FP last night and he agreed that it was most likely from the amox. Poor baby.

barbarhow
12-10-2005, 06:37 AM
I haven't given Benadryl because it doesn't seem to bother her any but it just looks so awful. TIA

JBaxter
12-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Hope Anna is doing better. It took Nathan a while for it to clear up. We also have multiple med allergies in our family ( not me personally but everyone else).

chlobo
12-10-2005, 08:46 AM
my dd had a rash like that that came on after neither shots nor antibiotics. Never really figured out what it was so most likely viral.

AngelaS
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Consider yourself extremely blessed that it's not bothering her! Miss M was a BEAR and wouldn't eat and wouldn't sleep and had diarrhea and every other symptom that can go along with the allergy.