PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks? What kind of music does your DC listen to?

chiqanita
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
One of my twins loves to fall asleep to the Dixie Chicks.
I tried to change the CD to something else and for two days DSb fussed and cried whenever I put him down to sleep. DSa didn't seem to care one way or the other but the crying helped him go to sleep sooner...go figure.

Prior to this CD they listened to the Everly Brothers and Norah Jones from birth to ~14 months.

What kind of music does your DC like to listen to?

kath68
12-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Charlie is a purely disco and funk kind of guy. But that is when he is in a dancing mood. He loooooves anything with a good baseline, and if there is harmony involved, even better.

The other day we watched a tenor singing opera (live -- it was a Christmas thing in S.F.). Charlie's mouth was open in awe and he was transfixed. He even tried to hit some of the notes -- he wanted to sing along, but alas, he doesn't know Italian. :o

deborah_r
12-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Kai likes all kinds of music. We always have an assortment of 6 CDs in our car. Currently he might request a song from his They Might Be Giants CD, but also when our Elvis Costello CD is playing he'll say "I like this song!" His most requested song is "Downtown" ("when you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go...downtown!") - it was on a "mix" CD that my husband had made and Kai fell in love with that song!

kedss
12-10-2005, 06:32 AM
after DS was born, i promised him the first music i would play for him when we got him was Lyle Lovett, and when we got home he was fussing, until I got out the Lyle Lovett CD, and he calmed down and just listened! :)

He also loves Allison Krauss and the Dixie Chicks(though DH hates their politics, so I only play them when he's not home, heheh) and one night last week, PBS had Renee Fleming on, and DS sat and listened, and clapped when the audience clapped. He also loves Eva Cassidy.

I've tried kids CDs and he just doesn't really get into them.

octmom
12-10-2005, 06:52 AM
DS has pretty good taste in music. For a long, long time, Keb MO (bluesy) was his favorite. Lately, he's into the new Paul McCartney album. He started singing along to one song in the car yesterday. :)

But, he does like the music from Miss Spider's Sunnypatch Kids too. "Bug Buddies" is a favorite song.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

deenass
12-10-2005, 08:46 AM
DS requests "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy" whne in my husband's car and "Mamma Mia" by ABBA in my car.

The signifigance of that just hit me.

chiqanita
12-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Charlie sounds like my kind of guy...disco is one of my favorites.
A good baseline and harmony get my fellas off the ground and shaking what they were born with.

chiqanita
12-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey, my DH is with your DH on the politics issue...he grumbles under his breath everytime I put them on.

My guys are the same way with kid CDs...they're not very interested but they do like one of the Veggie Tales: Sunday Morning Songs (something like that).

ctmom
12-10-2005, 10:55 AM
my girls always request either Green Day "Dookie" or the soundtrack to Shrek 2...no kid music in my car!

muskiesusan
12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Right now we are listening to a lot of Barenaked Ladies. It makes everyone happy!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

crl
12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Bob Dylan. And his current favorite is "Beeswing" by Richard Thomas (I think) which is like 7 minutes long and includes the phrase "hard booze" once. DS requests the song by saying "hard booze." Of course.

smallestangel
12-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Laurence Welk. Seriously. Grandma watches it on PBS and it has sucked my son in. :P

Amanda

WildMax
12-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I have wonderful memories of the Lawrence Welk Show...and my grandparents.
What a wonderful experience for your DS.

smallestangel
12-10-2005, 10:58 PM
>I have wonderful memories of the Lawrence Welk Show...and my
>grandparents.
>What a wonderful experience for your DS.

Oh, I hope my post didn't offend you or anything! It's just that LW isn't quite my speed. But she loves that he loves it so it's fine by me. :)

Amanda

crayonblue
12-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Lauren likes Josh Groban. In fact, I have a CD of the choir from our church and when one of the male soloists performs, she says, "JOSH!" I need to tell the guy- what a compliment!

Lauren also loves the dance scene from Hitch. The "Make the pizza" scene. That is her kind of music!

lisaE
12-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Connor loves Rufus Wainwright- especially "14th Street." Every time I play it in the car, when it's over, he signs "more" and says more, more.

Thank goodness he has good taste in music! A friend of mine can no longer listen to anything in the car except for the Backyardigans CD.

KrisM
12-11-2005, 11:31 PM
DS also likes Allison Krauss!

His other favorites are Lucinda Williams, Son Volt, and the Jayhawks. We have a DVD of Son Volt on Austin City Limits that he loves. He can actually say Son Volt. It's funny.

elliput
12-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Around the house, DD hears a lot of classical and new age music (via the cable music channels). Occaisionally I'll mix it up a bit with some show tunes and Disney radio. At daycare, she hears a variety of music.

While in DH's car, DD listens to Phantom of the Opera and Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell . Music of the Night from Phantom does wonders!

kep
12-12-2005, 04:33 AM
My son *loves* Josh Groban. He requests #12, I think it is. Anyway, it's the "You lift me up" song. Kids are so funny! :)

Kelli
Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."
- W.S. Ross

kep
12-12-2005, 04:53 AM
My son absoluetly loves the new Rascal Flatts song "Skin". He calls it "favorite song" and asks for it everytime we get in the car. He doesn't quite understand the concept of radio yet. He thinks I can just make it come on anytime. ;) Luckily I like the song, too, although it is kind of a tough subject for a two year old!

Kelli
Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."
- W.S. Ross

nicoleandjackson
12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Everything, everything, everything!

Right now in heavy rotation at our house are:

R.E.M. best of R.E.M. (DS loves "Imitation of Life", and calls it the "C'mon Song")
Songs from Bear in the Big Blue House (he knows every word to every song, and we have to sing in two-part harmony together!!!)
The soundtrack to Cirque du Soleil's KA (also known as "Fire Songs" from the cover art)
They Might Be Giants "No!"

...but the best is DH has a bajillion songs on his iPod, so DS is very fond of the Beastie Boys ("Intergalactic", "Sure Shot"), the Rolling Stones ("Sympathy for the Devil", "You Can't Always Get What You Want"), Beck ("Girl"), Jimmy Eat World ("In the Middle"), Tom Petty ("American Girl"), and the piece de resistance, the theme song to the "Legend of Zelda" series and the song written about Link by System of a Down.

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

Who's the Biggest Boy? It's Jackson!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020430/1/2/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

writermama
12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
My DD loves the Beach Boys. She calls them the "Sea Boys."

Coolamber
12-12-2005, 11:18 PM
My DD is a Parrothead. She loves Jimmy Buffet.
Mollie