PDA

View Full Version : OT: Prepaid Cell phones, Vonage, suggestions, etc.

mudder17
12-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Okay, so our 2 year contract is finally up on our landlines/cellphones/long distance and we're free to explore other options.

First, we rarely use our cellphones, except if I need to pick DH up and one of us is running late. So we really only need something that is prepaid (so only pay if we use it). In addition, it would be nice (but not necessary, I don't think) if the prepaid cell phones were not limited to just local calls, so that if DH and I travel, we could use it in the event of an emergency (i.e. when we visited my parents and they were really late picking us up).

For long distance--well, even though our Call America contract covered long distance, we almost never used it because I have an MCI phone card that gives us 2.1 cents a minute or something like that. But on the other hand, it would be nice to not have to dial all those numbers all the time.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, we use Comcast for cable and computer access.

So...suggestions? I'm mostly looking to cut costs so that we're not paying unneccessarily for things we don't use (like we pay $20 for two cells phones plus any air time use, so if we don't use it, we still pay the $20 and charges for long distance even though we rarely use it).

Any suggestions for good prepaid cell phones? Comments about Vonage or similar things? Any other recs? Oh, and I know there was a thread a year or so ago about Vonage, but I don't know if things have changed since then.

TIA!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

jbowman
12-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Eileen,

DH uses a Virgin mobile prepaid cell phone. We buy $20 cards for the phone here and there.

It has saved us a ton of money and has really worked for us! DH uses his phone infrequently (just to touch bases with me when he's driving home, etc.), and when we're together we use my cell phone (more traditional plan w/ a lot of minutes). HTH!

annex
12-09-2005, 10:47 AM
There was a recent thread on prepaid cells:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=275631

You might also want to check the newest (January) issue of Consumer Reports, it covers cell phones, Internet phoning, etc.

Anne

annex
12-09-2005, 10:47 AM
There was a recent thread on prepaid cells:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=275631

You might also want to check the newest (January) issue of Consumer Reports, it covers cell phones, Internet phoning, etc.

Anne

JustMe
12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I have the t-mobile pay-as-you-go plan, as I also rarely use my cell phone. I did have to pay for the phone, only about $30, and then it only costs about $8/mo, unless I wanted to use more minutes. Sorry, I forget the exact details of how this all works, but you can find them on the t-mobile website.

Robyn

JustMe
12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I have the t-mobile pay-as-you-go plan, as I also rarely use my cell phone. I did have to pay for the phone, only about $30, and then it only costs about $8/mo, unless I wanted to use more minutes. Sorry, I forget the exact details of how this all works, but you can find them on the t-mobile website.

Robyn

JTsMom
12-09-2005, 11:05 AM
We have Vonage and really like it. $25 covers everything including call waiting, etc. and long distance. The only 2 negatives are if the cable is out, so is the phone (which was the case when we got hit by Hurricane Wilma, but that's the only time it has been an issue- we just used our cells) and if you dial 911 and can't speak, they can't trace the call.

brittone2
12-09-2005, 11:12 AM
We've been happy with Vonage too. 2-3 x I've had it happen where I was talking and the person couldn't hear me (partway through the conversation) but I could hear them, but if I hung up and called them back, it was fine. A minor blip considering all of the calls we make. As the PP said, if your cable is out the phone is out, but with cells as a backup I'm okay with that and it has only happened 1x for a few hours and maybe 2 other times for a few minutes.

We do have 911 in this area but I know a lot of areas still don't have it. Vonage was supposed to roll it out by now and they are actually not allowed to accept new customers (I think I just read this online somewhere recently) in markets where there isn't 911 yet as a penalty for not having it out yet.

Overall it has worked great for us though and I can't complain at all for the price. I love that you also get caller ID, call waiting, etc. for that price. :) I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

mudder17
12-09-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.stimobile.com/lg5225-promo.aspx

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

nitaghei
12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I have Virgin mobile and DH has T-mobile. Our use is pretty much like yours, and this was the cheapest way. DH looked around for deals, and basically got a phone and 200 minutes for about $5 after rebates. The minutes are good for a year, I think. My deal isn't quite that good, but I have an automatic top-up of $15 every 90 days, which works out pretty well for my use pattern. I do think I get more coverage with the Virgin mobile than DH gets with the T-mobile. FWIW.

There might be a referral program with Virgin mobile. If there is, contact me!!

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

ErinMC
12-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Eileen,

I can't help you with the prepaid cell phones, but we have Von,age and love it. Like you, we rarely use long distance, so we actually went with the 500-minute plan (includes local and long-distance outgoing calls) for $14.95, and in 6 months we've never gone over minutes. With taxes, I think it comes to $16.95 a month.

Like the PP's said, on rare occasions the person on the other line had trouble hearing me, but if I hung up and called right back, it was fine. And yes, if we lose power we would lose our phones. But we do have cell phones as a back up, and I have it set up on Vonage so that incoming calls are routed to my cell phone automatically if the home phone is down (ie if power is out).

Good luck!
Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 2004
... and another coming in June :-)

mcdonald29
12-09-2005, 04:28 PM
DH has a Tracfone, and same as many PP's, uses it minimally. Coverage and long distance have been fine, and he can text message (which uses less units). IMO another bonus is that you can purchase additional minutes through Ebates.

KrisM
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
I have Tracfone and like it. Before that I had AT&T prepaid. Some of what is important to me:

1. Refills that are good for a year. Remembering to renew isn't horrible, but after years, it does get old :). Tracfone is $90 for a year.

2. My phone tells me when my minutes expire and how many I have.

3. Ability to roam. I don't travel much, but want to be sure I can use it if I need it.

4. A decent phone for a decent price. I looked at a lot of phone reviews on Amazon. For Virgin Mobile, the good phones cost a lot more than I wanted to pay. I ended up with a Motorola for $9.99 at Radio Shack.

Tracfone fit the bill for me. I've been happy with it so far. With coupons included with the phone and a referral bonus from my mom, I ended up with 350 minutes for $90 for a year. Not bad. I won't use 30 minutes a month.

JElaineB
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I also have Tracfone and recommend it. I have had it for three years. You can roam anywhere, they just charge 2 minutes instead of 1 outside of your home area. If you don't mind Walmart I think you can get a one year card there with 150 minutes for about $85, so cheaper than even at tracfone.com. I love that I don't have to remember to renew for a year, though the phone tells you when your renewal date is every time you turn it on. Plus anyone who already has a tracfone can send you a referral email and you can get 100 free minutes (they would get 100 free minutes as well). I would be happy to do that for you or I am sure one of the other tracfone users would be happy to as well. Also, (I actually just bought a new phone last night to upgrade my three year old phone) if you buy a new phone at a retail store (not sure about tracfone.com) there should be coupons in there for extra minutes whenever you redeem more airtime minutes. So the minutes aren't really that expensive either, I have never redeemed minutes without getting extra minutes from a promo code.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jerseygirl07067
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
I have T-Mobile prepaid. The phone was $30 bucks. The more minutes you purchase at at time, the cheaper they are and the longer you have to use them. For $100, you get 1000 minutes that are good for a full year. Works out to a bit over $8 a month. It is by far the cheapest prepaid plan, IMO. You could just purchase $20 minutes of time, but then it's more expensive per minute, so I just purchased the 1000 minutes. That way I can still make a few social calls if I want.

Marcy