PDA

View Full Version : ACK! Need help! Recipe disaster!

crayonblue
12-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh how I hope someone knows a good fix! I made lettuce wraps for Lauren's birthday party tomorrow (to go along with a bunch of other stuff). The sauce I used is WAY too salty. The chicken mixture tastes like pure salt! What can I do? I will put the chicken mixture (minced chicken, garlic, ginger and teriyaki sauce) on lettuce topped with carrots and cucumber. Would adding some plain yogurt cut through the salt? I don't have more chicken to add.

Mamma2004
12-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I have read that vinegar or bread can drastically reduce the salty flavor in a dish. I'm sorry that I don't have any first-hand experience but I would hope that the fresh carrots and cucumber would help, too, especially with their water content.

Good luck to you!

Stephanie

psophia17
12-09-2005, 11:16 PM
What kind of quanity are you looking at? Can you drain out some of the sauce, and add something sweet to cut the salt? Adding starch can work too - I grate a potato into soups and stews that are too salty, but that wouldn't work with lettuce wraps. How about grating carrot right into the chicken mix? That's sweet and starch, and might help cut the salt...

Can you do a trial run with the carrot and cucumber, to see if the whole wrap put together can handle that amount of salt?

crayonblue
12-09-2005, 11:21 PM
A small quantity. 1 lb. of chicken. I drained all of the sauce. I might add a touch of sugar tomorrow and see what happens. I might try grating carrot right into the chicken first. DH is asleep or I would ask him to taste and see what he thinks. I'll do a trial run tomorrow. I just hate to mess this up as my neighbors are coming and the last meal I served them was way too salty also!

psophia17
12-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I hate messing up with too much salt, too. Drives me batty, and I only do it when we have company. I get all food-networky and start throwing around kosher salt like it's going out of style.