PDA

View Full Version : To those of you whose DC love olives...

June Mommy
12-09-2005, 03:08 PM
After seeing the 'weird food' thread and noting how many of you say your DC loves olives, I bought a can of black olives and let DS try them. Sure enough, he loves them! But, how many is too many? I know they have a lot of sodium, so I don't want him to eat the whole can (I think he would if I let him!) I've been giving him 5 at a time (in quarters.)

As a side note, he seems to do this with a lot of foods. Luckily, they are all decent things, (tomatoes, Veggie Booty, Gerber freeze-dried apples, etc.) but I still wonder how much is too much, when he seems to want to gorge himself!

brittone2
12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I try to limit DS too. The salt as you said isn't the greatest and there's something else (can't remember what now) in olives that isn't too hot in huge amounts either. My DS is not a big eater at all though so it is nice to see him excited about eating anything, and the fat in olives is a nice bonus.

I'd think 5 is perfectly fine though :) I don't know if there's an official cap on olive consumption ;) but that sounds like about what we do. I'm curious what the other mamas of olive-eaters will recommend :)

murpheyblue
12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Megan adores black olives. Since she's not a big eater I'm thrilled when she's into anything food related particularly something with some healthy fat. She doesn't eat them every day and I can't really tell you how many she eats in a sitting but it's probably in the 5-7 range.

Oregonmother
12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
DS eats tons of olives too. I always rinse the can several times before I give them to him. I figure this cuts down on the sodium a little.

slknight
12-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I didn't read the weird food thread, but DS loves olives too! I buy the pre-sliced black ones in a can and don't really limit him, although he doesn't eat them every day. I originally thought they had a lot of sodium, but I think that they don't. I think only certain ones do - maybe it's how they're packed? I'm not home right now to check the can.

Just be prepared for ahem, how they may come out on the other end.

amp
12-09-2005, 11:02 PM
I didn't read that thread either, but Jake loves them too.

We don't give them to him everyday, and he usually eats only a reasonable amount, so I don't worry about it too much.

jamsmu
12-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I buy the sliced black olives and put them in pastas and on pizzas. He loves the taste and he's not getting too much.

I missed the thread, too. Would love to see that!